October 22, 2014 | 946 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Expertwear 8 Shadow Pan - Twilight Rays

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2011 2:56:00 PM More reviews by VegetaFanGirl

*EDIT* I don't like this shadow very much- it's honestly very crumbly and chalky. I thought it was awesome when I first used it, but then again, this was my very first set of eyeshadows so of course I loved it! The pigmentation isn't awesome when used with a brush- when I swatch it with my fingers, it looks fine. When I put it on with a brush, it looks terribly underdone. It blends super sheer and it isn't buildable at all. It comes in three types of finishes, matte, satin and metallic. The metallic is kind of okay, but the matte and satin are terrible. It creases, feels chalky, and is just terrible quality in general. I paid $8 for this, and I won't be repurchasing this set.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2011 9:24:00 PM More reviews by cedarnetwal

I have three of the Expertwear 8 Shadow Pans from Maybelline, and Twilight Rays is my least favorite. I thought that the blues and purples would be pretty, but the blues looked grey on my lid when I blended them out, and the pigmentation on the purples was not that great. The dark navy blue was the shadow I was most excited about...and it was also the one I was most disappointed about. It was chalky, lacked pigmentation, and didn't seem to stick to my lid (even with primer or a cream eyeshadow base).

However, the white and the silver are quite nice shadows. But seriously, 2 good shadows out of 8? I do not reccomend this palette--ther are many other blue/purple drugstore palettes that have way better quality.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2011 12:45:00 PM More reviews by lumi90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really enjoy this product. It's easy to apply, and will last nearly throughout the entire day. If I'm going out at night, I do have to touchup just a bit. The colors are an odd combination of not as intense and very intense when actually applied, The blue colors show up much better than the purple/pinks. I have very very light skin, so I definitely expected the purple and pink colors to show better than they did. It is not the absolute best, but I would definitely buy this product again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2010 1:27:00 PM More reviews by ByWayofBoston

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I want to love this product; I really do. I'm traveling internationally within the next month and didn't want to bring my entire makeup stash with me, so I went hunting for a multi-shadow compact I could travel with easily. I zoomed in on Twilight Rays because the colors are gorgeous, fit my personal color preferences, and look like they should have a rich color pay off when you look at them in the packaging. Maybelline's Pretty Grey (R.I.P) was always my favorite eyeshadow, so I bought this pan because there is one shade that is very close. Bad decision.

I am so disappointed that it's nothing like the consistency and look of previous Maybelline eyeshadows. I know it's a drugstore brand so I shouldn't expect miracles, but this pan is really terrible. The colors are flaky and leave fall-out all over my cheeks. The colors are thin and barely show up, even with a primer, with the exception of the dark shimmery blue, which definitely shows up, but is nearly impossible to blend.

I spent $9 on this pan, and so I intend to use it, but I will never buy it again (unless the formula undergoes a serious overhaul).

From here on out, instead of buying cheap travel makeup, I'll pick up a 4-pan MAC eyeshadow palette and stick with my MAC shadows.

**EDIT: I've been using this palette for a few days now, trying to make it work, and I'm actually quite pleasantly surprised to say that it's not as bad as I initially stated.

For whatever reason, the color is now richly pigmented when I apply it. It shows up fantastically with and without primer, and the colors blend fantastically.

I don't know if it was a case of needing to wear through a few layers of the shadow before hitting the actual color or what, but now it works fabulously! I'm still not sure I could recommend it to anyone, but I don't feel I wasted my money anymore, for whatever that's worth.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2010 5:55:00 PM More reviews by LilacShine9

These eyeshadow colors look great before trying them, then you find they have either little pigment and/or too much fallout. Id rather spend money on a better drugstore eyeshadow.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2010 10:02:00 PM More reviews by Dawnzie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Aw...I feel bad for this product. It's gotten such awful reviews! I actually love this palette and it's one of the first ones I ever bought and I still use it now. Yes, the colors are a bit "chalky" and there's quite a bit of fallout but that's greatly reduced if you use a primer. I've found that these don't crease on me and they're nicely pigmented. I also really liked the colors, they're rather pretty (maybe that's only because I have such a soft spot for shimmer/glitters). The white is the perfect for the corners of my eyes, really opens them up. Much better than any Cover Girl eyeshadow.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/15/2010 2:48:00 AM More reviews by xVanniex

This was very chalky and i found the glitters && shimmers to be very annoying.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2010 6:48:00 PM More reviews by XxLauRUNxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this palette because i love purples, and it had 2 great highlight colors (pearly white and a shimmery silver). The colors are very chalky, like previously stated. There is way too much fallout, and it takes a lot to cover one lid... i mix the purples together and highlight with the silver when i go out sometimes, and it's somewhat decent, but i can't use the blue at all... the dark is too pigmented, and doesnt spread out so it looks like i have dead eyes. creepy lol. I wouldnt buy it again, but i'lll probably use the purples and the highlights to the pan.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2009 6:58:00 PM More reviews by colombianaj93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i really dislike this product, i agree with others that it is chalky and does not blend well, does not cling well and it spreads around to much, its messy. it might look nice at first but its not, but works well on putting over cream eyeshadows of the same colors

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2009 6:44:00 PM More reviews by zoeykim18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Ugh horrible impulse buy and waste of money, even at only $8CDN. I should have read MUA reviews first. Chalky, muddy, speckly sparkley and hardly any colour payoff. >=( If I could find my receipt I'd return it! UPDATE/EDIT: I added 1 lippie (2 --> 3) b/c these apply half decently, have better pigmentataion and staying powder when used wet. Still would never repurchase though