August 1, 2014 | 1282 users online

Styling Products - Garnier - Fructis Style Play Style Reshapable Putty - Strong

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2009 1:41:00 PM More reviews by kinkaju

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm not blown away by this product. I suppose it does allow my short fine hair to have more separation. But that's because it makes it look like my hair is dirty and matte. Maybe I just don't know how to really use these type of products the way they are meant to be used. Also it seems to be too heavy on my fine hair and rather than allowing it to be kind of wispy and spikey on top, it weighs my hair down and makes it curl. I've tried using more and I've tried using less. I've tried using it on dry hair as well as towel dried. I just don't think this works for me. I despise the smell of this stuff. Right out of the jar it smells like a combination of dirty hair and some kind of putty that you'd find in a garage to be used on cars. Although I find the scent of ALL Garnier hair products to have this same kind of dirty wax smell. I probably won't buy this again but will continue my hunt for the non-existent HG hair product.
>>>EDIT: Ok I have been applying this product to towel dried hair and then letting it air-dry and then "breaking the shell-head" and messing up my hair and liking the result. I guess applying it to bone-dry hair it seemed like I had to use a lot of product to cover the strands and by that point it made my hair feel gunky and dirty. Applying this to damp hair it spreads more evenly and allowing it to air dry it gives my fine hair a little more oomph because it's not frizzy just-washed hair. Adding a lippie. Still hate the smell though.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by juliey88

There is a lot of product in this little jar, but then again I use it every so often. It's like goop, like the other reviewers said. I would buy it again becuase it does help my hair stay in place (especialy for those flyaways!) w/out weighing down my fine hair (like gel does). I wouldn't use it as a styling tool, since it doesn't keep my bangs completly off my face, but it's good. I like the smell, as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2008 2:56:00 PM More reviews by pacookley

The name of this product is really confusing but it works wonderful for controlling curls and frizz. I have a combination of 3a hair on top and 3b hair underneath. I use this product on wet hair after I use Garnier Leave-In Conditioner and then let it air dry. My hair dries to beautiful, frizz-free, ringlets that are shiny and well-defined. My hair is not stiff or crunchy, but soft and silky. This is truly my HG product. The only negative I have is for the packaging. It is just gross sticking my fingers into a bowl of goop. A tube or a pump would be much better.

***Update--10/18/08***
I am taking away 2 lippies due to the fact this product has contributed to extreme drying of my hair. After a couple months use of this product, my ends have started to become matted together and very brittle. Its a shame bc this looked so promising in the beginning.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2008 8:50:00 AM More reviews by MewsinProgress

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

[THIS IS THE NEW NAME FOR GARNIER FRUCTIS STYLE SOFT CREAM CURL CREAM - STRONG. SEE NOTE AT THE BOTTOM]

Well, this was something I never thought I would need.

I have no curls - just thick straight hair in a short haircut that sometimes doesn't want to cooperate. I was on vacation, and none of my hair products with me would tame it.... I wanted a piece to stay back that wouldn't stay back... and when I actually got tempted to try Vaseline, I knew I needed to make a trip to the drugstore for quick fix.

Nothing looked appropriate. Nothing was named right. No *Hair Sticker In Placer.* (Gels seemed too wimpy.) But this packaging was a nice sturdy round tub, it was that industrial-looking Garnier Green, I'd heard good things about Fructis, it was labeled *Strong* even though *Soft* was also in the title, and it was on sale for $3. (Walgreens) I figured if it holds curls, maybe it holds straight hair, too.

Know what? It does. It's this thick green gloppy goo -- looks exactly like *Goop* (a grossout toy popular a few years ago). [Update: I hear the new stuff is White -- they left out the dyes when they did the update] I stuck my fingers in the tub and pulled out a teeny bit and stuck it on the piece I wanted behind MY EAR damn it! And the piece stayed behind my ear. Oooooooh! So then I took an even teenier bit and stuck it on the bang that wasn't playing nicely with the other bangs. And it was good. I took what was left on my fingertips, ran it over my palms, and smoothed down the back of my hair, which was puffing out. And Lo, the puffiness smooshed down obediently. Satisfying! Instantaneous!

This is a powerful weapon of control. I shall save it for extreme obedience training when my hair is particularly unruly. But I shall never be without it. I had no negative effects -- wasn't stiff or crunchy, didn't make my hair look greasy -- but the amount I used really was miniscule. And it was enough.

It's thick and goopy for sure..... not really a cream or a lotion, but again -- like Goop (I don't know if you ever played with Goop as a kid). More structure than a cream, which is why I only used like a teeny bit. And when it's cold it could be considered fiber-like for sure. But when it's warmed up (either because you have a really warm bathroom like me or if you've warmed it up in your palms) it gets a little less stiff.

The end. [NOTE: This was named Garnier Fructis Style Soft Curl Cream, Strong when I found it. Although I think I just found old product on the shelves, which is why I can still find it at a few Walgreens, they seem to have just given this a new name to market it to more than just curly girls. The new name is Garnier Fructis Style Play Style Reshapable Putty, Strong. Left the old review so people on the hunt for this product can find it, but repeating here under the new name.]

The old product and its ingredients: Dark Green cap, green goo inside.

Aqua Water , Propylene Glycol , Glycerin , Cetearyl Alcohol , PEG-100 Stearate , Glycerl Stearate , Dimethicone , Yellow 5 CI 19140 , Blue 1 CI 42090 , Sodium Methylparaben , Hydroxypropyl Guar , PEG-150 , Pentaerthrityl Tetrastearate , PEG-90M , PEG-192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides , PEG-70 Mango Glycerides , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride Limonene , Linalool , Citrus Limonium Lemon Extract , Hexyl Cinnamal , Amyl Cinnamal , Parfum Fragrance.

The new product ( Garnier Fructis Style Play Style Reshapable Putty, Strong) and its ingredients: (Red cap, white goo inside)

Water Aqua , Propylene Glycol , Glycerin , Cetearyl Alcohol , PEG-100 Stearate , Glyceryl Stearate , Dimethicone , PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate , Fragrance Parfum , Sodium Methylparaben , Hydroxypropyl Guar , PEG-90M , Limonene , Hexyl Cinnamal , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Linalool , PEG-192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides , PEG-70 Mango Glycerides , Amyl Cinnamal , Lemon Fruit Extract Citrus Limonum

A couple minor ingredients have been switched around, but it looks to be otherwise identical.

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No