December 22, 2014 | 1628 users online

Styling Products - Garnier - Fructis Soft Curl Cream - Strong

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2008 12:58:00 AM More reviews by laynesaidwattt

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Very nice product. Keeps my curls frizz free and defined throughout the day with no crunchiness whatsoever. WORTH EVERY PENNY! Way too bad that they don't make this anymore.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2008 7:39:00 AM More reviews by 1017

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: This has been renamed Play Style or something like that. It has a red cap.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2008 12:22:00 AM More reviews by MewsinProgress

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

[READ THE UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM. THIS PRODUCT HAS BEEN RENAMED -- Garnier Fructis Style Play Style Reshapable Putty, Strong -- YOU STILL MAY BE ABLE TO FIND THE OLD NAME AT SOME DRUGSTORES, BUT FOR REPLENISHING, TAKE NOTE OF THE NEW NAME]

Well, this was something I never thought I would need.

I have no curls - just thick straight hair in a short haircut that sometimes doesn't want to cooperate. I was on vacation, and none of my hair products with me would tame it.... I wanted a piece to stay back that wouldn't stay back... and when I actually got tempted to try Vaseline, I knew I needed to make a trip to the drugstore for quick fix.

Nothing looked appropriate. Nothing was named right. No *Hair Sticker In Placer.* (Gels seemed too wimpy.) But this packaging was a nice sturdy round tub, it was that industrial-looking Garnier Green, I'd heard good things about Fructis, it was labeled *Strong* even though *Soft* was also in the title, and it was on sale for $3. (Walgreens) I figured if it holds curls, maybe it holds straight hair, too.

Know what? It does. It's this thick green gloppy goo -- looks exactly like *Goop* (a grossout toy popular a few years ago). I stuck my fingers in the tub and pulled out a teeny bit and stuck it on the piece I wanted behind MY EAR damn it! And the piece stayed behind my ear. Oooooooh! So then I took an even teenier bit and stuck it on the bang that wasn't playing nicely with the other bangs. And it was good. I took what was left on my fingertips, ran it over my palms, and smoothed down the back of my hair, which was puffing out. And Lo, the puffiness smooshed down obediently. Satisfying! Instantaneous!

This is a powerful weapon of control. I shall save it for extreme obedience training when my hair is particularly unruly. But I shall never be without it. I had no negative effects -- wasn't stiff or crunchy, didn't make my hair look greasy -- but the amount I used really was miniscule. And it was enough.

It's thick and goopy for sure..... not really a cream or a lotion, but again -- like Goop (I don't know if you ever played with Goop as a kid). More structure than a cream, which is why I only used like a teeny bit. And when it's cold it could be considered fiber-like for sure. But when it's warmed up (either because you have a really warm bathroom like me or if you've warmed it up in your palms) it gets a little less stiff.

The end. [UPDATE: Although I think I just found old product on the shelves, which is why I can still find it at a few Walgreens, they seem to have just given this a new name to market it to more than just curly girls. The new name is Garnier Fructis Style Play Style Reshapable Putty, Strong. Leaving this review here so people on the hunt for this product can find it, but I'll repeat under the new name.]

The old product and its ingredients: (Dark green cap, green goo inside)

Aqua Water , Propylene Glycol , Glycerin , Cetearyl Alcohol , PEG-100 Stearate , Glycerl Stearate , Dimethicone , Yellow 5 CI 19140 , Blue 1 CI 42090 , Sodium Methylparaben , Hydroxypropyl Guar , PEG-150 , Pentaerthrityl Tetrastearate , PEG-90M , PEG-192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides , PEG-70 Mango Glycerides , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride Limonene , Linalool , Citrus Limonium Lemon Extract , Hexyl Cinnamal , Amyl Cinnamal , Parfum Fragrance.

The new product ( Garnier Fructis Style Play Style Reshapable Putty, Strong) and its ingredients: (Red cap, white goo inside)

Water Aqua , Propylene Glycol , Glycerin , Cetearyl Alcohol , PEG-100 Stearate , Glyceryl Stearate , Dimethicone , PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate , Fragrance Parfum , Sodium Methylparaben , Hydroxypropyl Guar , PEG-90M , Limonene , Hexyl Cinnamal , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Linalool , PEG-192 Apricot Kernel Glycerides , PEG-70 Mango Glycerides , Amyl Cinnamal , Lemon Fruit Extract Citrus Limonum

A couple minor ingredients have been switched around, but it looks to be otherwise identical.