October 1, 2014 | 1714 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade version of Biore Pore Strips

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by KatWKSF

I found the recipe and technique for the homemade pore strips featured on numerous websites and blogs, with all basically the same information. As suggested, I used Knorr unflavored powdered gelatin and milk, barely warmed in the microwave, spread on my face to dry for about 10 minutes. I can't believe the useful tips they DON'T tell you on these sites that cost me dearly! First, DON'T apply the mask anywhere near any delicate skin, especially the eye area. And I mean NOWHERE near your eye area. I applied the mask with a new pastry brush in a few broad stroked across my nose, forehead, cheeks, and jaw, NOWHERE near my eyes...but it takes SO much pulling to remove the mask that it was STILL tearing at my delicate eye-area skin when I removed the nose part of the mask. Super-painful and damaging! But WORST OF ALL, I had NO idea this mask had the ability to tear out hair. It ripped off the corner of my left eyebrow before I realized that it had the strength to do so. I have extremely sparse, light-colored brows to begin with, and now I have one with no definition at the end of it. SO embarassing! I will be armed with an eyebrow pencil for weeks. This mask did NOTHING amazing to my skin, nothing that any other mask or product can't do with less hassle and less damage. Also, it smelled like baby barf, and it was ALARMINGLY difficult to remove. (I actually gave up on trying to tear/peel it off my skin, and resorted to applying warm, wet washcloths to try and disolve the mask.) Save yourself the pain & trouble, and buy a real pore strip or mask product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2010 10:38:00 PM More reviews by frostythesnowman81

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This smells awful. Just a tip: make sure the mixture is thin, it won't be as effective at pulling the blackheads out otherwise. This works well but google "egg and toilet paper mask" for a better DIY recipe.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2010 5:43:00 PM More reviews by jubez

I just watched a DIY video that MichellePhan on Youtube posted on homemade pore strips. After using Pur Minerals Mineral Mudd Masque and having being disappointed since it didn't get rid of my blackheads, I ran to my local grocery store and bought some Knox. I used only half a tbsp of gelatin and half a tbsp of 2% milk. Heated it up for 10 seconds and stirred. I applied this only to my nose area and waited for it to dry COMPLETELY! When removing it, it was kind of hard however the end result was amazing. It was disgusting and cool at the same time to see the gunk that came out. So, this works for me and has made my nose completely smooth and even. I'm not sure how often you're supposed to do this or if it will make your pores appear larger down the long run. None the less, it's cheap and fun to do!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2010 9:07:00 PM More reviews by gryph

This absolutely did not work! I gave it two chances, and it did nothing. I had a few blackheads quite close to the surface that the Biore strips would have gotten no problem and they are still in my face. The mixture smells absolutely revolting, and takes quite a bit of time to dry so you have to put up with it. I don't know how people get these to work, I followed the directions exactly as many have reported, and they could not remove a single blackhead from my nose or chin. I tried twice, they failed twice, I will not use this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2008 3:25:00 PM More reviews by verdant0green

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a review for the homemade Biore Strip recipe. First off, what it is:

1 Tbs Knox unflavored gelatin (usually found in the baking aisle or by the jello on the top shelf)
1.5 Tbs milk

Step 1: Mix together.

Step 2: Heat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. It is ready when it is a goopy liquid, no clumps.

Step 3: As soon as it has cooled down enough so that it won't burn you, slather on your nose and chin. Work quickly so it doesn't start to set up. You only need a thin layer.

Step 4: After 15 mins, peel off. It will stiffen up quite a bit and form a film that peels off just like the Biore strips. Make sure it is COMPLETELY dry before peeling off, otherwise it won't work.

----

How well does it work? And what are the downsides?

Well first off, it stinks. Either the gelatin or the milk or the two combined have a really odd odor, so that's a bit of a turn-off.

Secondly, it looks like someone threw a bucket of snot on your face, so either make sure you're alone when you use this, or warn whoever might come in contact with you first.

Lastly, it isn't as convenient to use as the strips, but this is a fraction of the cost and works just as well so can't really count this against it.

----

One final point...as always, avoid putting this on sensitive skin areas (cheeks, etc), as it will pull just as much as the Biore strips do and hurt like a mutha.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No