November 20, 2014 | 1969 users online

Powder - Silk Naturals - Mineral Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2014 5:54:00 PM More reviews by shybrowneyedgrl

hello anyone know whats the best mosturizer to wear under mineral foundation, and since im in the medium shade but with golden undertone but no green or pink . does anyone have a good mix i can try. i did like 6 white and 2 butter gold and some of warm gold, but it does look to dark on me . HELP PLEASE

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2013 11:36:00 PM More reviews by daz4

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used everyday minerals in fawn (now discontinued but a beautiful fair yellow based shade) and then winged butter in summer then with color and formula changes tried and used Lucy minerals. I was looking for something with more yellow shades and found silk naturals. I am finding that coverage and staying power are definitely lacking on this. Also struggling with color; I tried warm gold and much too brown in the base. Nice foundation if you want to mix colors possibly but not enough coverage and like 10 minutes of staying power on me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 8:07:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, I'm going to have say this is a no go for me. I could not get the mix right even after scouring their forums. Every formula I tried just looked like dirt on my face. Just too ashy looking. I do like their blur and perfecting powder and will likely still use those but I think mixing your own foundation is just too much trouble for me personally. Warm Gold was suggested too me but It was just dirty looking on my face, likely too much olive toned.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2013 2:37:00 PM More reviews by ItalianBerry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really, really wanted to like this product. I loved the concept: natural ingredients, mixing it myself to achieve a perfect colour for my skin tone, a light coverage for every day use.
Unfortunately, I was severely disappointed. I bought the starter-kit that came with different tones, and tested between olive & warm gold. It took me a long time to mix and find my colour, which is definitely not as easy as it looks. After mixing to perfection, the colour was correct but too "blocky" and dull looking, it didn't give me a bright dewy appearance but a sort of dirty dullness. I got the original because I have good skin (no spots, just some redness and minor blemishes). This covered nothing, not even the most minor skin blemishes. It did the same job as my translucent finishing powder. When trying to top up, it made my skin look too powdery and chalky. After one hour, my skin looking super oily (even though my skin is not oily at all). The packaging is inconvenient which made it easy to spill a lot of powder. Very disappointed with this product, which is a pity because I had high expectations.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2012 11:37:00 PM More reviews by theopenwindowmaniac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Silk Naturals is PHENOMENAL! I got the heavy coverage starter kit in ebony and the value is amazing. I'll be able to use it for at least 4 months. What else is good is you can buy untinted base and the foundation tint separately. I'm very fair, so I know I'll need to buy lots of untinted base before I need more tint. There are also three levels of coverage, so you can choose the amount of coverage you need. I chose heavy because I have a lot of redness and freckles I like to cover, and Bare Minerals wasn't cutting it. The heavy coverage completely transforms my skin and doesn't feel like a mask whatsoever. One possible negative I noticed other reviewers commenting on was that mixing the foundation can be difficult. If you have odd coloration or problem skin, it could be a time consuming process to mix your shade, but definitely don't rule out Silk Naturals. However, I think the majority of people won't have a hard time mixing. Mine came out a little too pink, but it blends so well that you don't have to get it perfect for it to match. I would definitely recommend Silk Naturals to everyone who wears mineral foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2012 6:41:00 PM More reviews by betriix

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I loved the idea of mixing my own perfect shade, but after literally months of trying to get it right, I finally threw in the towel. To be fair, I have a lot of redness from rosacea, as well as some hyper-pigmentation, and even if my skin were perfect, it still is not one flat shade by any means. However, there are two issues I had with the Silk Naturals system that made it unworkable for me. First off I didn't find the formulas to be very natural looking on my mature skin, so even though I tried both medium coverage and original, neither looked very good even when the shade was very close. Second, the base shades that we're supposed to start with are all extremely brown and/or olive, except for the peach, which is extremely red. My skin falls more in the yellow range, with a dash of peach, pink and beige. But neither buttery gold nor warm gold was even remotely close! Basically I would have had to use primarily yellow and pink booster, with just a dash of buttery or warm gold. At that point it gets really confusing, not to mention difficult to experiment with since there are so many scoops of this and that. I literally bought some special "micro" measuring spoons online so that I could make smaller test batches.

So... I decided to try some Meow samples once again. I had tried a few before, and liked them but couldn't find a perfect match. This time I nailed it with a half and half mixture of Frisky Siamese and Naughty Manx in Pampered Puss (a very natural looking formula). I'm so relieved to finally put away all my mixing bowls, measuring spoons, packets of this and jars of that. Ugh! I can't believe how much time I've wasted! Many of you with less skin challenges than I have may fare better with Silk Naturals, so I would still recommend them, but not for me.

So here's a tip for those of you hoping to formulate a sunny yellow-based shade like EDM Winged Butter or Light; Meow's Angora, Manx, Chartreux, Abyssinian; Alima Warm, etc. Don't search the forums for advice, because the suggestions for duping these colors won't work. Instead, purchase a crap load of the yellow booster and maybe one packet of the pink booster, and expect to be using more booster than pre-blended color base. As far as which color base to choose, it won't matter all that much in the end, because you're basically just using it to add a dash of brown. Just pick one that sounds reasonable, and you'll be fine.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by hrolson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This mix-it-yourself powder mineral foundation has been the perfect foundation for me. As I have acne-prone skin, I switched from a liquid foundation to this to help keep pores unclogged. It does just that, and very few of my pores are now clogged. Being fair skinned, I really enjoyed being able to develop a "recipe" of white foundation + tint that never looks too dark on me. Because of blemishes and acne scars, I use the medium coverage foundation base instead of the original, which I have read doesn't have much coverage. The medium coverage is perfect and looks extremely natural in most lights. It does not look heavy but makes my skin look like my skin, but better.

If you have an idea of the level of coverage you want (i.e., original, medium, heavy, all-purpose, vegan -- you can read about them on the silknaturals website), order a sample kit of that foundation base that comes with little samples of the different tints, post a photo of yourself without makeup in natural light to the forum on the website, and one of the company's experts (thanks JenW!) will reply promptly and advise a good recipe of number of scoops of base plus a scoop of a certain tint. Your sample kit will have what you need to try different recipes out.

This foundation looks good for probably about ten hours before it needs touching up. I also use SilkNaturals untinted oil control "blur" to set the foundation and control oil.

Not only do I love this product but I love this company and their great customer service. I highly recommend checking out their website and all that they offer.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2012 12:50:00 AM More reviews by pinkcandii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

tbcompleted in a sec

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2012 11:23:00 PM More reviews by Surfaddict

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

So far this is the best mineral makeup I've tried. It looks super natural, is weightless, you actually REALLY can't see it on your face, even when you work big amounts and the color is adjustable (can be a pain though if you need a quick fix an realize you're out of foundation). Also it doesn't stain clothes, pillows, your boyfriend's clothes etc. Like I can nap on a white pillow with it on and it's gonna leave nothing.
I ran out of the white powder and it takes few weeks to arrive to my destination so I purchased Youngblood which was actually A LOT more expensive, and it can't be compared. Yes, the coverage, but Silk Naturals foundation stays on for the whole day while Youngblood runs and melts. Also Silk Naturals won't accentuate your pores and imperfections. I'd also recommend to get a "glow" powder to mix with the foundation, it gives a really nice dewy look without sparkles. I've been using this product for over 1.5 years and have no thoughts about trying something new.
I've uploaded a picture here where I'm wearing it, it is only foundation there yet, no glows, though I pre-mix the glow which those who like matte finish might wanna skip.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

With rosacea and SD, I'm constantly searching for a non-irritating foundation. This wasn't it.

First, this is a mix-the-powders-yourself-approach and getting the right color to match my skin was a pain. I have a fair complexion so a dark color wouldn't have looked right but the color mix that matched my skin offered very little coverage.

Worse, the foundation not only flared my rosacea but kept it flared until I finally cleaned it off. Looking at the ingredients, Maybe (?) it was due to:

mica:
Sciencelab.com: "Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant)" "Mica is made from pulverized (crushed) rock which tends to have sharp microscopic edges causing micro-tears when buffed onto the skin. It can also cause further irritation to women with acne and rosacea making both of these conditions worsen." (Sterling Minerals)

Chromium Green:
sciencelab: "Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant)"

Whatever it was, I won't be using this product again.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No