November 26, 2014 | 1622 users online

Hair Treatments - Dabur Amla Oil

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2014 4:08:00 AM More reviews by msbluestone13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ah.. my good old amla oil by dabur. You know--at first I didnt like it much. Until I had a patch of hair gone from my temple bcuz idk why.. anyway-then I kept using it. And it grew back quickly. Now I use it daily after I shower to keep my hair in check and to ward off frizzies. I no longer use any hairspray or mousse. Maybe on rare ooccasion.. but now I just use this. My hair is once again in GREAT condition and I even put it in my 11 yr old son's hair(we Are native american--Navajo & Pima so his hair is past his waist. Anyway.. I think I ll use this forever. It works well and costs next to nothing. I am now all about middle eastern and Indian (from India) hair care.. that's why their women have such long beautiful hair in great condition :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2014 3:39:00 PM More reviews by Dgm102

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wasn't too impressed when I first started using this oil, until I realised that I wasn't applying the right way. I used to put some on my roots straight from the bottle and let it sit for 1 hour, but washing it off was a hassle and I always ended up with greasy hair. What I now do is this:

- heat the oil up by leaving it out in the sun for a few hours
- apply to roots and massage for 10mins so that it gets to the scalp
- comb it to spread the oil evenly along the hair
- braid it and let it sit for 1-2 hours
- wash it off with lukewarm water only first, massaging the hair and scalp under the running water - this helps avoid oily hair afterwards
- shampoo gently. You must remember that this is an Ayurvedic oil so for best results you have to use it with other Ayurvedic remedies. I use a neem-based shampoo and I'm always blown away by the results.

Yes, the whole thing is time-consuming but a hot oil hair treatment is the perfect excuse to enjoy some 'me' time.

I used to have lush dark brown hair but I started experiencing massive hair loss and thinning. After 1 month using this oil I can definitely see that my hair is getting back into shape. After one year of hair loss I'm starting to see growth around the temples, also my hair looks definitely healthier and the shine is back. And it's not just me, people have remarked on how much better it looks without knowing that I was using this oil. So my advice is be patient and persistent and you'll see the results!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by EmiTheGreat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Last week I've visited a local Asian food store which also sells cosmetic products. The lady there recommended me the Dabur Amla Gold Hair Oil for hair growth.
What the package says: For long, soft & strong hair. Amla, helps strengthen hair from root to tips. Almonds, helps moisturize and soften hair. Henna, helps condition hair.

My experience. First I used this as a leave in, but it left my hair greasy, so I decided to use it as a pre-shampooing. It contains mineral oils and silicones, so I was a bit dissapointed, I expected it to be more natural. I apply it about one hour before shampooing and I plan to use it once a week (I wash my hair twice).. It leaves my hair shiny and silky, but it is difficult to wash out. It is goof if you have very dry hair, it really moisturizes, but otherwise, I would recommend you a more natural product without silicones.

I will probably repurchase it, or, it there are any, another product of Dabur which is silicone free.

Love Emi <3

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Sp6

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Loved using this product, not sure if it's the best oil out there but I was recommended this by several of my Indian friends. Smells beautiful, very easy to apply but you only need a small amount. Definitely made my hair shinier, possibly a little greasy as I sometimes used too much product ! I wouldn't say it made my hair grow, but it definitely appeared more healthy. I bought this of ebay very cheap, can't wait to buy my next bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2013 5:10:00 AM More reviews by emmjaepenniman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Another product from Dabur that I highly recommend. I use this as a pre-poo treatment, I leave it on my hair for an hour and wash and condition it out... it makes a difference in your hair and it smells nice. I've also used the jasmine oil and give it the same rating.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 8:39:00 PM More reviews by bubblygirl

I totally hate this product and probably wouldn't buy it for myself. Why the four lippie review and the "yes" to repurchase? Well, it actually does work.

I'm of Indian heritage so I'm familiar with our traditions of hair oiling. There is also an obsession in the Indian world with hair breakage and shedding (or "hairfall"). While I prefer using another Dabur product (the Vatika hair oil) or other Ayurvedic based coconut oils, my sister and mother have started using the Amla oil as their hair treatment and are staunch defenders of this product.

My sister uses a smaller bottle from an Indian grocery store; I think she paid about $3-5 for it. For that same price, in India we got a 500 ml bottle, no joke. My sister says it makes her sometimes color- and chemically-treated hair much softer and shinier. For my mom, it makes an even more dramatic and important difference. My mother has always had really, really thin hair due to a combination of genetics and really poor health. You can see her scalp in certain areas. Additionally, she went gray at a young age (again, poor health). After using the amla oil, some of her hairline has been restored, and some of her white hairs have turned into a darker steel gray color. While she doesn't have the thick hair my sister and I have, it's still a noticeable improvement--this has been the nicest her hair has been in about 20 years.

I've used it occasionally myself when I was shedding more than usual, and believe me, this WORKS. I just have a few issues with the product myself, which is why I'll never buy a full bottle myself (I'll just sometimes use my sister's or mom's bottle). First, the cap on the bottle is enormous and you can't control the amount that comes out. I guess this can be remedied easily by changing the bottle. The second issue is that this contains mineral oil, which I try to limit. Mineral oil isn't necessarily bad for hair, but for my hair, a really high amount means it can't be washed out, yet doesn't get absorbed, preventing all my moisture from entering. In this sense I believe that the export quality ones are inferior to the bottles in India--the Indian ones have more vegetable oil content, while many of the export quality ones have only mineral oil and amla. The third, and most important for me, is that this oil smells like rotting vegetables to me and my father. My mom and sister say they can't smell anything. While it is far too stinky for me to ever buy, if you have a hairfall issue, don't let smell bother you, because it does go away after shampooing. It's just for me, I oil overnight, or during the entire day, so I can't use something that makes me want to gag that long.

If you are in the mood to try other oils, my two other favorites are the previously mentioned Dabur Vatika oil, and the Dhathri Herbal Hair oil (this one is harder to find; to date I've only found it in India, but I have friends that claim they've seen it in Indo-Pak stores in the US).

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2013 12:47:00 PM More reviews by redlipsthickhips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I decided to use Amla as a pre-poo treatment for my hair. Like others have already pointed out there is a distinct smell but it doesn't bother me. It actually reminds me of incense. If it's too bothersome for you, you could try adding some drops of lavender oil. I found the opening of the bottle inconvenient so I emptied it into a spray bottle instead. This made it much easier to operate. I also found the color of the oil (a dark green) a little off putting. I left it on for an hour as instructed. I recommend washing this out more than once and using a conditioner afterwards. I didn't and my hair turned out quite dry and limp. It hasn't darkened my color although my hair is pretty dark to begin with anyway. As of right now I'm not overly impressed with the results but I'm going to keep using it for at least another month and I will update again soon. Edit: I've tried my best to stick it out but I've come to the conclusion that this isn't the right oil for me. My hair doesn't look shiner or healthier and I'm very disappointed. I could put up with the smell but the final straw for me was the static it produced. Big thumbs down.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Emilken

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this oil. It's funny, because I have very oily hair and that oil it does not strengthen it.. It makes my hair better, darker (I'm a brunette), extra-volume. The only problem is application - when ypu put it on your hair for all night, should wear some towel or just have worse bedding or cushions (I always wash my hair in the morning).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

In the past I've been a bit snobby about Dabur oils but the simple fact is if you want to encourage re-growth (or just growth!) they work. The Amla Gold doesn't smell as strong as the original, which I actually like the smell of. I previously had shiny, very healthy-looking fairly typical Asian hair right up until my forties when it started to thin. Fortunately I'm getting it back with the help of oils such as these (Ancient Formulae Shikakai is also brilliant but very pungent; Vatika Cactus oil great too - smells good and it's a tad lighter). I still prefer the idea of using more 'natural' oils on my hair and I do use them from time to time, but as long as these oils work, at the rate I'm going through them I'll stick with them!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by laylaperdomo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been combating dandruff due to my regular keratin treatments for years now.

Nothing I have tried, including dandruff specific shampoos, coconut oil and olive oil have completely fixed this issue.

My dandruff got increasingly worse as time has passed.

On one of my husband and daughter's recent trips to Morocco, they came back with a small bottle of this oil that was being used on my daughter's hair by her grandma.

I started putting this on my scalp as a spot treatment after washing my hair and noticed that despite the not so great smell, it was actually helping A LOT!!

I then came to the bible of all make up related reviews, MA, and realized this was indeed a BIG deal!

I also did additional research and learned that women in India have been using this for decades to treat dandruff, hair loss and to promote long, lush dark hair!!

I was so amazed by the discovery that I immediately googled the nearest Indian goods store and stocked up.

Ladies let me tell you that this is hair nutrition at the MAX.

My hair is dandruff free, rich and silky. Plus shedding has diminished SUBSTANTIALLY which is a welcomed added bonus

HOW I APPLY IT:
-Generously massage it into my scalp and ends after wetting my hair for enhanced absorption.
-Leave it on over night and wash it off in the morning
-OR put on a plastic cap and get under the hair dryer for 15 minutes

NOTE
-This must be shampooed out 2-3 times to get it out completely
-The smell is the worst but it does not linger and totally worth the outcome