E.L.F. Nail Polish

3.3

Price: $

Price: $

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, Nitrocellulose, Anhydride/Trimellitic Anhydride/Glycols Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Stearalkonium Bentonite, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) Iron Oxides(CI 77491 , CI 77492 , CI 77499), Red No.6 Lake (CI 15850), Red No.27 Lake (CI 45410), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090)

on 2/21/2015 11:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

I own ELF nail polishes in the colors Chocolate, Dragon Fruit, Smoky Brown and Mauve. I like the consistency of all the polishes, they are opaque with just one coat and the formula is "3-free".

Now a little about the colors: Chocolate is a little too dark for my liking, almost black, so not very versatile. Dragon Fruit is much more candy pink than coral (which is what I expected) so again, not versatile. Smoky Brown and Mauve are gorgeous, very elegant and suitable every day colors.

My complaints about these polishes are that they dry to a dull color, so a good shiny top coat is a must, they chip pretty easily and the brush quality doesn't seem to be standard (for me, the applicator brush for Mauve is very uneven and leaves streaks).

For $2 though, it's fun to try different shades before buying more expensive dupes from other brands.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have two sets of these from Holiday nail cubes and gift sets. They really are hit or miss, some of the glitter shades and metallics are gorgeous on the nail. There are also creams that look great and have a good formula, but overall the cream finishes can be a pain. They are cheap and affordable with quick drying time but chip easily even with a base and top coat. One color even chipped within 12 hours of wear and I had to remove it after just two days.

If you absolutely must have some of thse, I'd suggest buying a set or just one bottle rather than any extensive collecting. Fairy dust is one of the standouts that is worth buying by itself.

on 9/18/2013 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I tried my first E.L.F. polish yesterday afternoon from a four polish kit at TJ Maxx. By this morning most of my nails are already missing polish, some of them severely! I would not purchase again when there are so many other polishes that stay on much longer. The package was also overboard for four polishes, a major waste of plastic. I will not recommend to anyone.

on 7/25/2013 4:02:00 PM

I bought the bam glam package for 3$ which came with the following colors... Blush, Golden Goddess and Cranberry. All I have to say is that the colors are really pretty but the nail polish isn't very good quality. On the first day that I wore one of the nail polish's it fell off almost instantly, it does not last very long at all. Also I think the size of the bottles are not worth a dollar each. It also is really hard to get off no matter how much nail polish remove you put on it, rub it it just doesn't come off! Also the bottles are so small that after using it once you barely have any left. Overall I give a 1/5 and a no to repurchasing.

i bought elf polish in coral dream gorgeous shade but its not very good at all at first i fount it thin & then it got all gooey & then took forever to dry !! least it was only 2.00 $ i'll stick to pure ice if i want a 2.00 polish !

on 6/28/2013 8:25:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

So I bought this in Party Purple and Metal Madness, but the review is mostly for Party Purple, because I only have put Metal Madness on my toenails so far, and things always last longer on toenails.

This is a surprisingly good $2 nail polish! I have soft nails so colors fall off them pretty easily, but Party Purple lasted a week on my hands (with a topcoat on), through house-cleaning, gardening, and kung fu classes. It took three coats to get the right color and it was a little streaky as I did so, but those three coats made it really pretty and even, and it's a super-pretty metallic plum-fuchsia. I totally forgot it was my "cheap nail polish experiment" by day 3! I have OPI's that don't last this long - AND Party Purple is a metallic, which in my experience is supposed to chip like mad...it is really surprising to me how long it lasts.

I am TOTALLY impressed, ELF. I am excited to try out some other colors on my fingernails so I can see if they're all this pretty and durable!

PS - ELF is cruelty-free too. :)

*bumped this down to a four because I didn't like Metal Madness nearly as well as the magical Party Purple. It was sorta runny and thin.

on 5/22/2013 9:15:00 AM

As of today I own nine of E.LF.'s nail polishes and I must say that I love them all!

Pros:
- Extremely affordable price (especially if you're lucky enough to find them on sale.)
- Gorgeous shades, who stay true to the bottle.
- Doesn't chip easily considering the price (they last three to five days without chipping for me, which my more expensive nail polishes do too.)
- The drying time is normal - not fast nor slow.
- Some of the more vibrant shades will only need one coat of polish, if you're a bit careful while you apply it. Amazing!

Cons:
- The shades shown on the website is not how the polish will look in the bottle and on the nails. If you search for swatches before purchasing that problem is easily sold though.
- Sometimes you can be unlucky and get a bad brush, which has hairs sticking out everywhere and overall doesn't feel right. This has only happened to me once though.
- Don't buy the matte topcoat, it'll only mattify your nails 50% of the time.

Overall I really like these polishes and think they're great, if you want a wide range of colours, but don't want to empty your bank account. I'd definitely recommend them!

on 5/20/2013 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I LOVE this newly formulated polish!! For reference, I bought Nude, Mango Madness, Flirty Fuschia and Sea Escape. The shades are all true to the bottle and in ONE coat. I love that the new formula is Toluene and Formaldehyde free so there is virtually NO smell while applying or lingering in the air after.

The brush is a nice size and holds just the right amount of polish to do a nail at a time with no streaks. I have not encountered slow drying time at all in my experience with this brand- I actually find it to dry a lot faster than other, more expensive ones. The finish, when dry, is nice and shiny, though I do always use a chip free top coat to make it last longer. There are A LOT of shades to choose from, ranging from trendy to classic. This brand and formula is a great way to build a polish "wardrobe" without breaking the bank. I am very pleased and highly recommend this nail polish.

UPDATE: 6/5/2013: This is my first update where I am removing lippies! :0( For the first week or so, I loved this polish. Now I am finding the more times I use it, the streakier and thicker it gets. I am trying to remedy this by keeping in the door of my fridge, but I haven't seen much improvement. When I do get it to apply without streaking, the colors and coverage are lovely; it's getting there that's the pain. So while I would still repurchase because of the price and shade options, I will be prepared to take twice as long to get good results...errr...

on 4/29/2013 5:25:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Summation of these polishes: gorgeous pigmented colors, streaky and difficult to apply, chips easily and chips fast. The longest they've gone without chipping is one day; the shortest is 10 minutes after (though considering the other reviews about dry time, I probably didn't wait long enough).

I did buy 3 polishes for 50 cents each at a sale, so you really get what you pay for. Save your money and invest it in a better quality polish.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I love EVERYTHING about my bottle of e.l.f. Copper polish, except the dry time. Seriously SO LONG. I used a quick-dry top coat, and it was still the devil! The top coat had dried, but underneath it was still wet so i got ripples all on my thumb nail :( (at least it's just a thumb nail, right?!). Other than that, I LOVE it. I love the packaging: the cap used to drive me CRAZY until I realized you could just take the square part off! GENIUS! It's like butter london, and I didn't expect that kind of thing out of elf. Also, the formula was excessively smooth and easy to apply! FAVORITE EVER! I think I'll just deal with the dry time in the future cause the color is gorgeous and the application was flawless. Price is okay, you get what you pay for, right?

Popular Polishes