November 21, 2014 | 1789 users online

Eyeliner - Make Up For Ever - Aqua Eyes

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2014 9:47:00 PM More reviews by EscalatorKid

I bought this eyeliner on the recommendation of a Sephora associate. My goal was (is) to find an eyeliner that I can use to tightline my upper lashes with, without having transfer onto the lower lid, waterline, or under eye area. Since I have oily skin, this can be difficult... and despite the SA's suggestion of using a primer (which I do), there's not much point in trying to cram primer between my lashes or to the waterline areas.

I like that this is available in an array of colors. I like a darker brown or a brown-black since my hair color and complexion do not support jet black eyeliner without looking stupid. They have a matte brown (25L) which is what I chose. It's a little lighter than I normally would choose, but this was the darkest matte shade available. (I don't do glitter that close to my eyes.) I think that the 25L brown is a fairly new addition to the lineup.

Application for me was fairly easy. It doesn't tug too much and it is super creamy. In fact, it is too creamy, I think, because it glides on thickly. It was difficult for me to put a super fine line at all, and it also seemed to put it on thickly enough that it would ball up between my lashes. I worked it out putting it on carefully so that it didn't glob up, but it requires some effort.

More than one SA has told me that this was designed for "water ballet" so that it wouldn't come off. I'm sure it is waterproof... it does not appear to be tear-proof or resistant to the natural oil my skin produces.

It smudges before it sets. So, if you want to smudge it down, that's great. You can do so.

However... It never sets. That's what is so bad about this eyeliner. It never sets at all when I tightline with it. I accidentally rubbed my eyes when playing a video game, several hours after application, when it should have been long set, and it smeared bigtime down my lower lid. (Good thing I only wore eyeliner that day and not full-face makeup.) No matter how I apply it, even if I keep my eyelid stretched up and unblinking (which then causes irritation and tears, which apparently break down the eyeliner), it does the same thing; never sets.

I teared up and it transferred onto my lower waterline. It basically wears off even faster than the Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner that isn't even waterproof. It stops transferring after a few minutes.

It seems to take forever to remove. Cotton swabs with Sephora waterproof eye makeup remover does take it off, but there seems to be residue no matter how much you wipe it off.

I wanted to like this, but because it doesn't serve the basic purpose I bought it for, I'm taking this back and trying something else. Probably another pot of Bobbi Brown, which is a shame since I wanted something less apt to dry out and faster to apply.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/16/2014 2:11:00 AM More reviews by Deedianne

Not smudge proof, last about 2 weeks if you use it everyday, nothing great really.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2014 7:10:00 AM More reviews by wubaduckie

I have this product in silver (8L), which I use on my waterline like a white eyeliner. This isn't very soft so sometimes it does tug and hurt. I find it difficult to sharpen sometimes but overall, I think this is an ok liner. It's "waterproof" to me but I've only used it on my waterline and on the inner corners of my eyes, not as a liner for my lash line. I would say I have oily eyelids but I don't notice much smudging because silver is quite a light colour.

I probably won't repurchase only because it's hard to find Make Up For Ever here in Australia and I bought this while I was in the States. I also think it's a bit pricy for a liner I only think is OK.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by Perfection91

This is the only pencil eyeliner that I like.
I've tried UD, Nars, Benefit, Clio, Stila,
UD is too creamy and breaks, Nars is kind of dry and chalky, benefit just doesn't draw the line.. (I have to go thru tugging), clio smudges and stila flakes off. this one doesn't. it doesn't smudge as much as other pencil eyeliners, and it is pretty waterproof.. not fully.
if you have sensitive eyes, and you tend to get teary easily, this won't work. but for a pencil liner its pretty impressive.
consistency is in btw UD and Nars. not too chalky not too smooth

the color 2L is a very pretty brown soft shimmered color that looks very natural and pretty.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2014 3:01:00 AM More reviews by jdsjen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I got this in navy blue and it shows up really nice. Pigmentation's good but not great. One layer won't do. The staying power though...oh my god it's amazing!! I once wore it for about 9 hours and the color didn't fade didn't smudge at all. Definitely will be buying these in other colors...when they're on sale.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2014 8:02:00 PM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

It lasts over primer and wirh powder to set it just as long as any other eye pencil. The application is awful! This pencil is hard and applies unevenly while also tugging at eyelids...I much prefer Urban Decay's 24/7 Eye Pencils for a pencil product. Still the best is gel liner for me as far as staying power and smooth lines when applied. I am truly loving the new Loreal Gel liner more than Mac or Bobbi Brown....it is amazing

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2013 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Songbird1967

I purchased this for my waterline. It was an abysmal disappointment. It didn't stick and what did wore off on no time. Back to Sephora it went.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2013 1:45:00 PM More reviews by kitsunec4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I have pretty oily skin, and nothing stays on smudge-proof, transfer-proof, etc. Nothing. Gel liner pots are my go-to liners, and even they can get kinda smudge-y by the end of the day, so I was pretty skeptical about these pencils.

This stuff is pretty WATERproof, swatching this on my hands and then washing does very little to budge the lines/color without soap and/or eye makeup remover.

These pencils come much closer than any other pencils I've tried to staying in place. Under conditions where I apply this to just skin with tinted moisturizer on, they stay smudge-proof for about 3 hours. Smudge-proof for about 3 hours, then they transfer a little bit, but the color does still stay pretty pigmented and vibrant after a full day at work, even if it smudges.

If I use primer on my lids, the pencils last even longer, I would say about 5 hours before smudging/transferring?

If I want something to stay in place all day, and we're talking all day like, 10+ hours of work and running errands. It probably still is gel liner, carefully applied with a brush on top of primer, and set with eyeshadow; or with a waterproofing medium mixed in.

For very bright and vibrant colors that last decently, these are pretty great. They're basically $20 USD a pop. Sure, there are cheaper eyeliners with fun colors, but in my hands, they don't apply very well or smoothly, and disappear the moment I walk out the door. I would say to not bother getting the black/browns though, there are other liners available that work as well for less, but if you want bright colors that pop, these are worth a look.

As this, and other reviews prove, given how they vary all over the place, your mileage may vary depend on how you apply, where, and what kind of skin you have. If you're lucky enough to be near a MUFE store, though, do go in and try these out.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2013 8:34:00 PM More reviews by zxcver

Lovely colours, soft and easy to apply. They are, as marketed, very water-proof. Unfortunately, they are not as oil/sweat-proof as I would hope. In the humid sub-tropical climate where I live in, lasting power is disappointing for the price (not because of humidity in the air, but because of sweat and oil).

rated 1 of 5 on 10/5/2013 7:19:00 AM More reviews by ctome

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Have this in 5 colors. They do not stay on very long and are not very smooth upon application. I am lucky if it stays on for 3 hours. Note: I have very oily skin but I do use an eye primer prior to applying the eyeliner. Am very disappointed!