August 30, 2014 | 965 users online

Fragrances - Serge Lutens - Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by annasupertramp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My favorite perfume. I've always wanted a signature scent, you know, the scent that represents you and everything you stand for, and the day I received this (as a gift), I knew I had found it and never needed to look further. It's really heavy, warm and cozy. Fits people who like to wear knitted sweaters and sit by the fireplace after having gone for a walk in the fall woods. It's elegant, deep and simple. It's got a hint of masculinity, but not so much that you'll feel like you've turned into a man. It's effortless and inobtrusively sexy. Just a really wonderful scent that never gets old. And I feel oh so darn sensual when I wear it.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by maggiequinn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Tea with lemon and ginger cookies - lovely!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's not as complex or challenging as many Lutens but Five O'clock Au Gingembre is absolutely wonderful and one of my favorites. Overall, it has a spicy impression but interestingly it also has facets of freshness and lightness. Many people have described it as tea time and I agree. You can smell everything: lemon and sugared tea, honeyed ginger cookies, hot water steam and crisp white linen napkins, and even a touch of cologne from your elegant male partner. Remarkable!

Despite the allusions to tea time, this is not a foody scent. The ground ginger at the center of the fragrance has a peppery bite that lifts and energizes and never feels dusty. In fact, it takes on a feeling of dry woodiness that keeps the fragrance from becoming a hefty gourmand. There is a bright, ironed linen note that also helps to maintain a feeling of crispness and lightness. The base is ambery and woody but without the usual mega dose of vanilla.

Part of the reason I like Five O'clock Au Gingembre so much is that it is perfectly judged: delicious without being foody, spicy but not insistent, neither masculine or feminine, rich but not leaden... it would have been so easy for this to become an ultra opulent, super heavy oriental-gourmand but somehow it defies all the categories. What you get is a carefully modulated spicy ginger that is just sweet enough, just dry enough, just clean enough, just woody enough to be perfect.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by alison_k

This fragrance is spicy and citrusy yet with a woody warmness I didn't expect. There is an initial blast of spice, very sharp but fades within a few minutes. Then the woodiness becomes apparent and seems to temper the spice notes. I feel that this a masculine fragrance and although I wouldn't wear this myself, I do like the way it smells. This lasts and lasts on me, and you can tell that this is a quality fragrance, but I wouldn't purchase this.

From Fragrantica: Top notes are tea and bergamot; middle notes are ginger, cinnamon and woodsy notes; base notes are cacao, honey, amber, patchouli and pepper.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 7:21:00 AM More reviews by estc

It is late September in England right now. The nights are getting cooler, the leaves are starting to turn and the days are filled with either soft rain or mellow sunshine. Time for 5 O'Clock au Gingembre to make an appearance and what a class act it is. Close to the skin, luxurious and comforting, like being wrapped in softest cashmere. There is nothing loud in this scent and it is not linear. After an initial burst of sweet ginger it starts to transform into an amber/spice against a background of bittersweet cocoa. it does not have the sickly sweetness of a gourmand and although it is an oriental and a bit smoky due to the amber and cedar notes, it also manages to stay bright. If I could think of three words to describe it, they would be luxe, calme et volupté. This is a gorgeous oriental, soft, seductive, exotic and eminently wearable for either a man or a woman. Every man I have passed today has stopped me to either ask me what I am wearing or to bury their nose on my neck and inhale. Buy it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've tried quite a few Serge Lutens over the last few months and sadly found most to be too pungent. This strikes the right balance for my taste. Its a moody evening fragrance but isn't in your face, it has a smoothness to it. This is a unisex fragrance but I personally think it is suited to women better.

Edit: I originally gave this 4 lippies but on second try a year later I find it much more boring than I remember. It'd still a very well frrgrance but I won't buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2012 2:57:00 PM More reviews by airubgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this on my husband. I know it says it's unisex, but after my wearing it for a day or two I really think it's more suited to men. On him I love, love, love it, on me it's meh.... The warm spicy scent of ginger rounded out with honey and amber makes for a very, very snuggle your nose into his chest worthy scent. Stays close to him but I get subtle whiffs as he walks by. Perfection.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2012 1:36:00 PM More reviews by TaniaRides

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

"A fresh oriental with notes of bergamot, vetiver, ginger, honey, beeswax, cistus labdanum and vanilla."
When I first put this on, I thought that I might actually enjoy it. It starts off with a cheery burst of something like crisp white tea with lemon and a spicy ginger tea with honey.
As it dries down, though, this turns to pure, harsh smokiness on me. Dark, smoky vetiver. It smells a lot like woodsmoke, like I fell into a campfire. I can't pick out any of the tea-like notes after about ten minutes.
Just doesn't work out on me...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by ccspringer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre is a delectable treat of a fragrance, a nice, brief indulgence and not too much more. It opens with spicy candied ginger, and quickly settles down to a sweet honey and lemon tea scent. Although the notes are complex, rich, and detailed, the scent overall has mild sillage and lasting power (unlike most Lutens fragrances). The drydown is delicious and rather masculine - dry, sweet wood and a hint of vetiver - but it fades rather quickly. I found myself reapplying throughout the day, craving the scent. It perfectly matches the cool, clear autumn weather here lately.
I especially enjoy Five O'Clock Au Gingembre because of the quality it conveys. The ingredients are each presented perfectly, completely capturing the essence of candied ginger, honey and lemon, an afternoon tea. The drydown is heavenly - I very rarely come across a drydown I can tolerate in the sea of conventional clean musks. But this one reeks (subtly, that is) of refinement and class. Overall, it's a simple concept, but immensely pleasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2011 12:28:00 PM More reviews by productjunkieee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like most of the other SL fragrances, this one opens up strong and then settles down to a more mellow finish. The ginger is very prominent at first which makes gives it a masculine appeal but there is a shadow of sweet fruitiness in the background that eases the sharpness of the ginger. The dry down brings out the vetiver and vanilla making the scent very smooth and more feminine. Even though the scent is rich, it is actually quite sheer and wears close to the skin. I personally like masculine scents and tend to wear some cologne from time to time, this was just too masculine even for me. Nonetheless it is an exquisitely made scent with lots of depth.