July 29, 2014 | 1111 users online

Makeup Brushes - Smashbox - Encounter Brush Kit

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2009 9:16:00 PM More reviews by laughitoff123

I love everything about this brush set! It looks totally cute. At first, I was a little intimidated by the white brushes, but I soon got over it. The brushes are of course very high quality and does everything you can ask from a brush. All the brushes included can be incorporated into your everyday look. If it had a brush for bronzer/blush, it'd be perfect!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2009 1:49:00 AM More reviews by babygirl3171980

I love, Love, LOVE this set! I bought mine off of ecrater for around thirty eight dollars. Which is a deal. The set on the site was sixty three, and everywhere else was around forty. The quality is amazing. The Foundation brush is awesome and provides a flawless look and even application each time. They bristles are all so soft and just so pretty its a lovely set to have. Ive been using mine and clean them religiously. Which I would highly recommend due to the pretty white bristles. Just wash them, Ive been using a clarifying shampoo, blot dry with a paper towel, snap them back into the case and leave them somewhere to dry. A windowsill maybe? This set is excellent for keeping at home. Now I just need one to carry with me. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2008 4:40:00 AM More reviews by elainous

Firstly, i got this off ebay for a really good price, so as such, im judging it by the price i paid and my expectations with these prices (which is $50AUD, thats less than 10 per brush plus the case!)

These brushes are awesome, they are all full size and had these really sleek lucite white handles that are really sturdy and a chrome-ish ferrell, the look sooooo swish! The case is hard cover and has little plastic clippy things, which i dont really use everyday since they actually scratch up the beautiful white handles and make them have ugly white scratches.. i would say it would work if they were slightly looser maybe? (case=1/5)
-I love the powder brush, its big and soft and everything you expect a powder brush to be. Washed it several times, absolutely NO shedding. (4.5/5, could be denser)
-Foundation brush, im a bit meh on, im a mineral user, so i cant say ive used this. Im very interested in the smashbox buffer brush but there's no reviews :-( (?/5)
-The concealer brush is awesome for undereye areas, but i use my ecotools for blemishes simply coz its bigger. (3/5)
-The e/s brush is full and soft and is great for shadow aplications and blending, for everyday, this is great if u arent bothered to switch brushes, like me.. (4/5)
-The eyeliner brush is amazing, its so tiny and easy to work with. its bristles are short so there's no smooshing of the bristles (if this makes sense, u know, like when they have long soft bristles?) the bristles iare soft and feel great on your skin. This is my new HG eyeliner brush (5/5)
-the next brush is also one of my faves, its a round tip brush, kinda like the mac pencil brush which i dont own. I love this for everyday application of eyeshadow to the lower lashline. U just dab it into some grey eyeshadow and apply it to your lower lashline, easy peasy smudged look. (I dont really wear eyeliner to my bottom lashes everyday, plus this is uber easy) (5/5)

I was so impressed by these, i ticked yes on buying again, but i dont think i'll have to seeing the quality of these. If you're aussie, check out some ebay stores, coz they stock these at a comparable price. great first kit. I know its really premature, but i already have my eyes set on the decadence brush roll, the one with furry roll, its on ebay too (yay!)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2008 1:11:00 AM More reviews by matisse808

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This six full-length brush set features snowy-white natural and/or synthetic brushes with clear acrylic handles. The unique thing about the set is that they come with a stiff white case (about 5X9 inches in size) that makes them truly travel-worthy. The case has tight slots w/ covers for each brush, plus a zippered space for smaller items opposite. It closes with a plastic zipper. The chunky "Smashbox" zipper pull is the only identifying marker on this smooth textured plastic, "molded-to-fit your hand case. It is great to finally have a travel set which is full size, and for this reason alone, I am glad I bought THE ENCOUNTER.

The case slots are too tight to use for storage, if you plan to use these everyday. I'm concerned the lucite handles will get all scratched and ugly if they go in the candle holders and cups I keep the rest of my brushes in, so for now they are standing in a glass sundae cup I found in the cupboard.

There is no question that these brushes are extremely soft and pretty, and I for one won't mind that they will hardly stay so perfectly white. Hey! Maybe they'll be a good test for brush cleaners!

The foundation (#13) and concealer (#25) brushes are nearly identical in size, shape, body ("spring"), and product delivery to drugstore versions I already own, and theywork just fine, but my Lise Watier foundation brush is actually much plusher, carries more product and applies it more smoothly than the SB #13. Both of these brushes have synthetic bristles which work really well on cream and liquid products. The #13 is the right size to apply smaller powder blushers, but you will then need the #1 Powder, which is also included, to blend it. The #25 has longer bristles than the average concealer brush, but is still not as flexible as the kind that contain natural hair bristles.

Now I come to the 4 "new brushes, exclusive to the set."
Eye shadow brush (#26) has a broad, square-shaped but plump head with just a bit of curve to the edge. I like it; it's nice and soft, but except for appearance, it compares very closely to the "all-over" eye shadow brushes I have from Annabelle and Lise Watier, which are drug store brands here in Canada.

The round "micro definer" brush (#27) was my biggest disappointment. I was SO looking forward to it, based on the assumption that the "micro" in its name meant that it would be finer-tipped than the "definer" brush I already have. In fact, the head of my Lise Watier "stricture-eye contour" brush is sculpted almost entirely, and comes to a much finer point, which works beautifully in both the inner and outer corners. The SB #27 can certainly handle corners, but certainly not in a "defined" way. It makes a good muted crease line, and for a "touch" of color in the inner corner, but in no way does it live up to its name as "micro-definer. It's a small round brush that makes small round marks.

The big winner in this set is the #28 "Micro-liner." What we've all been waiting for- a less-clumsy version of the famous Smashbox #9 cream eyeliner brush. Square, short, and only a few hairs thick, this synthetic brush does make a much finer line. You can either "step" cream eye liner on, in brush # 9 fashion, OR you can place it on the lashline and draw a line with it, which has always been my preferred method. I have not yet tried it with liquid liner, but It definitely works for using dry eye shadow as liner, and I'm betting it could also be quite useful on the brows.
Picky me still prefers the Lise Watier "Eye Liner," which is very similar to the SB #28, except it has all natural hairs and a beveled edge which draws a line much more precisely. has more bristles to carry product, and can also "stamp" missing brow hairs in at the perfect angle. However, I think as I become more comfortable with the SB#28, it might become my "other" favorite eye liner brush.

In spite of some disappointments, this set will still be my go-to for travel, as long as I don't forget to add my brow groomer/lash comb (which I can't live without). The Encounter set really does have all the bases covered, and is of much higher quality than other brush "sets" on the market, particularly travel brush sets. It was definitely worth the money, but I honestly love buying brushes one at a time, so I wouldn't repurchase.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No