Aloe Vera Plant

4.5

on 3/27/2015 3:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Aloe vera plant is the plant which is always been in my house. It grows easily even if you forget to water it for days. My grandma told me that aloe vera is good for hair and skin. She put alot on my hair as a hair mask, no wonder I have strong thick hair, I mean really thick. I did put on my face couple times many years ago, but at that moment I was at my best face condition.
So I've been struggling to get rid my red spot for more than 1.5 years. I tried several treatment, chemical peeling, laser, mesotherapy, some kind of treatment using different lights (I don't remember the name). But none of them works permanently, red spots just fade away for couple days after the treatment and reappear.
Some how I remember about this aloe vera plant and I did read some articles about aloe vera. Based on what I see in the internet, aloe vera helps removing the acne spot, not the acne itself. Even for some people, their acne is gone after using the aloe vera gel.
I cut the aloe vera plant and put the gel on my face for 10 minutes only, before the gel completely dry. [I always do a test before putting anything on my face, and I suggest anybody who has sensitive skin to do a test even aloe vera plant is a natural ingredient, but I've never had any problem with aloe vera, no test needed for me]
After the 3rd times using the aloe vera, I can see the difference, the redness is less visible. I use it at least 3times a week, even some people recommend to use it 2x everyday for better and faster result. But 3times a week, consistency and some patience is enough for me

on 3/24/2015 9:57:00 PM

I've had mixed results and wanted to share in case someone is wondering about side effects they have had. I used the gel from the plant all over my face to try to reduce a few red areas. I noticed great improvement after one night but after 3 or 4 nights I started getting odd blackheads and several small pimples everywhere. I'm sure it was the aloe because i stopped all other products and the acne that formed was in an unusual pattern. It seemed clear that the aloe was clogging pores. Darn. I guess it's better for use right after trauma but perhaps not every day - at least not on the face.

on 1/22/2015 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Nature's sunburn/minor burn relief. A natural humectant. A digestive aid. So many uses - but alas, i have a "brown thumb" and my plants tend to die. Nevertheless, I always try to keep a plant or two around.

on 12/22/2014 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

This is my jam right here.
I use aloe vera for everything.
It tightens my pores, heals my sensitive skin, heals the sunburns that I get from walking out of the house for 2 minutes, it gets rid of pimples in just a few days, I also put a little aloe water into a home-made detangler which helps SO MUCH! I love it

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Most people know aloe vera to help with sunburns, cuts, rashes, etc., but there is a laundry list of uses. It can also be as a shaving cream, as a face wash, for bad breath, & for dry/cracked feet! I personally like it for beauty, aesthetics, & skincare. I have tried & still do use it for practically everythingósunburns, as a makeup remover, on my legs & pits after shaving, as an eyebrow gel, & in my natural 3C wild curly hair. I donít know why, but aloe vera worked everywhere BUT my face. Iíve found other great uses for it though so continue to use it. I moisturize &/or style my hair more than anything else, but itís the only thing Iíll use to moisturize my legs, armpits, & bikini area after shaving. I sometimes even use it as a substitute for or alternative to lotion. Iíve even told my fiancť aloe vera can be used as an aftershave treatment.

Pros:
Makeup remover: Applied with a cotton ball to remove dirt all-over & makeup in eye area.
After shaving: Quickly soothes skin after shaving; antibacterial, helps w/ cuts, non-drying.
Eyebrow Gel: Applied with a mascara wand spoolie to keep them in place w/o hardening.
Hair: Defined/moisturized curls, shine, prevented dandruff, & used to style after washing.

Cons:
Moisturizer & Makeup base: Slimy, & didnít help/work; skin felt like nothing was applied.
Acne treatment: Again, nothing, but I did notice my skin didnít scar as badly as before.
Eczema treatment: Nothing. (Iím in my twenties & never ďoutgrewĒ childhood eczema.)
Stretch marks: Didnít improve faint/light stretch marks from 20+ lb summer weight loss.

*Just because it didnít work for the problems I wanted (oily skin, acne, eczema, & stretch marks) doesnít mean it will not help you if youíre trying to use it for those problems. For example, it moisturizes skin & is good for oily complexions, right? I have insanely oily skin! If your skin isnít as bad as mine & you can get some gel or a plant cheap (or free, depending on where you live), it might work for you!

on 10/23/2014 5:24:00 AM

I needed to have radiotherapy for breast cancer and directly after each treatment, before putting my clothes back on I would use a combination of plant aloe vera(the plant is cooling and soothing) and aloe gel from a pump pack on my breast. By the end of my treatment the radiographer said he could not believe how my breast was in great condition with minimal burning. He said he had only seen one other in better condition and that person had used only the commercial aloe gel.
Please tell this to anyone who is going to undergo treatment like this because it can really improve the quality of life in a very difficult time.
Just think if this is how successfully it repairs radiation burn, get it on your sunburn ASAP.

on 10/21/2014 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

No matter what I do, this just wreaks havoc on my skin and makes me break out like crazy. First time I used it was a few months back, and the day after my fine lines were more prominent. I decided to give it another go a couple of days ago and now I have whiteheads and cystic pimples all over my face. Gross. What's more is that ever since then, my face has had a weird puffy look. I won't use this ever again.

For centuries aloe vera has been known to heal minor burns and damaged or irritated skin. I'm not sure about the far fetched claims by companies that have hijacked aloe and tout it as a cure-all (Forever Living springs to mind). It isn't - it did nothing for an eye infection I had recently (it's safe to apply), but good old table saltwater saw that off. But I know it works for certain conditions. Keep a plant to hand and when you need it break off a small amount and rub on the affected area. But there are other plants and herbs with similar healing properties, including lavender (my favourite) and tea tree. And aloe is also great used in a homemade mask on very dry hair as it helps to close the hair cuticle.

on 10/19/2014 7:47:00 PM

I buy a giant aloe vera leaf from the local asian supermarket, for 1.99! amazing deal, and its so beautiful. Every night, i cut off a piece of the leaf and apply the gel to my face. I massage it in for a few minutes to make sure my skin absorbes it well. I feel like it really helps my skin stay clear and smooth. I have acne prone skin, so its comforting for me to know that this will moisturize without triggering acne. in fact, I believe it helps with acne too, and is so cheap. what could be better than using and all natural treatment without chemicals for that price??

The only con i can think of is that when the gel dries, your skin may feel tight and possibly even itchy. it makes you think its drying out your skin, but its not. once you rinse off you see that the gel turns gooey again and your skin feels hydrated.

on 10/6/2014 2:02:00 PM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

If you want to grow an aloe vera plant to make use of its juice and pulp for your beauty routine, think again. When it's time for the beauty time, the last thing you'd want to do is to run to the garden, cut off an aloe leaf, peel the skin, squeeze out the slimy gel, apply it on your face and move on to the next steps of your routine. The efficacy of the aloe gel deteriorate quickly, hence it's best used fresh. In addition, if the gel and your skin get along, your home-grown aloe plant may not grow quickly enough for your skincare need. If I know how to preserve my big batch of aloe vera gel, I would be a millionaire. The only thing I can o is to blend to pulp and gel in a blender and freeze them into ice cubes. The potency of the miracle gel may deteriorate somehow, but I want a bit of convenience. That being said, I'd rather use freshly-extracted aloe gel than the store-bought version, not because I'm against preservetives and fillers, but because the former beats the latter by a long long shot. After my skin drinks the gel, everything else glides on more smoothly. My oily, acne-prone, easily inflame skin and aloe vera gel are BFF. Aloe vera gel is very soothing, so you're unlikely to hate it, but it doesn't hurt o patch test first. If your skin is on the dry side, however, you may need to layer more powerhouse moisturizer keep your skin hydrated. Last but not least, don't expect it to be a solution to all of your skin concerns, although I've called it a heaven send. Skincare is all about finding the right combos of things your skin loves and in my case, aloe vera gel makes the whole odyssey easier and step up the efficacy of other products I use.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products