Neutrogena Sun Fresh

3.6

Lotion- Water, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract (Witch Hazel), C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glycerin, Dihydroxyacetone, Dimethicone, Caprylyl Methicone, Silica, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Trisiloxane, Hydrogenate Palm Glycerides, Cetyl Alcohol, BHT, Methylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan Gum, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance------- Foam-Water, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract (Witch Hazel), Dihydroxyacetone, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Decyl Glucoside, Polyquaternium 4, Methylpropanediol, PEG 120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance 6/18//09

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine

I think this may have been reformulated over time? The tube I bought reads "NEW Neutrogena sun fresh sunless lotion Medium/Deep Skin Tones" and says it has a Grapefruit/Nectarine scent.

I used this all last summer to avoid having to cover my legs or wear hose all the time. It still has a pretty objectionable odor -- I can't detect any fruit scent whatsoever?!?! The lotion is light brown in color when it's applied. It does dry quickly. I have not had any problems with rub-off or transfer. I do always wash my hands after applying it.

I am NOT dark skinned, but I had been a little frustrated with the lack of speed of Jergens and other gradual tanners, so I figured this wouldn't be THAT much of a risk. I don't find it develops too dark even on my pale skin so, I am not sure whether it would be much use if you ARE medium or dark skinned, tbh.

In spite of the odor, I like this fairly well. It's not a rave, but it also isn't awful. I think Neutrogena ought to stop advertising a "luscious scent," because I just don't think that's accurate. But for quick self-tanning without a lot of mess or fuss, I think this works.

on 7/13/2013 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using ST for years, and decided a few months ago to 'turn it up a notch' and get a product that would make me darker than those use-them-every-day-slow products. I got the "Medium/Deep Skin Tones" and it is the worst ST product I've ever used. I know what I'm doing (exfoliate, use after showering, let it dry before I dress, etc.). But it was only a mild tan, and it did something else I've never experienced with ST: it came off on my sheets, my clothing.... left brown smears over the next few days. I waited a week or so and tried it again, same bad results. I found another ST product I love and will stay with forever (see my review for Million Dollar Tan Extreme) .... I am a Neutrogena customer, but this product is going in the garbage!

Leaves you completely orange not even funny. Since its white you have no idea what areas you have covered, blend fast so you don't get splotches. The only pro is that it didn't break me out on my face. But I am not repurchasing, luckily I found this for five dollars so no real money lost.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

My review is for the foam only (since I can't seem to find it here on MUA)

Ever since I came back from my holiday in Gold Coast, i have been blessed with a sunkissed golden tan. Now I assure you I wore sunscreen everyday of my holiday but GC was so hot and sunny it was impossible not to get a tan. Normally I wouldn't even be bothered with fake-tanning since I'm lazy, the procedure is messy and the colour never looked right on me. But since this light holiday tan made me look so lean, nice and healthy I decided to keep it (possibly for the whole year) with the help of some sunless bronzers.

I picked this foam up at my local Postie Plus for about $6. It normally retails for $8 there but they were having a 20% off sale so the price was great. I got it in the medium-dark shade since bronzers for light skin never does anything for me. The application is super easy since you just pump out the foam and apply it all over your body. 4 pumps cover my whole leg so I didn't have to use too much. The drying time isn't too long but I did get sticky during the process. The good thing is though you can feel when your tan is dried (when you are no longer sticky). I didn't smell a hint of grapefruit, instead the smell of self tanner is quite prominent. To combat that I slather on a coconut-scented moisturiser long after the tan has dried to give my skin a boost and to mask the smell.

The result is lovely. I got a nice golden sunkissed tan out of it that's not orange or burnt looking (if you know what I mean, think Jersey Shore). It compliments my skintone (NC30) well and I feel pretty darn sexy LOL! I think I might go and stock up while the sale is on and I'm definitely going to be spotting a tan all year round!

on 4/16/2011 3:09:00 AM

I actually love this stuff, I was lucky enough to score a 4 oz bottle for $2 in a CVS clearance bin when I desperately needed to tan up my legs and arms for prom. And I love being DARK lol I really don't care for subtle or very natural tanners, if i'm going to spend money on one it had better turn me brown.

just an fyi i am asian with yellow undertones; in the summer I get more olive but right now i'm quite pale...a very light olive in the winter.

PROS:

Fast results - I noticed a nice glow in two days, within a week my legs were brown and I actually got lots of compliments noting how tan I looked....if only they knew my little secret muahahaha.

Not orange, natural tan.

Could dial up or slow down.Since prom was in a week I basically slathered it on like a madwoman at least twice a day - I applied a good sized dollop once right after I showered and once right before I went to bed. If you want a more natural look I suggest maybe using it every other day.

CONS:

Smell - I really did not smell the claimed "nectarine scent"; to me it just reeked of DHA. But I mean it's inevitable. To combat the smell I used Moist brand's Hemp Bronzing Moisturizer (this is a VERY VERY subtle self tanner, more like a tan enhancer/prolonger people use after tanning beds) as a second coat after I let the first layer of Sun Fresh dry; if you've ever used the hemp stuff you know it smells like heaven and coconuts.....in general you can mask it pretty well with another lotion and these two together worked like a charm.

Staining - I am horribly lax about washing my hands after using self tanners and this one is a must! Also I noticed some orange splotches on my pajamas so make sure to thoroughly dry off or wear old clothes to bed.

Price/Quantity: I'm almost done with the 4 oz after prepping for two proms (so basically 2 crammed weeks of tanning). Definitely wish it was bigger.

Staying power - my tan gradually evaporated over the course of 3-4 days of no application : (

Overall, this product redeemed my hope in self tanners, is a good buy if you're in a time crunch, and gets you summertime bronze! I love it.

on 5/31/2010 11:13:00 PM

I was surprised at how terrible this self-tanner is. Going on, it's smooth and non-offensive -- that is, the smell isn't too bad. But give it a moment. The smell is super-potent ... as one reviewer said, like Neutrogena is trying to mask the scent with nectarine or whatever. It is simply the strongest self-tanner smell I have ever experienced, and it followed me around the next day even after I'd washed my legs off in the shower.

The color was fine, not orange-y, and it showed up after one application. But it was mad uneven. I am no self-tanning expert, so the streakiness could have been my fault. It doesn't doesn't absorb well, and left a somewhat greasy residue.

I returned this immediately, but the bad memory still lingers. At least the smell is gone.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Small bottle for around $10 where im from.. It does give a golden tan instead of a bronze, dark tan. I hated the smell, its not worth the buy to me. Also, on the back it says that some people can have a rare reaction to sunless tanners such as shortness of breath. I have never experienced that until I used this lotion.. maybe it was the unbearable smell. But so not worth it!

on 4/13/2010 5:46:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I actually love this product. It is a gradual self tanner so it will take a few applications to see a noticeable difference. I use it on my face and have never broken out over it (I broke out pretty badly with Jergen's self tanner). The smell is amazing, like a grapefruit scent, and I use it for my whole body. This is honestly the best product I have found, I have never gotten any streaks or dark spots from it either.

on 3/18/2010 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I am super fair and cool toned - I use sephora's lightest pink-toned foundation shade and even those daily moisturizer/sunless tanner products show up a lot on me. And this product did almost nothing.

To be fair, I've only used one application, so far, but i see almost no difference. I'm sure someone looking at me wouldn't be able tell any difference at all. I'm really hoping multiple applications will build my tan a lot.

If they added more DHA to this I would love it, since I didn't get that strong self tanner smell after I put it on (I guess now I know why... ) and it dried on my skin really quickly. I can't comment on streakiness because theres no color, but I would guess that even if you got dark with this, it would take so many applications it wouldbe impossible to get streaks.

I guess this ok for an early March tan, but I will get something else next time!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is a definite 'no' for me. I got virtually zero color. This product also reeks of that wreched self tanner scent. I agree with the reviewer below me when she says "it smells like all the other tanners but poorly hidden by a faint fruit smell." Neutrogena attempted to cover up the self tanner scent, but to me, it only adds to and brings out the overall gross scent of the product. Waste of money. End of story.

Will update if a sudden miracle occurs with this prodcut.