November 26, 2014 | 1818 users online

Cleansers - La Roche Posay - Physiological Cleansing Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Ratach

I switched to this product after years of loyalty to Effaclar Gel - but only because my skin changed from being outright oily to dry combination (read: dry cheeks with a somewhat oily t-zone) as a result of climate change. It does what is promises; gently cleanses your face without that uncomfortable tight feeling. The product has a very pleasant scent that reminds me of fresh bananas. For some reason the kind of fragrance used by French skincare brands never irritate my fairly sensitive skin.

Having said that, I have always been a fan of double cleansing - in other words, I take off my rigorous makeup with a micellar solution before proceeding to cleanse the remains and other nasty stuff accumulating on my face throughout the day. Therefore I cannot guarantee this cleanser will take off your makeup on its own, but if you use a separate cleanser for that or don't wear makeup at all, then La Roche-Posay Physiological Cleansing Gel may be perfect for you.

TL;DR: My new HG cleanser for my newly acquired combination skin with dry cheeks and oily t-zone. Cleanses well enough without stripping your face of its natural oils. May not be enough to remove makeup completely on its own.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2014 5:51:00 PM More reviews by abbymitch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My skin is super oily which is caused by it being dehydrated. It is also quite sensitive and new products (particularly those with a long list of ingredients) often give me those painful under the skin spots. I have been using this cleansing gel for around two months and have had no breakouts from it - it is alcohol free, fragrance free, soap free and paraben free. I had been using Clean & Clear deep cleansing cream for a couple of years and only recently found out that the alcohol in it was actually making my skin oilier as it would strip my skin and then my skin would go crazy and over compensate by producing bucket loads of oil! I use this after a make up wipe and Lancome Galateis Douceur cleanser and it cleans my skin brilliantly, removing all traces of my double wear light foundation.

I've knocked one mark off this because it can leave my skin feeling a little tight, although this is quickly remedied by my toner (Lancome Tonique Douceur) and my moisturiser (La Roche Posay Hydraphase Intense Legere).

At around 12 it's actually a good price considering the quality of it and the fact it's the best face wash style cleanser I've tried (from low end to high end). I will definitely repurchase this when I run out.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/23/2014 10:10:00 AM More reviews by Aimeecook14

Keeping it simple: This product was just OK. It cleaned my face but left it red and a little bit sore, I didn't break out as much whilst using this morning and night but my skin texture didn't improve and I started to notice small spots under my skin. I don't know whether this product was too harsh on my skin or whether its just not very good. I am now trying clinique take the day off cleansing balm. I hope this will be better and will make my skin clearer :)

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2014 8:44:00 AM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I found this cleanser really stripping and drying. After using it for a few days my hands and face were completely stripped. Had to throw it in the bin. I wasn't expecting this to happen considering the cleanser doesn't foam. Packaging is functional and actually works so a lippie for that...

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2014 9:21:00 AM More reviews by niftypineapple914

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Update '14: I moved on from this to MD Formulations AHA cleanser which after a 15 year search is my HG cleanser. Recently after a laser hair removal treatment I moved back to this for one evening, and had forgotten how tough it is to completely rinse off and tacky feeling this is. I woke up with two new pimples. Still definitely a great and gentle product, but if pore-clearing is your primary concern and you need a lot of exfoliation to prevent breakouts, this won't cut it. I probably wouldn't rebuy it since I've found MDF and boots botanics has a similar gentle cleanser which foams but magically is not irritating to my skin- and also makes me feel like i'm free of any leftover product film.
This is what I wanted Cetaphil to be. It's actually got the gentle, non-irritating, non-foaming quality of Cetaphil but the cleaning power of something along the lines of Bioderma sebium, but there's no feeling of stripping the skin at all. Having said that, this is a great facial cleanser for reactive skin, its not a makeup remover.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/8/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by bornitaq

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've used this product a few times now. It leaves my skin the way it was before: oily and dehydrated. My skin feels tight but it's still shiny. It doesn't remove all my makeup. I used a cotton pad after this with a makeup remover and it showed dirt and some black makeup on it. I don't like the smell. It smells sort of like banana. On the plus side it doesn't cause my skin to break out.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by cheyneromero

This is my go-to daily cleansing gel that I use morning and night. I love the matte gel texture, it's unscented and extremely gentle yet effective. I use two other cleansers in combination with this in the morning, but when I travel or only have time for one, this is my first pick. It just leaves my skin feeling very balanced and fresh, and it doesn't dry out my skin or make it feel stripped. I used to use CeraVe as my base cleanser, but I like the slim bottle and overall packaging of La Roche-Posay more (though the cleansing effects of both felt pretty much the same, I will admit). CeraVe's bottle is very bulky and was always spilling in my travel bags. Plus, this cleanser is French and makes me feel ever so slightly fancy each time I use it. I'm a sucker for fancy face washes, especially extremely functional ones such as this. Try it if you haven't already!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2013 11:01:00 AM More reviews by tvall

I am really enjoying using this cleanser, I use it in a morning to quickly wash my face and then in the evening after I've removed my make up using cliniques take off the day balm. I'm not sure how it would do at removing make up well on its own as it is really gentle but I don't mind as I always pre cleanse to remove my make up (and I always will!)

This cleanser is really gentle, it doesn't foam or have a strong scent and most importantly doesn't strip my sensitive skin or leave it feeling tight.

I do wish it would foam just slightly as I don't know about you but then it would feel maybe a bit more like it's cleaning - but saying that when a product foams in my experience it normally leaves that horrible tightness. So I'm ok with it!

EDIT: The cleanser is still great but not very good for problem prone skin. This cleanser isn't a deep enough clean for me anymore, even after Ive removed most of my make up. Although it is gentle, it is probably best for those with sensitive skin and not many skin issues in terms of acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 10:54:00 AM More reviews by ssim2

I really like this cleanser and I think it's thus far the best cleanser I've used. It was introduced by my dermatologist a year ago when I was beginning to breakout especially at my jawline. When using this product, my dermatologist had advised that I would just need 3 to 4 splashes on my face so that there was a thin layer of protection that can keep my skin moisturized. I wasn't used to it at first as all my life, I prefer to splash it until I feel my face not oily and " squeaky" clean. Then I feel the difference - more softer, no tightness and skin flakiness... Gradually I feel very comfortable and clean just a few splashes. It also helps to calm my sensitive skin... Would also stock up as much as possible whenever there is promotion cos it is pretty pricey.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2013 11:42:00 PM More reviews by annicelestial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

This is the best makeup remover for me.

My skin is always been a little acne prone before I start to put makeup on, and it got worst all thanks to Fancl's makeup removing oil. And then I've tried Bioderma, Bifesta and Curel, Bifesta is a little stripping, Bioderma only cleans well with large amt and really good cotton pads, Curel is cool but I'm using up 1 tube every month. All of them leaves me with small bumps still and regular breakouts, BUT, much better than Fancl.

Until few weeks ago the Curel remover in my local drugstore is running out of stock and LRP is on offer, and I got this cleanser with the effaclar duo. Unlike Curel's oily texture (it's gel actually but somehow it feels like oil on the face), this is really refreshing and cooling. I use 2 pumps each time and followed with my daily cleanser, flora water and effaclar duo, and I'm finally getting to acne free skin.

A good cleanser is everything really, I have Darphin's Purifying balm and Dr Brant's Pore Effect, they are great and effective products but they alone can't stop my skin from breaking out if I don't clean my face properly.

The price is really cool too, at least for someone like me who spent big money on many useless acne treatment products.