September 24, 2014 | 1445 users online

Hair Color - Tints of Nature - Conditioning Permanent Hair Color

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2014 8:35:00 AM More reviews by tniadna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is the product that I have been waiting years for. The background: I have naturally very dark brown hair that started greying when I was 25. I have about 15% grey at this point (I am 38), but since my hair is dark, it is immediately noticeable, so I end up coloring my hair every 4 weeks or so.

After reading up on the toxins in natural dye about a year ago, I tried a bunch of alternatives. I used Lush Henna (Caca Brun) for about four months, and while it seems to work well at first, as my hair grew out it failed to cover the grey and it started looking very tatty and uneven.

I was skeptical when I found Tints of Nature - had to be ordered online - a pain! and since I had already tried other products, I figured it probably would not work. Happy to say that I was wrong.

In terms of application, this has the extra step of washing your hair first, which makes it a slightly longer, more involved process. I have shoulder length, fairly fine hair, and I found that the one bottle was enough to cover my whole heads from roots to end.

It smells a bit funny, but far more pleasant than traditional dyes - at least you don't feel like you're getting poisoned, so I will gladly take it. Best thing is the results. It covered my grey probably even better than the traditional products, and my hair is just so much healthier. It's a whole other deal. More than a week later, my hair is still obviously shinier and in better shape than before. I am hoping that with continued use, it will transform my hair after so many years of harsh dyes.

It costs a bit more, and takes a bit longer, but so absolutely worth it. I will never use anything else again.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2014 4:12:00 PM More reviews by Danielini

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

DO NOT USE ON BLEACHED HAIR, UNLESS YOU WANT OMBRE!! TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!
After much research for a healthy alternative to that scary drugstore DIY hair dye, I found Tints of Nature. My goal was to cover up my severely grown out blonde highlights, and restore to my natural colour (or as close as possible), which is a dark brown colour. The most recent blonde hadn't been added for 10 months, so it was definitely safe to use. As well, Tints of Nature advised their product was safe to use on bleached hair. So I decided on the 3N permanent colour, trekked alllll the way to Whole Foods, paid 20 bucks, and did it myself.

The process:
I followed the enclosed instructions word for word. The shampoo and conditioner they give you is amazing. CONS: should have enlisted a second person to help me reach the back; also, it was damn near impossible to tell which parts the dye was on!! After about 40 minutes of massaging into my hair both with my gloved hands and a brush, I stopped because I felt there was enough. I left some in the bottle because I figured theres gotta be people with longer hair than me who need the whole thing, and I felt like I had been at it forever. I only left a very little bit in the bottle, and my hair is shoulder-length.

Results:
Initially, I was soooo happy - my hair was all one beautiful colour. It was so soft, and for the first week, I received so many compliments, even from strangers. Then, I noticed in a video for a school project that my ends (about 2 or 3 inches) was lighter than the rest. I thought no worries, I'll get a trim soon, it's probably the split ends making it look lighter. But soon I noticed the colour fading, especially on the parts that were blonde underneath .... and I hadn't even washed it once! Then I washed it once, and more blonde started to show! Now I am at 2 weeks after colouring, 2 washes (not including the one to wash the dye out) and my hair is sooo faded!! I'm confident I'll end up just as blonde as I was before within a week or 2. I am so disappointed because I was initially so impressed with this product, but now I feel like I wasted a lot of time and money. It's now at this strange ombre look that just looks so bad. And its not just fading from the blonde, its also fading from the half of my head that was my natural hair. I should have known this product was too good to be true when I had called the helpline and left a message when performing the skin test (the patch was turning very dark, but I realized this was normal..it was dye after all), and I got no response from any representative, despite leaving all of my information.

Conclusion: I suspect it would be good if you want more of a subtle change, but it DEFINITELY has faded for me all over, but especially on the old bleached pieces, which is what I wanted to cover in the first place. I can only imagine how much the semi-permanent one fades....
Leaves your hair in amazing condition texture wise, but now I am so frustrated and disappointed with the colour. Very unfortunate because this product is apparently so healthy and non-toxic, but maybe those harsh chemicals are what makes the colour last...Oh, and their return policy is only within 7 days -.-

Sadly I will NOT be re-purchasing. Incredibly disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2013 3:55:00 AM More reviews by musicjunkieha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have tried every drugstore hair color product, and even the other natural products, and this rates the best of all of them. No chemical smell, I don't need to ventilate bathroom like I would with drugstore color. My hair is wavy, coarse, medium brown with red and tendenices to turn brassy. Red/brassy doesn't suit my skin tone, however, neither does full on "ash" colors. All ash colors look too severe and unnatural on me. Since I needed two bottles anyway to cover my long hair, I mixed the dark ash blonde 6C and natural light brown 5N. The color was perfect - canceled out the brass but still a hint of red. Hair is shiny and not further damaged or dried out. I'm used to color developing darker than shade shown on box but the color swatches on these boxes are pretty accurate--the dark ash blond swatch on box is light brown. I
Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2013 6:02:00 AM More reviews by jedesp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried tints of nature permanent hair dye for the first time last night and I love it! My natural hair color is medium-dark brown, but right now I have ombre goin on, so only a few inches of my roots are dark brown, gradually blending in to lighter brown and then blonde. I have maybe just 5% grays, but since my roots are dark they are totally noticable. I hate them. So I dye my roots maybe once a month or every 6 weeks to cover the grays. I had been using the regular box dye from the grocery store but now want to switch to a more natural hair dye, without going all the way to the henna side. Tints of nature is just as simple to use as the regular box dye. But the big difference is no horrible chemical smell or itching!! The smell is actually kind of minty/herby.

I should say that my grays are super resistant! Even the regular box dye wouldnt cover them 100%. So I was kind of expecting tints of nature not to work, but it did! It actually covered my grays BETTER than the regular box dye! There is just a few that didn't totally get covered, but they just look kind of blonde and not gray or white! I mixed 2 different colors btw, Natural Dark Blonde 6N and Natural Light Brown 5N. I read that these dyes can end up darker than expected so I went for lighter colors. Did a strand tests and the 5N came out super dark, almost black!!! The 6N came out exactly as my natural brown color and covered grays nicely too. When mixed, the colors came out a bit darker than my natural color but not super dark like 5N by itself. I don't mind it being darker cause I am sure it will fade, but in the future I may just use the 6N. I also didn't want to waste the 5N so mixing it was a good way to use it up. I only used half of each, so I have enough to dye my roots one more time. If you are trying to cover grays I read that the N line of the colors is the best. But if you like some other color from tins of nature you should use one of the N's to mix it with (I read that 6N is the best).

The box provides a clarifying shampoo that you are suppose to use before dying your hair. The shampoo is actually the weirdest smelling thing. It kind of smells like rubber gloves! lol. So weird. But whatever. And then after you wash your hair you just need to towel dry and apply the dye to damn hair. I thought that would be kind of weird, but it was fine. I left mine on for 40 minutes, then washed and conditioned using the provided shampoo and conditioner. Those smell kind of fruity, almost like gum or candy. Not too fond of the smell but its fine. The shampoo got pretty foamy so the little package was totally enough to wash my hair (which is few inches bellow my shoulders). But the conditioner was totally not enough. My hair is dry especially on the ends, so I need a lot of good conditioner. I used what they provided and then added a bunch of my Sukin moisturing conditioner and it worked great. Easy to brush after and the color, although a tad darker than my natural color, came out good and covered my grays well. Overall I would recommend this hair dye. I know it's not 100% natural, but its WAY better than those usual dyes full of harmful chemicals. The price is a bit steep, but totally worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps someone who is considering trying Tints of Nature hair dye. If it didn't cover your grays, you should experiment with the N line colors! xoxo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2013 1:35:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I bought Tints of Nature hair dye around a month ago since I wanted a natural hair dye that would cause zero to very minimal damage. I had heard of Tints of Nature a few years ago but there were no reviews on it and I was very hesitant to buy is since hair colour is not something that can be easily corrected necessarily but after seeing all the review on MUA I decided to try it. I had been previously dyeing my hair with Nice N Easy hair colour in the shade 119B Medium Spice and was looking for a very similar colour in this line. I went to Whole Foods where they sell this line and looked at all the colours ad decided that the closest shade according the the swatches would be shade '5R Rich Copper Brown'. Two things that I noticed: The colour was outrageously expensive ($19 a box and I need 2 for my whole head!) and the swatches on the back of the box are absolutely horrible. They give you next to no indication of what the colour is going to look like. Anyways, I brought the colour home and went on the Tints of Nature website to see read any kind of warnings or anything like that and it said that you had to wait at least a month to dye your hair with Tints of Nature if your previous colour had been metallic- Nice N Easy is a metallic colour so make sure that if you're usually a colour like that you wait the full month.
The day that I coloured my hair, it was definitely a very different experience. I opened the little box and in it was a sachet of clarifying shampoo, sachets of regular shampoo and conditioner, gloves, a plastic cap and of course the colour and the developer. I was surprised at how small the bottles of each were but I will reflect on that later. I In the instructions is said to wash your hair first with the clarifying shampoo and then to dye your hair while it was still damp so I followed those directions. The shampoo smelled absolutely horrible- like a really strong mix of garlic, ginger and lemon, just super unpleasant and left my hair feeling really straw-like so I had to condition it even though it never said to. I usually dye my hair by sectioning it off and applying it using the brush and bowl method and with damp hair this was impossible with I did not like. I mixed up the colour in the bowl, put on the gloves and just took some on my hands and massaged it into my scalp and rubbed it in my hair. I really did not like applying this to wet hair- it was incredibly hard to work with. The plus side about it was that because your hair is wet and the dye can travel through it better, I used about half the dye I use with a regular colour so I think next time I will just pick up one box and keep in mind, I have long hair to the middle of my back that is incredibly thick so I was really happy about that. I forget how long it said to keep the dye in for but I made a little bun on my head and wrapped the cap around it and set my timer for 40 minutes. I then rinsed out my hair and man oh man did that take a long time. I found the amount of shampoo they provided was fine but there was hardly any conditioner so I had to use some of my own (Dove Colour Care). My hair was feeling really dodgy after the shampoo but after conditioning it felt really silky. I was really pleased after rinsing it out to see how similar it looked to the Nice N Easy colour I was using. I was also really surprised at how silky and healthy my hair ended up feeling in the end since during the process it most certainly did not feel nice. I will update in another month or so as to how well this lasted but as of right now, I definitely recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2013 11:29:00 PM More reviews by Perlino

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used the 4N dye in a reverse ombre fashion to get rid of my orange tinted - sun bleached - old dye while not dying my regrowth. It completely matches my natural hair, while covering most of the orange tints. The tips are slightly darker (because I used the ombre method) which is good because they were the reddest.

The box said to dye wet, after using the supplied cleansing shampoo, which I did. This made it harder for me to see where I had applied the dye, but I managed. I believe this is to raise the pH to 7 so its faster for the dye to reach pH 9?

The dye is the least offensive smelling dye i have used, it did smell chemically, but I didn't get a headache or feel I needed to leave the room. After washing it out it smelt slightly of dye still, but that went away by the time it dried.

I felt there was plenty of product supplied, I didn't cover my whole head, but I have thick bottom of ribs length hair and there was a reasonable amount left over. There was also more than enough shampoo supplied to wash it 2-3 times.

Overall I am very happy with the dye, I will wait and see if it fades quickly or not. At $29NZD a bottle I wont be buying one again too soon, so I hope it lasts and doesn't orange up again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2013 11:01:00 AM More reviews by cocob

I prefer to buy organic skincare and make up, given that the product is as user-friendly and performs as well as the other ones. So after switching from a frustrating, long and expesive hairdresser dying experience for my graying roots to at home dye kits (Schwarzkopf Ammonium-free mousse) and being pleasantly surprised by the ease of use and results I tried the kit from Tints of Nature.
When I opened the instructions I was quite shocked to find out that the manual asked me to use a brush -for mixing and application- and a cup for mixing, though none of them were provided in the kit. All the other at home dyes I have used provide everything you need in the kit. And since I didn't have an applicator brush I had to use my gloved fingers to apply the dye.
And the dye provided was not even enough to cover my roots. The amount was less than half of the amount provided with mainstream at-home dyes.
Moreover I needed to blow dry my hair for 30 minutes, which I find to be quiet a hassle when with other dyes you can spend the half hour on the computer or doing other chores.
As for the shampoo when none came out after squeezing the packet I thought I hadn't managed to tear it well when actually there was so little shampoo in the packet that I had to scoop it out with my finger, again only to cover my roots.
In the end my roots are somewhat covered, but not worth the hassle at all for me and I will definitely not purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by HiCat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Wanted to start by thanking silverlilly for her review. It pretty much was the reason I decided to try Tints of Nature and also gave useful tips.

I put natural dark blonde over a few streaks of bleached hair (Manic Panic Flash Lightning and Virgin Snow) as the colour was just too bright and I have naturally light brown hair. I only left on for roughly 20 minutes to avoid damage since I had bleached it a week before.

I was very nervous about it turning green or purple as I had read I would need a filler. I threw caution to the wind and did it without one. I am only one day after so I can't talk about fading but it definitely toned done the streaks to more of a golden dark blonde - much better! I also have enough left over unmixed to use again for touch ups. The 1:1 ratio makes it really easy to mix. At first I thought it would be super runny but it mixes into more of a gel.

I really wanted a vegan product that didn't test on animals. So glad this exists.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2012 5:48:00 PM More reviews by Aniax021

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a review on the lightener kit.

Ok..where do I start..my natural hair color is about a lvl 5.
As I was mixing the color it was a very buttery yellow as well as a buttery texture. As I was applying it, even before I was finished the mixture seemed to go bad already..from a buttery yellow it went to a white color and it was very foamy..and slightly bubbly..you know when you take a bath ..it was like that exactly color and texture wise.
But I went ahead and finished anyway, when I did, after I washed and dried my hair the color was nice I'll give it that, it was very nice! a level 10 blonde(naturally I'm about a level 6).
However, I had dark patches all over my head...and YES I did apply it evenly, I never have problems with unevenness..until I tried this hair dye.
So..I decided to purchase another box to cover the dark patches..
Only it didn't cover so well..I was STILL left with unevenness..it covered the back patches but I still had a few in the front..so I didn't buy a third box because not only was it crazy expensive ($20 a box) but I didn't think it would cover my spots since it didn't the first 2 times, so I just bleached the remaining few spots I had..because I had nothing else to use.

Overall, I am very disappointed in this hair dye..the color was beautiful, the mixture was horrible..it's not that it went bad that I had uneven spots, because even before it went bad I had already applied it to my hair, and was still left with dark patches..so..it's too bad it didn't work for me.

I will not purchase this again, it's very pricey..I wasted $40 on 2 boxes and it still did not cover everything.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Portiaisis

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My hair was completely dye free with about 50 percent grey. I used tints of nature brown hair color and left it on for the additional 10 minutes to cover grey. Some of my grey was not covered and most of it turned PURPLE. I have no idea how to correct this. If you have grey hair beware.