October 2, 2014 | 1357 users online

Toners - Kiehl's - Ultra Facial Toner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 11:50:00 AM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I am 32 years old. Over the years I have tried many skincare products. I am not loyal to any brand and will try a new product as soon as I run out. The one thing that I will always repurchase is this toner. My dry flakey skin adores it.

After cleansing with my clarisonic, I use this on face and neck on a cotton pad to remove any remaining gunk. There usually are some as I can see it on the cotton pad. This toner preps my skin for the next step which are serums. Those cost$$ so I want to make sure my skin is absorbing it the best it can.

I hope they never stop making this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by Sensitivity1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So far so good.
Nothing bad to say about this one. Works well with the cleanser in the same family and just bought the whole family range to try. Using midnight recovery at night after ultra cleanser and this toner as well as the spf50 moisturiser for daytime. Really like them all for the moment. Will repost if I have any adverse changes to that. Definitely worth their price at the moment certainly anyway. My skin feels soft and clear but not sure which one its down to specifically or if its the combination of the range. Definitely recommend though at the moment!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/23/2014 5:56:00 AM More reviews by jakobsitter

I get the feeling that it settles on the skin and it stays there all day. It also makes my skin more irritated than it already is.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2014 5:24:00 AM More reviews by Pocketchic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

There's always a debate what toners actually do (except toning and nobody has scientific evidence what that means) and whether a toner should be part of your skincare routine. I say try one out and decide for yourself. There are NO miracle products and no prescribed routines that work for everyone.

Having said that, if you do decide to try one, I can recommend this toner from Kiehls. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way. It's gentle, which I'm willing to defend as one of the most important rules in skincare even though I just wrote that there are no universal skincare rules. Go figure :). It takes off remaining residues after cleansing, because I can see that on my cotton pad. And it feels hydrating to ME (and it might not to you, to all its own). Since I started using this toner, I skipped using a serum (gasps all around!). Why? Because I've yet to find a serum that really works for me and is not yet another expensive bottle of liquid vitamins that only penetrate the outer dermis anyway.

Lastly, just responding to some previous reviews: I do not use this on or around my eyes ( people, the skin around your eyes is THIN, so be careful), I do not use this as the single step in my cleansing routine (isn't cut out for that) and I do not combine it with the whole Ultra line from Kiehls.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great hydrating toner. It contains Apricot Kernel oil, Avocado oil and Vitamin E, and it's non-alcoholic. Great for dehydrated, dry or sensitive skin. The product gently removes surface debris and remaining residue while hydrating and comforting. Very nice product, however - way too pricy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 7:50:00 AM More reviews by lovelymallie

* THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE OIL-FREE FORMULA *

So first off a little background of my skin:
Really sensitive (especially to products and certain ingredients), combinated-dehydrated (normal-oily t-zone, and really dry cheeks), prone to breakouts especially on the forhead.

A few years ago I ALWAYS used a toner, but then I stopped because I though it was unnecasary, or something like that. Now, lately I've been hearing about how important it really is, so I though I would give this one a go. I mean, it looked pretty nice and the claims as well.

It just haven't done ANYTHING for my skin. I still belive in using a toner, but maybe I'll find another one that's more clarifying. I hoped this would be great for my breakouts, or at least hydrate my skin, but as I said, I haven't noticed anything.

Also, this is pretty expensive, so maybe I'll try one from the drugstore next time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2013 12:28:00 PM More reviews by noseofblue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't think "toner" is a meaningful product in skin care. "Toning" is just not needed. What IS needed (at least for me) is an effective, non-irritating way of wiping off excess eye makeup that winds up under my eyes after removing/cleansing, and a way of just getting my face ready for makeup in the morning without having to go through a whole cleanse again, which I don't need unless I've done an early workout. I have very allergy sensitive eyes, and there are few products that fill the bill. This is one of them. I can swipe a soaked pad over my entire face, including eyes, with no allergy problem, and it removes all stray eye makeup and overnight moisturizer. I get the same result as with Caudalie, but Kiehls is less expensive. My only issue is with the packaging--it would be nice if the bottle was squeezable.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2013 9:31:00 AM More reviews by bklynbelle

I have been using this product in conjunction with their Ultra Facial Cleanser and absolutely love it. It leaves my skin looking fresh, clean and dewy, plus I used to always get dry flakes around my nose and this took care of that. Sure It's a bit pricey, but I've been using it for well over a month now and barely made a dent. The cleanser and this toner are very concetrated so you don't have to use much at all.
On a personal note. In a city (Manhattan) that more and more is being Big-Boxed, Chained and Generic, lacking in real personalty, Kiehls is one of a dying breed. It is one of the very few
places in NY that actually gives a neighborhood some individualty and I think it's important to keep these places alive.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2013 3:11:00 AM More reviews by tsh82

so this definitely made my face softer. got rid off my dry patch. it is more moiturizing than the calendula. but im too in love with the calendula to switch :P
but i think FOR ME, it does almost the same thing as the calendula, with the moisturizing part, although it doesnt stop the oilyness like calendula does.
i think this is THE BEST toner for dry skin ppl, it hydrates greatly.
i took 1 lippy off bcoz for a basic hydrating toner, this is expensive. but just that.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2013 11:37:00 AM More reviews by vsmini

What does toner do? Do we really need this stuff? I asked the SA at Kiehls what toner was used for and why everyone likes it and all he and the other SA could tell me was that it "tones" the face and deep cleans it.

Um. Well I wash my face and if I need it extra super duper washed I used my Clarisonic. Why do I need toner? They couldn't tell me. It came with a sample pack and I used up all of it. It didn't do anything for my skin - good or bad. It didn't really clean or refine my pores, it didn't make my face feel good or bad, it didn't make my moisturizer work any better and it didn't make my makeup look any better. I'm sure it works for some people out there but for me....I still don't understand what a toner is for.