October 25, 2014 | 899 users online

Eye Primer - Pure Luxe Cosmetics - Shadow Primer

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2009 11:53:00 PM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Sheer nude gel that claims to prevent shimmer/shadow fallout and prevent color fade. You're supposed to apply a very thin layer, let set for 2 seconds, then pat your mineral eyeshadow pigment on with a brush.

PROS:
- NOTHING

CONS:
- Rubbish formula based on Propylene Glycol, which is bad for the skin and causes DNA damage and premature aging of the skin gradually over time
- Does not live up to claims
- Does not work as a primer. I saw absolutely no difference to wearing no primer at all
- Watery gel texture does not provide any coverage
- Wand applicator is messy and hard to get the last bit out

INGREDIENTS:
Water, Propylene glycol, Polysorbate 80, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (and) Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Extract, cellulose gum, Stearic Acid (Vegetable Source), Cetyl Alcohol NF (Vegetable Source), Emulsifying Wax NF (Vegetable Source), Glycerin (Vegetable USP), Palmitic Acid (Vegetable Source), kaolin, mica, iron oxide, Potassium Sorbate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Lecithin (From Soy), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), methylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea, Sodium Bicarbonate (and/or) Citric Acid

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2009 1:33:00 AM More reviews by brandylee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm only doing an initial review of this product since I'm in the mood but when I actually try it out a few times I will update. I have 30+ of pure luxe pigment samples and I really love the colors and all that jazz but getting them on wet can be pain (especially on a daily basis). I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance as a base for all my looks but it does not grab onto mineral shadow too well. I decided to try this since it's meant to be used with mineral shadows so I figured it would work better. I guess pure luxe has been spoiling me with generous samples, but this sample for $3 is pretty small and I can see myself not even being able to get all the product out! It's so cute but I wish it would come in another container or something. But the full size is costly so it's okay- I just wanted everyone to know that the sample is pretty small. Anyway, like others have said, it's more watery and sheer and take some time to dry- though I put this on my hand and then pressed the samples onto my hand over the primer while it was wet hoping it would stick- it did. This seems like a pretty good "middle ground"..foiling them seems to still make them the boldest, but this makes it better than primers that dry so that nothing sticks to them well. I suspect it won't be the best primer since it's so thin, and if it creases on its own I may try this over TFSI and then apply the pigments while it's wet since I hate having to apply them wet on a daily basis and worry about wet brushes all the time!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2008 9:41:00 PM More reviews by tjoyu

Overall a good eye shadow primer. It is a little thinner and watery compared to other primers but the ending result is a no color base which truly grabs eyeshadow and makes it last all day. Another reviewer commented on trying it as a foiling agent...I tried this as well but ended up with unnatural looking results. It looked like you could have peeled the stripe of liner off my eye lid. I know there are other primers out there living off all the hype of being new or repackaged but this one is just a good. The only drawbacks are you have to order this online (no instant gratification) and the initial watery-ness and thinness of the product.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2008 4:12:00 AM More reviews by illini2008

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought a sample of this primer from PL for $3.00 and it came in a clear plastic vial container with a flatstick application. I decided to test it there and then with a eyeshadow i had also ordered ('Shameless' to be precise, it's gorgeous!)

I smeared a bit (very little actually) of the beige fluid on my hand and waited a few seconds (as instructed on the webby) and then swatched the shadow onto the patch of primer. Bad move. Contrary to the website, it takes MORE than a few secs to dry. I had to wait maybe a good minute or so to make sure it was dried to a satiny finish before i swatched the shadow again. But the intensity of the swatch was worth it! I intend to use this primer to foil my shadows but i think i'll stick to my trusty UDPP to prime my lids. Those who do their make up in a rush should stay away from this primer, but others, like me, who are looking for a good foiling agent should definitely check this out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2008 12:19:00 AM More reviews by dtn06

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought a sample of this along with quite a few samples of their eye shadows. I have pretty oily eyelids and eyeshadows usually disappear within a few hours. I bought this primer hoping that it would help with the staying power and the creasing. While my eyeshadows do last longer, I still have the problem with creasing. I would definitely give it a shot since they offer samples. What doesn't work for one may work for another.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2008 12:33:00 AM More reviews by OolilredoO

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Update:
After 2-3 years of not using this product due to an eye condition that prevents me from wearing eye makeup, I recently started wearing eye makeup again. I took off 1 lippie because I find that it needs quite a while to dry before you can apply anything on your lids. I'm not sure why I haven't noticed this a few years ago.

----------------------------------------------------------

This product can be found under the "accessories" section on the Pureluxe site. The sample vial which is 1.5ml goes for $3. The full size is 15ml, and goes for $15. They both come in the same kind of vial with an applicator. It promises on the site that "All it takes is a sheer wash of primer on your eye to keep you looking picture perfect all day! Also makes most shadows more vibrant."

Compared to UDPP, PL's primer is colorless, and it has a thinner and more watery texture. Those who think that UDPP is too drying will love this one. In my opinion, UDPP holds eyeshadows a bit better, but blending is just a pain in the ass for me. With PL's primer, I sometimes will experiences little fall outs from extremely shimmery/glittery shadows, but the majority of them stay on really well and are more vibrant. Blending is super easy too. I don't think I'll ever buy another UDPP again since I've found PL's primer.

I've also used MAC Bare Canvas as a base. PL is much better and cheaper compared to that. Bare Canvas is too dry for, and it makes my teenage eyelids look really old and creppy.

If you are not sure if this primer is for you, order a sample. It lasts more than long enough for you to figure out if you like it.

I also like to order eyeshadow samples from PL because they are so cheap and I get a chance to experience lots of different colors. My problem with these eyeshadows were that they are very sheer unless foiled. But I hate making my brushes wet and it makes a big mess. Their primer solved this problem for me as it makes these eyeshadows so much more vibrant!

Lastly, I gotta rave about PL's customer service. They always respond to emails promptly and give really satisfactory answers to my questions. They ship worldwide, and their shipping is the fastest I've ever seen compared to other etailers.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No