July 29, 2014 | 1600 users online

Liquid - Nixie Cosmetics - Natural Finish Foundation / Oil Free

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2008 12:53:00 PM More reviews by mollymurder

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I must say, I absolutely LOVE this foundation. I have incredibly sensitive skin, that is easily irritated and many foundations end up giving me acne. This covers the redness in my cheeks and easily evens out my skintone. I apply first with a foundation brush, then gently smooth it out with a sponge. At first I thought this foundation would not cover AT ALL, however, after I used it a couple of times and figured the little guy out.... You have to wait for it to DRY to get the full effect of the product. I have a problem with piling more on, when I really don't need it!

One thing I love about Nixie is that it's one of the ONLY brands that makes foundations light enough for a pale girl like me. I have this in Ivory 1, and it's the best match I've ever had in a foundation (mind you, I am GHOSTLY pale). I like the fact that the swatches for the different types of foundation on the website are actually accurate -- same with their eyeshadows. This is one thing I've had a major complaint regarding the MAC website.

I like the fact that this is a LONG WEARING foundation. I'm up by 6:30 every morning, have my make up done by 7:30 so I can get out the door, then I typically go out in the evening and don't get home until between midnight and 2 am. It's nice to not have to touch up really at all during the day, and it doesn't get streaky. If any oilies do break through, I just grab my Nixie pressed powder and that does the trick!

My only complaint is that the liquid is really runny, so a pump would have been much nicer with this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2008 8:22:00 AM More reviews by alisha_the_kitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really dislike this foundation. Maybe I'm just not applying it correctly, but it just doesn't cover that well for me. I have this in the color Ivory 1.

Okay, this foundation doesn't apply well using a foundation brush. The fact that this foundation is silicone-based might be the reason why. Whenever I use a brush, it leaves brush streaks all over my face. It's also really hard to get everything even in coverage. And using a sponge with this foundation also isn't working for me. The foundation just absorbs straight into the sponge, making it all bloated. Barely any of it goes onto my face. I have to keep layering it on (about 7x or more) for it to kinda have any noticeable coverage. Trying to apply this stuff with clean fingers is worse than the other two methods that I tried. So, I'm not sure exactly how I'm supposed to be applying this foundation. Maybe it would go on best with an airbrush, but the website doesn't mention that at all -- and the average woman doesn't even own an airbrush! (I know I don't.)

All in all, the coverage is splotchy and barely there. It will cover some general redness on my cheeks and stuff, but it doesn't cover acne or red acne scars at all. That really sucks since that's the main reason why I bother with liquid makeup in the first place. This stuff is also supposed to be buildable, but I don't really find that to be so. This stuff has light to medium light coverage in my opinion. It's supposed to have medium to heavy coverage -- psssh....maybe only with an airbrush to apply it. This foundation doesn't seem to "set" on my skin very well, either. It rubs off very easily -- hell, it wipes off if I even lightly touch my face. Powder doesn't really help it set or stick to my skin any better. The only thing this foundation does well is make my skin look paler than it is.

And that brings me to one of my other complaints... The website is crap for trying to find your shade. It doesn't have any kind of helpful description for any of the shades or groups. The colors aren't even listed from light to dark. Good luck trying to find your shade on there, you'll need it. I just took a chance with Ivory 1 since I have fair skin. It's too light for me, but I guess it's not an absolutely awful/unusable match for my skin. They also don't have a super great return/exchange policy. You have to return the unused portion in the box within 30 days and provide a reason for returning. The shipping & handling cannot be refunded. It wasn't even worth doing all that just to probably get another shade that doesn't match, or even to get my money refunded back.

Here's another thing I didn't like: the ingredients. They make this foundation sound like the best match for oily/acne-prone skin. Considering that it doesn't cover any red spots that well, I doubt that. It even contains a lot of silicones, which some people break out from. The website, box and label all proudly exclaim that this foundation is oil-free. Not so. The ingredients on the box list macadamia ternifolia seed oil, jojoba seed oil and olive fruit oil. How is that oil-free? Maybe they meant free of mineral oil or free of comedogenic oils (I'm not sure if the three in this foundation are or not), but they really should explain that on the website. It's false advertising if you ask me. I really don't appreciate that kind of stuff when my skin is acne-prone. It's just not something that's worth the risk of getting breakouts.

The only reason I gave this a rating of 2 is because I think it might go on better with an airbrush. I wouldn't recommend buying this if you don't own an airbrush. There are many drugstore foundations that cost less and look better. The packaging is probably one of the better things about this product. The only complaint I have about that is that I wish it had a pump on it. Oh well. Definitely stay away (or at least proceed with extreme caution) from this stuff if your skin is acne-prone.

Ingredients: Dimethicone, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Squalane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Fragrance, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Water, Dipropylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate, Methylparaben, Talc, Triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain +/- : Titanium Dioxide (CI 7789), Iron Oxides (CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499).

(I'll come back and update if my opinion changes.)