July 31, 2014 | 1103 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dr. Bronner's - lavender castile bar soap

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2014 12:16:00 PM More reviews by TheresaDiMoan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

What a wonderful product! Ingredients are awesome. Scents - while utterly simple - is wonderful and truly natural. I like the no-fuss, no-frill attitude of the packaging. Though the bar provides far less reading materials than the liquid soaps. BTW you can also use it for stain removal from clothes (handwashing, of course). My only complaint is that it is a little bit on the drying side.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2014 12:40:00 AM More reviews by Yeochin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh my goodness, never before in my life have I had such an adverse reaction to soap before. I tried this 3 times in the shower, (neck down), and it made my skin crawl with horrible itchiness for well over an hour after I rinsed it off. I slathered myself in anti-itch creams hoping to make it stop. I even hopped back into the shower thinking that I just did not rinse it off well enough.

My poor skin just had to settle down on it's own, and it did, eventually (no welts, hives, or pimples, after the itching dissipated). I have only had this experience with the lavender bar soap so far, and I was silly enough to go on to buy more bar soaps from Dr. Bronner's, despite my skin's initial reaction. I have actually loved both the rose and the mint one for use in the shower, and have had no issues at all.

But I did find a use for my bar of Lavendar soap, call me crazy for not just tossing it in the garbage immediately. One day I just decided to see if it could wash my Beauty Blender Sponge, and wow... Compared to the Beauty Blender Cleanser Solid, this soap works just as well. Lasts 3x as long, and does not cost $15. It even works quite well on my makeup brushes, and if I rinse them off throurougly I experience no irritation.

Will I buy this particular scent again? Heck no, but I do appreciate it for making me realize how well a bar soap could clean my makeup brushes and sponges. I will definitely keep purchasing other solid bar soap scents in this brand, just not lavendar. :P

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by vwzen81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Like many women obsessed with makeup, I have way too many brushes and always dreaded having to clean them. I hated cleaning them so much that I would let far more time pass between cleanings than I should have. The biggest pain in the butt brushes to clean are the ones I use for my foundation; I use a longwearing foundation, so it is a real chore to clean it out of the brushes. I have tried many different cleansers for my brushes and some work better than others but still nothing really wowed me. I have tried baby shampoo, rubbing alcohol, brush shampoo, makeup removing face cleanser, dish soap and liquid castile soap. Never once thinking to try the bar soap version of Dr. Bronners castile soap; that is, until I saw a Youtube brush cleansing video using the bar castile soap. I found my bars in my local grocery store; I bought the lavender and the peppermint scents. In the video the girl stores the bar in a plastic travel bar soap container and keeps the soap in the container while washing her brushes so that the soap doesn't go flying out of her hands; so I too bought one of these travel containers. I washed all of my brushes with the bar soap and I am amazed!! Of course the biggest test was my foundation brush and it came clean in record time using this soap. When using other cleansers it would take me about 30 minutes to clean all of my brushes properly, using the castile bar soap takes me about half the time. Besides the castile getting all of the makeup out of my brushes superbly it also rinses clean, very quickly. When I would use a brush cleaner, dish soap, etc I would stand there for what felt like forever trying to get all of the soap out of my brush. Seriously, best stuff ever; I no longer procrastinate washing my brushes anymore!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2013 10:05:00 PM More reviews by BrittaBot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this soap. I know it's just a bar soap, but the scent, lather, and cleansing qualities are really enjoyable. I started using this after I became unhappy with my Victoria's Secret body wash. That stuff smells great, but I felt it did a poor job cleansing and deodorizing. I ended up feeling dirty later in the day, given the hot summer weather. I now use Dr. Bronner's bar soap every day, and it doesn't dry or strip my skin. It lathers well, smells lovely, and rinses clean. I don't even wear deodorant anymore because I don't get stinky, and I'm confident that it's due to this soap. I also love their liquid soaps (I've used almond, peppermint, and lavender). I highly recommend this line because I think their formulations are high quality and a great bargain for what you get.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2013 8:30:00 AM More reviews by kirakirawow

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a great daily body soap. It has a really soothing lavender scent that doubles as aromatherapy in a hot shower! It's a little pricier than most soaps, but considering one bar lasted me about three months, it's still very reasonable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by MES

I love the smell of lavender and the scent was the main reason I purchased this soap. There are plenty of products that claim to smell like lavender but don't. It's costs more than typical mass market bar soap but it's a better made, all natural product. I found this a tad drying on my body, and super drying on my face, but I need all the moisture I can get. This would be great for someone with oily or acne prone skin. I also used this to wash my brushes and it did a wonderful job. I've had a difficult time finding a product that will not only remove the dirt and oils from from my skin on the brushes, but the pigments for the make up as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2012 5:42:00 PM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

I too agree that washing brushes is even easier with the bar version of castile soap. It takes off stubborn products like foundation, concealer, and lipstick with ease. I also really like the scent of this one and the almond soap. It smells much better than the liquid rose soap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

I've been a loyal fan of the castille soaps for a while, but I recently switched over to the bar soap version after hearing that brush washing is easier with the bar than the liquid.

Whereas I felt like the liquid soap left an irritating film on my hands, the bar soap does not. I simply wet my dirty makeup brush, swirl on the bar of soap and then the palm of my hand to get it clean. I didn't waste a lot of product (like I tend to do with the liquid soap version) and once I was done, I simply let the bar of soap dry and tucked it away in my closet (in a ziploc bag) for future washings.

LOVE.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2012 10:06:00 AM More reviews by polishproblem

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This converted me to bar soap after having just used body wash for many many years. It smells wonderful, and I always feel like it's a special occasion when I use it. I found it to be very moisturizing; I know some people complain about a residue, and I do feel something on my skin after using it, but I actually quite like the feeling; feels smooth and soft!

Very yummy bar, lasts a long time, and I love that it's organic.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2012 8:41:00 PM More reviews by Ztte3699

Dr. Bronner's soap is awesome. I purchased this for the first time while shopping through wholefoods. I initially meant to buy it because my mother puts soap in her drawers to lightly scent her clothes and for a few months, I thought nothing of using it... until temptation hit me and I couldn't control myself anymore, it smelled so good. When i did use it, I wasn't accustomed to the feeling of the residue it leaves but eventually it didn't bother me anymore. The smell is great too, not too overbearing or camphorous as some lavender scents can pull, but instead it is light and relaxing making this the perfect soap to wash your face or shower with after a long day. I even noticed my skin clearing up after using this regularly, recently returning to it after a few months hiatus. And for about 2-3 dollars, it's relatively pricier than dove or any other drugstore soap but its definitely worth it. I'm already on my second bar and have no intention of leaving, and if so, it would only be to try out the other scents.