August 22, 2014 | 1613 users online

Makeup Brushes - Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2014 6:39:00 AM More reviews by annaferugliodaldan

This is just for my UK (and generally metric) pals who want to try this recipe. And btw, as for the perennial problem of finding IPA (isopropyl alcohol, NOT Indian Pale Ale, silly, although that would sort of work I guess) I found some at professional makeup shop in London - I won't name it but a quick search will get you an equivalent I'm sure. They don't sell distilled water so I am trying to make mine, with little success so far, but this is London, it WILL rain soon and then problem solved.

Anyway, if you want to replicate this recipe but are puzzled my the measurements, this is the metric version

240 ml distilled water
60 ml 70% alcohol* (or ~40 ml of 99% alcohol)
7.5 ml each of dishwasher liquid and shampoo
15 ml leave in conditioner.

*this is the dose for the alcohol that is easily acquired in the States. Unfortunately it is very hard to find it in the UK. You can find Surgical Spirit (NOT THE SAME THING AS WHITE SPIRIT!!!!!) or methylated spirit at DIY stores, and if you are chummy with a pharmacy they may part with some rubbing alcohol, but it's hard. And surgical spirit smells... ouch. Not that IPA is odor free, but it's way better.

However, the IPA I found is 99.9%, not 70%. So a little math would tell you that 60ml at 70% is the same as 42ml at 99%. Which is what I am going to use. (Correct me if I am wrong: I am probably wrong). It won't kill you to have more alcohol, it will just disinfect a bit better, but the smell is an issue.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by RhondaGrl87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just tried this today and by all mean i give props to the women or man who thought of this it really helps! Thank you!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2014 10:12:00 AM More reviews by lovelymallie

Here's my brush cleanser, that I swear by and always have used!
It's really simple:

Take some olive oil and babyshampoo (or any other natural shampoo would work) and mix those two together. Bare in mind that you need more shampoo than oil.

Everything else explains itself. Works really effective and I don't get why anyone would buy an expensive brush cleanser, when you can make one yourself for almost no money.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2014 9:13:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

MAC brush cleanser---I LAUGH AT YOU.
Why spend hard earned money on something you can make with things you already own?
Want to learn how to DIY brush cleanser my way? Read on, lovely reader.

1. Gather some dish soap, olive oil, and a container (I recommend a soap dish, it works gloriously for me)
2. Mix the 2 parts soap, 1 part oil, and a bit of water into the soap dish. Make sure you mix it all up well.
3. Now you just dip the brush into your cleanser, and rinse under the sink. I use much less cleanser using the soap dish rather than a cup or what have you.
4.When cleansing, make sure to work out all the makeup with your fingertips, and rinse BRISTLE SIDE DOWN! try not to get water into the metal part of your brush as it will cause the glue to come undone, resulting in broken and shedding brushes. We definitely don't want that!
5.Make sure all the suds are out of the brush, then set them to dry at a downward tilt.
6.Once dry, you can now use your squeaky clean brushes on your beautiful face!!

I always use this to clean my brushes, and it helps to keep them clean, soft, and in good condition.

Don't waste your money on manufactured brush cleansers, lovelies!

NOTE: If you are acne prone, or use your brushes on people other than yourself on occasion, letting the brushes sit in a cup filled with a shallow amount of alcohol is really recommended! It will help to further sanitize the brush, and it makes it easier to clean all the makeup out when you get the actually cleaning the brushes :)

34 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

This is how I do it but I forego the tea tree oil and use lavender essential oil instead...

1 Cup distilled water
1/4 Cup 91% alchohol
1TBSP dish washing soap (Dawn Antibacterial)
1TBSP Castille soap (Lavender)
1TBSP shampoo (EO French Lavender)
1TBSP conditioner (EO French Lavender which is both leave in/rinse out)
A few drops of Lavender essential oil (from the health food store)

Can you tell I like lavender? lol My brushes are so clean and smell yummy! We have a fireplace, so I lay them on a towel and let them dry several feet away from the fire in the wintertime. We also live WAY out in the country so during the summer, I take them to my back deck and lay them out on the table (avoiding direct sunlight) and voilĂ ... clean, dry brushes in no time. The only time I don't dry them outside in the summer is when the pollen is flying around and killing my sinuses :) I did that once and had to go back and re-wash them...ugh! The bristles were literally yellow with all that nasty pollen!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2013 5:07:00 AM More reviews by Ditaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Here I got this recipee from a favorite makeup tutorial instructor of mine in her vid at Youtube (I improve a little bit):
1 tablespoon of Dish washing soap (to disinfect the bacteria)
1 tablespoon of olive oil/jojoba oil (to smothen the brush)
half teaspoon of lime water
Add no water when you clean up your brushes with these three ingredients

Just mix all the ingredients above and clean your brush with it by stiring it up on the plate with the mixture. Later wash off your brush with warm or cold water. And you'll see your squeaky clean brush :) I prefer using this hommade brush cleanser because it's waaaayy inexpensive than the branded brush cleanser. And I feel more comfortable with the material of this cleanser.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2013 8:38:00 PM More reviews by sunflowermad

This formula is amazing and most importantly, affordable!
However, I do want to point out that you might want to pick a hair shampoo that has a pleasant scent! I accidentally picked one with really strong herbal smell, which I do not favor, and now my brushes smell like medicinal herbs...:/ still works wonders though.
1 cup distilled water
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
1/2 tablespoon laundry detergent/ or Castile Soap
1/2 tablespoon hair shampoo
1 tablespoon spray leave in conditioner

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2013 8:21:00 AM More reviews by suzan88

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this! This isn't meant to be a deep clean, but a quick clean for brushes. I used the recipe below, put it in a spray bottle, spray a few pumps on the brush, a few pumps on a micro fibre cloth and rub the brush til there's no 'color'. The brushes also dry quickly. This work so great, a thank you to whomever made this up!!
1 cup distilled water
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
1/2 tablespoon laundry detergent/ or Castile Soap
1/2 tablespoon hair shampoo
1 tablespoon spray leave in conditioner

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by bellatrix13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was really hoping to be able to replace my Mac brush cleaner with something more affordable, but unfortunately this concoction left my brushes less than clean. I experimented a lot with different amounts of alcohol, dish detergent, and shampoo, but even after washing them three times, I can still see concealer/foundation residue on my foundation brush. Back to Mac for me, I guess...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by Afrocutie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Genius. Whilst I like to wash my brushes once a week, I like the thought if spot cleaning. I do have acne prone skin and don't like the idea of putting bacteria on my face every morning.
Looked at the ingredients of most spot brush cleansers and instinct told me na. Then saw this review a while ago and thought to give it a try. Had a spare spray bottle so hey.
Here's my recipe
Distilled water 60%
Alcohol 30%
Shampoo 2 %
Conditioner 5%
Pum pum wash 3%
A few drops of ti-tree oil.

I just shook the cream conditioner with the water to not have any lumps. I didn't want to use dish wash liquid as I use these brushes on my face! What else is a gentle cleanser? Intimate wash if good enough for my lady parts then good for my brushes....., so apart from water & alcohol all my ingredients were organic certified. Not intentional but nice touch.
I only made 100mls of the stuff as I might nor have liked it. The ti-tree was just a added insurance. Well the first time I used it I went through all my brushes & a fair amount of kitchen towel. But now I use it after every use. It dries really quickly, natural and synthetic bristles alike are left really soft & residue free. I can now use favoured brushes for different colours. Best of all, clean brushes in between washing.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No