Home Made Brush Cleaner / Cleanser

1/2 tbsp. clear shampoo
1/2 tbsp. dishwashing liquid
1 tbsp. liquid spray-in conditioner

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Since this brush cleanser if DIY, there will be many variations.

I live in a hard water area (looking into yet another eco-friendly water treatment). I would not use soap because of the ph--just look at the scum that soap leaves on your shower.

I like the produce cleanser as a "green" and excellent cleanser, followed by a good rinse with water + a touch of vinegar.

I would not put conditioner on my face, therefore I would not put it on the brushes. I think it would have adverse effects on product and the face.

This is an excellent brush cleaner and it's as cheap as can be! Super easy to make and at least as good as any other brush cleaner, great find on here!

I am reviewing bar soap under makeup brush cleaners. I use Zest soap. All that you do is wet the soap real well and brush the soap with your brush as if you are painting the soap. The soap will get dirty from your makeup from the brush, just rinse the soap and keep brushing it until the soap is clean. Your brushes will be positively spotless!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have never purchased a brush cleaner. I use anti-bacterial hand soap and mix it in with sorborlene cream. I know it sounds like a weird combination but the sorborlene cream can actually be used as a body wash if you have dry skin. When I use it inconjunction with the hand soap it is amazing. The brushes feel amazingly soft and the hand soap kills the germs and bacteria on the brushes. I haven't had any major shedding and I own brushes that are over 4 years old and they are still in great condition.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

This isn't even DIY, just using an existing product for a different use: BioKleen Produce Cleanser. Don't know why I tried it the first time; most stuff I used left brushes dry and scratchy. Even foundation and concealer come out easily, and it's much easier to rinse out than shampoo or dish soap. Note that it doesn't remove all stains from beautyblenders or dupes, but then again, nothing does.

In Australia,most brush and sponge cleaners are pretty expensive, so I did a Google search for a cheap alternative and this is the one I found that really works and is super cheap:

1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon dishwashing detergent
1 tablespoon vinegar

Mix ingredients together in a small bowl or cup and place brushes bristles down in the mixture. You can swirl the brushes around in the mix if you like, but I prefer to just let the brushes sit for about 10 minutes. You can see the amount of gunk that comes off the brushes - it's amazing. make sure you rinse brushes thoroughly afterward. If you are cleaning large brushes, only put 1 or 2 brushes in the mixture. For smaller brushes, I sit up to 6 in the mixture.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is the best because it is natural, healthy, and cheap! I use it with natural shampoo and conditioner anyways which makes it so, but it works as well as anything you can buy in the store, and obviously costs way less.

I came across these reviews and also watched enjoyed you tube videos and decided to gather up everything and try it out. Let me tell you I will never ever spend money on a bottle of brush cleanser again. This stuff does clean even foundation brushes, and I had read the reviews that it did but I found it hard to believe but it is so true. It does clean even foundation brushes quickly. Try it you will not be sorry, it is great.

This is just for my UK (and generally metric) pals who want to try this recipe. And btw, as for the perennial problem of finding IPA (isopropyl alcohol, NOT Indian Pale Ale, silly, although that would sort of work I guess) I found some at professional makeup shop in London - I won't name it but a quick search will get you an equivalent I'm sure. They don't sell distilled water so I am trying to make mine, with little success so far, but this is London, it WILL rain soon and then problem solved.

Anyway, if you want to replicate this recipe but are puzzled my the measurements, this is the metric version

240 ml distilled water
60 ml 70% alcohol* (or ~40 ml of 99% alcohol)
7.5 ml each of dishwasher liquid and shampoo
15 ml leave in conditioner.

*this is the dose for the alcohol that is easily acquired in the States. Unfortunately it is very hard to find it in the UK. You can find Surgical Spirit (NOT THE SAME THING AS WHITE SPIRIT!!!!!) or methylated spirit at DIY stores, and if you are chummy with a pharmacy they may part with some rubbing alcohol, but it's hard. And surgical spirit smells... ouch. Not that IPA is odor free, but it's way better.

However, the IPA I found is 99.9%, not 70%. So a little math would tell you that 60ml at 70% is the same as 42ml at 99%. Which is what I am going to use. (Correct me if I am wrong: I am probably wrong). It won't kill you to have more alcohol, it will just disinfect a bit better, but the smell is an issue.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Here's my brush cleanser, that I swear by and always have used!
It's really simple:

Take some olive oil and babyshampoo (or any other natural shampoo would work) and mix those two together. Bare in mind that you need more shampoo than oil.

Everything else explains itself. Works really effective and I don't get why anyone would buy an expensive brush cleanser, when you can make one yourself for almost no money.

Popular Makeup Brushes