April 20, 2014 | 1677 users online

Powder - Laura Geller - Balance-n-Brighten Baked Color Correcting Foundation in Fair

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2014 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

I am medium complected, but cannot wear the Medium shade, because it makes my face look like I have a fake tan on, which is not the look I want. So, when Fair came out I tried it. It gives sheer-to-light build able coverage. In no way, can I use this as a foundation. As, it just doesn't provide enough coverage. Therefore, I would always use it as a finishing powder. Over the years, Laura Geller's Balance-n-Brighten has gone through a variety of formulation changes. And, yes, I've tried each one. Never saw a big difference between any of them.

The powder doesn't provide much oil control, so I would always have to touch up during the day. It looks great on my face after an hour or two. But, it normally oxidizes as the day wears on. And, then at the end of the day, I find my face looking a shade darker and on the orangey side as well.

I don't see any real balancing or brightening that it does for my face anyways. I can say that I have given this foundation a fair amount of chances, but I do not plan to re-purchase this product again.

Also, I feel that the price that's being charged for this powder is unreal. The quality is lacking with most of Laura Geller's products. Which is why, I don't plan on buying from her line anymore.

However, I must say that I will continue to watch Laura Geller on QVC when she's on, just won't be buying anything though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I bought this compact two years ago as part of a QVC set, put it away and forgot about it. It is the Fair with SPF. My skin is currently NC25-30/light olive now that summer is over. I have yellow undertones with the odd area of pinkiness. I dug it out this morning and dusted it lightly over my full coverage semi-matte foundation. All I can say is WOW! It looks polished, dewy and gorgeous. The shade looks pale in the pan apart from the darker swirls but absolutely matches my skintone. I can't believe I forgot I had this until today. I think I can safely say I will definitely re-purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by cewkittylover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love how natural this line is! I hate looking like I caked on makeup and the Balance n Brighten gives my skin the soft minimum coverage it needs.

BUT, I noticed that if I happen to go over my face more than once with its accompanying brush, I turn orange. So I would purchase this again, but am crossing my fingers an even light color will come out in the near future, for the days where I need more coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2012 8:02:00 AM More reviews by knitsnbytes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I can't wear mineral makeup, tried Smashbox Halo, which is good but a bit drying. This powder foundation really does what it says--it balances and brightens my mature skin (not many fine wrinkles, normal-dry.) Fair works for me in winter, but it is a bit pale for summer so I switch to Light, which is a bit yellower and darker. When I put this on with a big brush over Spackle or a primer from DHC, my skin becomes even in tone, but not caked with foundation, which is a problem I have with most liquid fnd. It's easy to reapply and carry. For travel, I find this ideal as it's not a liquid and it won't spill or be an issue for TSA. I've repurchased about three times, so I guess I like it. It lasts a long time, too. Easy to adjust how much to apply, and I find a larger powder brush (not the retractable that comes with it) ideal for application.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/23/2012 4:44:00 AM More reviews by Miltonh81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is just ok, the ok is for that it gives a nice flawless finish but I do have to use it over a foundation, the b&b is not enough coverage for my oily open pored skin at all even with my primer. My main issue is that every time I use it my face and neck become itchy and I get red patches of skin I do have quite a sensitive skin but I didn't think that the powder would upset it. I rarely use it now and have switched to bare minerals which is a huge 5 lippies for me!. I think this would be a great foundation for those with a good skin tone needing a slight coverage.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Prissbella

BHT and parabens. Save your money and your skin there are better options than this out there. Check out wet and wild to get the same quality. Seriously can't believe the ingredients list in this crap. Back to QVC it goes.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/3/2012 5:16:00 PM More reviews by amymont

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After seeing Laura Geller demonstrating this on QVC I decided to purchase it in fair. I’m an NC15-20 and this product was way too dark and orangey on my skin. It went on easily and my skin looked good, although darker than it should. Being summer I could get away with looking like I had a tan. After a week of use I got blackheads, blemishes and then cystic acne. I checked the product ingredients. The fourth ingredient is Isopropyl Palmitate, which I found upon checking is derived from an ester of paltmitic acide (from coconut) and coconut oil is about a 4 or 5 on the comedogenic ratings scale. I thought this might be of interest to anyone wanting to try this product who is acne prone. I found this on checking “There are several side effects when using personal care products that contain Isopropyl palmitate. It has been known to cause acne, black heads and white heads when used excessively.” (http://www.naturalwellbeing.com/learning-center/Isopropyl_Palmitate) Perhaps daily use would be considered “excessive”. I checked other Laura Geller products and they also have isoproply palmitate high up on the ingredient list, so unfortunately I won’t be using any more Laura Geller products. Laura Geller was enthusing about all the “good ingredients” in her products and talking about how much care goes into developing them. Some of her ingredients are good but I wish she had used something other than Isopropyl palmitate as there's a lot of people who get blackheads and blocked pores.
Ingredients: Talc, Mica, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Phenoxyethanol, Jojoba Seed Oil, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), BHT.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by zissel

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Other, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Not nice at all. Not enough pigment made my face look dirty.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2012 4:21:00 PM More reviews by jiller777

I own bare mins, smashbox halo powder foundation and both are really nice. I got this and love it ! I usually wear it over Origins Vitazing which is a moisturizer that has mangosteen, so it loks like tinted moisturizer, without the "tinted greasy feeling" Amazing if your on the go and just need some decent coverage. I personally love to use it "sparingly" as a setting powder of my foundation. It totally gives you an airbrushed look of perfection. Im not one for FULL coverage liquid foundations, cus my skin is in pretty good shape, but pairing with a lite coverage foundation and using this to set it, AMAZING. Routine: Moisturizer Estee Luader Day Wear, Primer/benfit porefessional, Estee Luader DW "Light" and a light dusting of the "Light shade" in the LG B&B. I use a small kabuki or powder brush. Leaves u with an amazing finish, radiant, non cakey, FLAWLESS !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 7:43:00 PM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I read some of the reviews I think that some folks have bought the wrong colour. If like me you are super pale get the PORCLAIN. This has a mix of cream, pink and pale tan that goes on great without streaking. I am now so old that I rarely get spots but casting my mind back to when I did, I would have needed a concealer under this product. I much prefer the baked consistency to Bare Minerals which tends to be so messy to use, I have to make-up before I dress. Also the BnB has a matte finish while the others tend to be too shiny and go oily in the heat. I got a free brush with this and I love the fact that it retracts and so stays clean.