September 1, 2014 | 1000 users online

Shampoo - Desert Essence - Organics Green Apple & Ginger Thickening & Volumizing Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by KatWKSF

I'm pretty sure that this product is responsible for the deplorable condition my hair is currently in. I got a hair color/ gloss treatment two months ago from my stylist that left my hair without any volume left whatsoever. I never had much to begin with, so it was really beyond description flat. I have always been more of a hydration and repair type shampoo person because of the fact that I do color my hair, but given its new status after the gloss, I needed to try a different approach. I chose to try this shampoo because I try to use natural and cruelty free products when I can. I wished I could have tested the scent in the store, but the tube had a safety seal in place so you couldn't. If I would've been able to know right then that this fragrance was too strong for me and that I also just plain didn't like the fragrance. I don't smell any ginger in it, I smell an incredibly strong apple smell, more like fermenting apples than a fresh green apple. This product, I think, completely trashed my hair. My hair went from too gloosy and smooth with no volume, to feeling completely stripped and dry. I haven't had "pouffy" frizzy hair since middle school in the 80's when my mom gave me an at-home perm...until now. That's how strong this stuff is: from too smooth and glossy to fried, in a week. I have spent the last three weeks trying to get my hair in better shape before my next hair color appointment. I would not recommend this shampoo to anyone based upon its scent and its moisture-stripping properties.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2012 8:18:00 PM More reviews by sunkisable89

My boyfriend bought this for me on sale for $3 at a local grocery store
At first I didn't really care for it, but after using this product for a month I love it! This is the only product I use on my hair, no conditioner, and after a months use there is no product buildup on my hair. I had no idea how much buildup my roots had! Normally my roots get oily after a day but with this product I can go a couple days without shampooing. I do not even need to straighten my hair anymore, this shampoo gives my hair perfect body without any weird waves. I shampoo, towel dry, air dry and then I'm good to go and I've never had more compliments. I highly recommend giving this shampoo a shot and judging it after a month or so. I will not try any other brand.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by Lgaydos802

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great product that has no unhealthy ingredients in it. It makes my hair full and shiny and I have gotten tons of compliments. I will definitely continue to use this along with the conditioner. The price is great and I love that it doesn't dry out or damage my hair. Not a fan of the smell but I didn't buy it for the scent so I can deal with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by nicola00

Last Update: While the smell still doesn't bother me....I can now confirm that it is drying out my hair. I also think it's stripping the colour to be honest. Returning this!

Update: started mixing this with Hugo coconut shampoo (got it free and don't like the scent on it's own) and love how it takes down the smell of the apple ginger shampoo. It comes out less intense which makes me enjoy it so much more!

Alright so after reading the reviews below I was a little worried to try this. I originally bought grape thinking it was coconut (don't ask) and when I went back to exchange it, there was no coconut left. There were 2 of these left and a wholeeee bunch of Raspberry so I thought this one was better given there were so few left. Anyway...so I tried it for the first time last night and I'm pretty impressed. The smell isn't as bad as I was expecting based on some of the reviews. It does smell like apple with a kick of ginger and it is kind of masculine as another reviewer mentioned. The smell does linger a bit, but after sleeping on it, it went away. It left my hair feeling surprisingly soft after rinsing which again, wasn't expecting after some of the reviews. I bought it for $7 CAD which I find pretty cheap for the size. A small amount is all you need, it lathers up really nicely. Someone mentioned it being kind of watery, I actually thought the opposite. It was a little thick and I like the way it's packaged because when you near the end, you don't have to fight to get it out. I did find a boost in my fine, flat hair. My hair still looks clean this morning and volumized even after sleeping on it. My hair is pretty fine and straight so my roots get oily really quickly. I try to wash my hair every other day but since I go to the gym regularly I was it daily. I only used it once so I will update after a week or so of using it. All in all, I'd suggest this shampoo. Is it my HG? nope. I don't like sticking to one shampoo or conditioner because I get super bored of the scent so I can't imagine I'd ever have a HG shampoo. I would repurchase this brand in a different scent as of right now..

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2011 12:56:00 AM More reviews by peggym

At first I tried the Italian Grape shampoo as it was on sale at my local grocery store. It smelled great and washed well, but I noticed my fine hair needed more. So I looked online and found this volumizing version. After the first few uses, I noticed my hair felt lighter so I kept on using it, and now after about 1 month of use my hair is fluffier and fuller. People have noticed the difference too! This is a great shampoo at a good price for an organic brand. Sure the smell is unusual at first, but I actually like it now and look forward to washing my hair everyday.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2011 11:52:00 PM More reviews by mellay8

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i really love this product--i have long thin wavy hair and i find this shampoo gives be a bit of volume and my hair looks super healthy--absolutely love it--i dont love the conditioner that goes with it as much tho

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2011 8:42:00 AM More reviews by renia22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shampoo is okay for my fine hair, which tends to be oilier at the roots and drier at the ends. The jolly rancher apple scent is strong, but I happen to like it. It lathers well & rinses clean without leaving my hair all tangled. The only issue I have with it, is that it's a bit heavy for my fine hair so sometimes I mix some of the lemon tea tree in my palm along with this one. On it's own the lemon one is too drying for me, but mixed with this one the combo makes my hair full & shiny, with minimal tangles or shedding. Overall, I like the shampoos from this line but I find that I have to alternate with different shampoos because they can be a bit drying over time. You can get an 8 ounce tube online for about $5. The body wash is hard to find in stores, but if you like the scents of these shampoos they do have body washes to match & can easily be found online.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by illeyad

I wish I read the reviews on this product prior to purchasing it. I experienced a similar reaction as the reviewers below me- the product made my scalp itch, which quickly became a pealing rash. It was dreadful. I never expected such a terrible reaction from a natural based product. Additionally, the shampoo didnít make my look healthy and full, instead it dried out my hair after only two washes. I am disappointed with this shampoo.

Happy Shopping.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by goofyhusky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Unfortunately, this is really a piece of crap that doesn't clean, smells weird, and leave my hair unsmooth and crappy.

smell: 0/5. smells not anything like green apple and ginger.
cleaning power: 2/5. doesn't clean well.
feel: 0/5. leaves hair rough and crappy.
price: overpriced!

and it's really not as organic as it claims. junk!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2010 1:28:00 PM More reviews by coucoune

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I liked the apple shampoo in that line but the conditioner didn't work for me; it left a disgusting film, which made my hair gunky and unmanageable, no matter how little I used. I had to stop using it. It didn't even have a nice smell unlike the shampoo. What a shame! Pricey too - small tube for $9.