September 21, 2014 | 988 users online

Top/Base Coats - Healthy Hoof Lacquer

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Great top coat. Dries fast, cheap and leaves my polish super shiny.
The only problem is that the bottle is uncomfortable and it can get very thick. Still, much better than Sache Vitte that was peeling off like crazy.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 9:51:00 AM More reviews by Ebyanne

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used Healthy Hoof religiously until salons started offering gel polish. But I just couldn't stand removing the gel polish--10 minutes with an acetone soaked pad attached to my fingers. Acetone is a poison and 10 minutes on your skin is enough to soak into your bloodstream! Healthy Hoof makes my manicures last 2 weeks, is easy and safe to remove, and is CHEAP! I love it so much I wrote an article about it! http://www.anniesnuggets.com/2011/03/two-week-manicure.html

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 11:16:00 PM More reviews by claudiac105

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

HG top coat, by far! I can't say enough good things.

Healthy Hoof feels like armour for your nails! Three minutes after applying, once it's dried, nails feel like they can go up against anything without chipping. After trying countless drugstore brands, this is by far the best. Not only does it work like magic against chips, but it also gives the most incredible shine I've ever seen. The finish ends up being as hard as a salon shellac manicure. Plus, for people like me, who tend to smudge nails before they dry, this is a godsend. Most of the smudges end up being erased after one coat of this stuff. I've never been able to do my nails within 3 hours of bedtime because i always wake up with creases in my polish-- not any more!

I promise, if you pick up a bottle of this, you won't go back.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by MissBlack1992

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really don't understand the buzz about this. It is not good for many reasons. It peels off!!!!!! It runs out easily because you have to keep reapplying it because it peels off. And the packaging isn't great. It's hard to hold because the handle is small. I feel people only buy this because its marketed as its for horses so it must be strong. And I work with horses and I've never seen people use this on them. Don't buy. It's not worth it. Spend the extra money and get the OPI nail envy.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by joayche

Best. Top. Coat. Ever! It's dirt cheap, and works better than any expensive top coat out there by 100 times. It's thin and dries quick. And absolutely anti-chip. I can go more than 10 days without a single chip. Mind you, I'm a biochemist and I use my hands to do bench experiments a lot. Usually by the 10th day my nails grow out, so I would trim the tips off and the manicure would look flawless again. It does become thicker when there is a third left in the bottle. But most polishes dry up like that as well so it is not a concern for me. Just got buy another one for less than $3!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2013 3:31:00 AM More reviews by emily897

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

If you wear nail polish, you need to buy this. I tested it out by painting one hand with 2 coats of nail polish, the other with 2 coats plus hoof lacquer. The hand with hoof lacquer did NOT chip or dent when the hand without did in a few hours. I could probably get a week out of my manicures without chips if I'm careful and wear hoof lacquer. This stuff makes your nails look flawless/professional. I have gone through a ton of bottles, and best of all, its cheap!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2012 8:57:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

This is my go to nail lacquer. I wear primarily this lacquer alone and only paint my nails for a special occasion right now. It's does exactly what you want a clear nail lacquer to do, it protects the nail, adds an attractive healthy shine, and it nourishes and strengthens the nail. It's also very affordable, 3-4$ a bottle, using once a week it lasts quite a while. I use the healthy hoof protein nail treatment as well and it is amazing. I definitely recommend this line.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2011 12:28:00 AM More reviews by kpxbabii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hoof Lacquer is a godsend! A place near me sells nail supplies for dirt cheap, so I was able to get this stuff for only $3 dollars. I also bought the Seche vite top coat to compare the two, and the hoof lacquer is 1000x better. I put Seche vite on one hand and the hoof lacquer on the other hand and there is no comparison between the two in my opinion. The hand with Seche vite chipped in 2 days or so, whlie the hand with hoof lacquer hasn't chipped at all and it has been 5 days (and going strong!).

My friend recommended to me to only put on one coat, but I personally like thicker nail polish because my nails tend to be very weak and brittle, so thicker nails helps me grow them out. Therefore, I use 2 coats! The problem with this is that it "shrinks" the nail polish ever so slightly. This doesn't really bother me because only I can notice it, even up close my friends can't see it.

Edit: At first I loved this top coat, however as I continued to use it, it became too thick and hard to apply. Because it applied too thickly, it was causing my nail polish to look uneven and shrank the polish significantly. Also, it had weird "cracking" effects that still felt smooth and was barely visible. It didn't do this before, so it may just be because polish tends to get goopy after awhile.

I still prefer it to the Seche Vite, which i detest. I still have not had any chipping from Hoof lacquer!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/28/2011 11:53:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

@Sally's I spotted this and other nail strengtheners, chose this, and I'm pissed that I didn't go with my gut and pick up the other stuff! This does well as a strengthener, IF it stayed on! In one day, it has all peeled off! I guess, you have to wear gloves for EVERYTHING! However, I LOVE the shine! I applied one coat over bare nails, maybe it works better with nail polish???? I'll check it out. My piggies are in MUCH better shape, as it's still nice and glossy. No problem handling the bottle. Not a bad try at $3.99. Also, on my bare nails, I didn't notice any color, just a mega SHINE. SO.............I like it for the toes, not my hands(yet!). Oh, and I also didn't find it quick at drying, almost too watery-like.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2010 3:07:00 AM More reviews by Fr3nchT0astAtN1te

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

i love this topcoat. its super shiny and chip resistant, but it claims to be fast drying and its not. Also it a tiny bit colored. i put it over a blue nail polish and it made it look a little greener. its not noticable but still. other than that it's great.