July 23, 2014 | 1987 users online

Fragrances - Andy Tauer - Andy Tauer's Incense Extreme

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 11:57:00 PM More reviews by innapark

This is a sensual yet elegant skin scent. With a name like Incense Extreme, I expected something loud with tons of sillage. However this resides quietly and tenaciously near the body. I am fascinated by Andy Tauer's signature openings that are scintillating or effervescent and seem to ride a vertical current straight up my nose. This opens with the same ride driven by a dry peppery petitgrain that lightens up the heaviness of the straight-on incense in the heart (which because of my background, conjures up Buddist temple moreso than Catholic church!). And from there you get the Tauer ambergris base. Compared to other Tauer scents (Carillon pour un ange, Orange Star, Rose Incense, Lonestar Memories) this is not nearly as complex, but it retains that distinctive Tauer experimental sensibility. This is daily-wear, bottle-worthy.

Direct from the card:
HEAD NOTES: coriander with fresh pettitgrain.
HEART NOTES: A rich incense, softened with orris root.
BODY NOTES: Dry and vibrant woods over a rich ambergris base.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by tecumsum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Just when I thought that Andy could do no wrong, I receive this as a sample and boy, oh boy, does it pack a punch. More like a sucker punch. This smells exactly like some sort of cleaning solvent on me (think Pine Sol). The strength and sillage really has a stranglehold once applied. Could not scrub this off fast enough. Contact me if you want this full sample that I received from Tauer himself. Maybe you'll have more luck than me with it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 10:12:00 AM More reviews by tessture

Coca cola and cedar at the onset, drying into cumin sweat.This stage passes quickly and it becomes a smooth soft powdered incense. Morphs from that into a very close replica of there cathedral wood incenses I used to buy at a local shop and adored; very wood-chip, wood smoke. Very very nice, but doesn't last above five hours very well. I guess you have to love actual incense to love this one and then it's great.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/9/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by tricksi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow, the cedar punches you in the nose at first application. It does soften a bit after a few minutes but the tart of the note remains for a good bit. Ambergris comes forward and a bit of musk. I don't think the spices are really too noticeable - this is not a spicy fragrance at all so if that's what you're after, you'd be better served choosing something else. It's on the low end of like for me since I don't find cedar overly appealing. Definately unisex.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2008 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Started off smelling like a campfire, which I'm not really interested in smelling like. Then my husband said, "It's starting to smell like sewer gas," and unfortunately, I had to agree. Tried to wash it off, which removed the Eau de Sewage, but left my skin smelling like wet burnt sticks.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2008 11:13:00 AM More reviews by vids

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Andy Tauer is a genius. He has reproduced my scent memory from camp as a young girl scout....I'm in my canvas tent, it's drizzling outside, the pitter-patter of drops release a musty comforting scent. The tent is in the middle of a forest of pine, the trees are blowing and creaking, pinecones litter the ground. The residual smell of the campfire pervades my clothes, and surrounds me as I crawl fully dressed into my warm and cozy sleeping bag. I drift off to sleep...in a comforting smokey haze.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2008 2:36:00 PM More reviews by janebkrn

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a new fragrance from Andy Tauer. He is really maturing as a perfumer! This is a lovely incense, different from most others in that it does not attempt to be churchy or monkish. Initially it is very soft with notes of orris, dry cedar and spices. Then a crisp quality is revealed through ambergis and frankincense. I lowered the lippies on this one only because I prefer pure church incense, however I will have to try it again when I want incense, but want a "happy" one.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No