September 2, 2014 | 913 users online

Masks - homemade - Milk Powder Mask

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2011 3:13:00 PM More reviews by cheapglamour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

i wanted to like milk powder sssooo bad! to the point that even though i could tell it wasnt effective, i still kept using it in hopes it would work.
to be fair, it did benefit my skin. but not in the way that i hoped it would.
(before i begin with my experience, let me just say that its vverrryy time consuming to whip this up every morning and evening! it got pretty tedious.)
after my first wash with milk powder, my skin felt comfortable and hydrated, unlike the tightness i feel after commercial cleansers. it was great! after a few days of using this, my skin GLOWED! i loved it! not to mention, it had begun fading my acne scars!
BUT it didnt help with my acne. although my scars were going away in a matter of weeks, new pimples were still popping up (i guess my acne-prone skin didnt agree with the dairy). i found myself using more chemical products to treat my acne than i used to.
milk powder didnt make my acne worse, but it didnt do anything to decrease my outbreaks like commercial products did.
of course i shouldnt be complaining, since milk powder isnt specialized for acne, but an acne cleanser is what i need.
i recommend milk powder to anyone who doesnt have acne-prone skin. this will improve your skin's texture and even out your tone! for sensitive, acne sufferers like myself, search elsewhere.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2010 8:29:00 AM More reviews by jootje

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm loving this stuff! I sometimes use this as a mask and sometimes I use it as a face wash. I heard about this and decided to give it a try, not really expecting much of it. But from the first time I tried it I was hooked.
For a face wash I put a bit of it in the palm of my hand and add a little lukewarm water till it is a thick paste. I then wash my face with this paste. It is wonderfully soft and I love the smell of it (warm milk, yum). When I'm done my face feels clean but not stripped. I used to think my face didn't feel stripped after washing with my gentle face wash, until I experienced this. So much better. It doesn't remove make-up though so I only use this in the morning sometimes.
For a mask I just leave on the paste for 15 minutes or so.
After using this (both wash and mask) my face looks incredbly toned and my pores pretty much vanish from sight. I've never seen my face looking as good as it does right after I've washed it with this. Unfortunately my pores do return a bit throughout the rest of the day, but my skin still looks a lot better.
I just use the powdered milk I got from the grocery store. I heard that regular powdered milk is better for dry skin and non-fat powdered milk is better for oily skin. I use non-fat.
Overall this is amazing.
Update: I mainly use this as a mask now. As a facewash it's great but too much of a hassle and I've found an extremely gentle cleanser that I love so I just use that now. As a mask this is still great though!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2010 9:39:00 PM More reviews by maggiperk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When my skin starts looking a little dull, I use a powdered milk mask. First thing in the morning, as soon as I wake up, I'll put some powdered milk in the palm of my hand and add a little warm water. I use my finger to stir it into a paste and rub it over my unwashed face. Then I go make my coffee, brush my teeth do my usualy morning stuff (wait about 5 minutes) and I rinse it off in the shower.

My skin just looks so fresh and smooth afterward. It's the cheapest mask out there and much more effective than anything I've tried.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2008 4:43:00 PM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Although I don't use milk powder as a mask, it is my favorite facial scrub. I have sensitive, acne-prone skin with a ton of blackheads unless i take action - i use this as a scrub everyday and it has never irritated my skin. It just makes my skin soft and glowy. HG for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2008 9:22:00 PM More reviews by oasdus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I made a mask and bath product tonight with oatmeal (which I food processed to be finer), brown sugar, milk powder (processed those too) and then added enough honey to wet to the right consistency I wanted for a mask. I sat in the bath and applied this to my face. Some of it fell off into the bath water, but that was just fine. I packed it on my face and used some to massage my damp body skin. Then, dumped the remaining into the bathwater, along with some oils and salt. Then I sat back for a bit. I massaged the mask into my skin gently. I could not help but lick some of it off, it was sooo good. Then finally, I rinsed it all off. My face and body were so soft and smooth. My facial skin looked calm, smoother, and less redness. There is definitely something to using these "old-fashioned" natural ingredients (although I love science's chemicals too, when they are beneficial :). I am going to experiment more with using alone or in combination: milk powder, honey, oatmeal, brown sugar, salt, olive oil, and maybe certain herbs n spices for facial masks and bath.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2008 3:47:00 AM More reviews by fes_fsa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

regular powdered milk works great for this mask too. my folks are always giving me boxes of generic powdered milk (just in case i run out of the regular stuff). i got the idea for this when i decided to use the powdered milk in the bathtub. i dissolved 2 cups in hot water and then filled the rest of the tub with warm water. i must say that i liked how my skin felt after a milk bath more than i do when i use bath oils--like my skin is soft, but not coated or slick. i decided to give it a try on my face and i LOVE it! i just make a paste of powdered milk and warm-hot water (i find that the warmer the water is, the easier it is to break down the grittiness of the milk), slap it on a freshly washed face, wait about 15-20 minutes and voila! i've got smooth, soft skin.

i swear, as soon as i used it on my face, i immediately thought "oh my god. who has reviewed this and what other beauty uses do they have for this?" i'm SHOCKED that this hasn't been reviewed more, as milk has been a beauty secret since the times of ancient egypt.

this delivers where the asprin mask failed (for me anyway--the asprin mask didn't do ANYTHING). so if you didn't like that home remedy, give this one a shot.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2008 10:00:00 PM More reviews by desertmoon

I tried this, but I couldn't find organic milk so I used a little bit of my baby niece's formula milk powder and mixed it with a bit of water and used it as a mask...voila!! it works!! blackheads disappear and my face looks smoother and less bumpy :D will do it again soon!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2008 6:45:00 PM More reviews by fqari84

This is a homemade recipe that I use on my face once-twice a week:

1. Organic Milk Powder (found in health food stores), try to stay away from the non-fat formulations if you have dry skin...however, acne-prone and oily/combination skin would do well with non-fat/low-fat formulations.
2. Water OR a gentle alcohol-free toner (I use Simple)...you can also get adventurous and try green tea (brew a cup first, I prefer organic) or rosewater.

Mix the milk powder with the liquid of choice into a bowl until the right consistency is achieved, then slather on face (I also use it around my eyes) and also on the neck if required. Leave on for 10-20minutes (wait for the milk paste to dry) before washing off. Tone and moisturize with your own skincare products after washing off mask.

I prefer to do this instead of buying my masks, it works like a dream and clears out your pores beautifully! My skintone is also alot more even after using this mask regularly. It helps with dark eye bags too...I'd say it's the lactic acid in the milk that helps in gently exfoliating your skin and leaving you with a brighter complexion...cheap, efficient and great for all skin types, this will always be a part of my weekly facial regime!

UPDATE 2/9/2008: I had a humongous red zit on my nose recently and the milk mask helped in calming it down (to be fair I did use a zit gel on top of it afterwards)...two days later it disappeared with almost no peeling or flakiness! very impressed and pleased!
I read a tip on a website on how a paste of milk and water helps to heal boils when applied on them...I have one very pesky boil that has not gone away in months, so I will try it on that!

33 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No