September 21, 2014 | 1903 users online

Hair Color - Herbatint - Permanent Haircolour Gel

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2014 7:56:00 PM More reviews by lola11112

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

PLEASE avoid this product unless you want your hair to fall out! I'm not trying to be dramatic. I'm just trying to help others avoid what I've been through. I used this product once and it completely dries out on hair. The hair all around my crown is completely bald! This has been the worst hair experience I have EVER had. Wouldn't wish this on anyone.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by erdly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really struggle with giving this product a 3 star rating, more of a 2.5 for me. I can't give it too low of a rating, because it does cover really well and it looks very glossy. However, it's about 2 shades darker than I expected. I have used 5N & 6C shades, from different companies, for years. This is more of a 3.5N on me. I have naturally light golden brown hair, but don't typically use a 5D because I have so much brass that comes through. I previously used the Herbatint 6C, Dark Ash Blonde, and was pleased with the results. I wouldn't consider that a blonde, definitely darker, but I expect that from an ash. I did not expect such a drastic difference between the 6C & 5N! I would also note that I don't remember getting a rash from the 6C, but the 5N made my skin red everywhere it touched. It went away, but that was a red flag for me. I noticed a ton of hair lost during this last coloring (the 2nd one with Herbatint) and I have been coloring my har for many years, with traditional permanent & demi-permanent but "natural" for the past 7-8 years. I've even done henna/indigo (nice, but oh so time consuming and I never could get used to the smell). My hair has been shedding a lot in the past week. Maybe the last coloring just coincided with the end of life cyle for a lot of my hair, but it's a touch distressing. Also, with every other brand I've used, I can use one box for 2 colorings, but have to use almost all of the whole box of Herbatint. It does seem to last 2 weeks longer than Naturcolor and Tints of Nature, but I'm not sure that's enough of a reason for me to use Herbatint again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2014 12:26:00 PM More reviews by april1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Sad to see some negative reviews here, but I get it as it's not everyone's cup of tea. The texture is unusual for hair color and it does require your own mixing bowl and tinting brush (which are a rather cheap investment anyway).

Me, however? Love. Love. Love. My hair: fine but über thick, naturally wavy/curly & color-treated = essentially a recipe for dry and potentially damaged hair. Add in that I live in Southern California and I surf regularly so you get a good picture of what I'm dealing with. I color my hair because I have a smattering of grays

What I love:
1. The product is thin, nearing runny but not quite (think egg whites). This is good for me because I have a ton of hair and a thinner product is MUCH easier to spread and get good coverage evenly for all my hair. It feels like a tint but it's permanent.
2. There is almost no scent. Like maybe a bit of rose, but nothing like some other natural brands and definitely not disgusting and borderline asphyxiating as commercial brands.
3. The color seems to last much longer than other brands and no run-off in the shower on the initial uses like other health food store brands.
4. You can easily measure enough product for a root touch-up and save the rest for the next one. The bottles have good twist seals and because it's thinner it's easier to measure out just what you need.

Tips:
1. The color runs dark so plan to go 1-2 shades lighter than what you want. Eg. I want a medium golden brown and I use Herbatint in dark golden blonde.
2. You have to supply your own mixing bowl and tint brush, so be prepared.
3. It's thinner so you need to make sure you're not adding too much to the brush or it will be messy. Have a towel on the floor to catch spills. I haven't spilt yet but I always prepare.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 4:16:00 AM More reviews by Shiva13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been dying my hair for the last 25 years since I had had salt-and-pepper hair since my early twenties. I started out with henna and I can claim that I have been through every brand available in the market.

I have a problem with chemical hair dyes: they trigger my migraine attacks. Since I have to dye my hair every three weeks, I have endured these attacks until my thirties, once or twice even seeking medical help. Too high a price to be paid for young-looking hair?

I also had concerns about chemicals such as resorcinol and triethanolamine, which were associated with cancer. So, I changed to Phyto. The colour was great, but it washed off too quickly and it was too harsh to my hair with its high ammonia content. Then I came across Herbatint. I even hesitated to use the first bottle I bought for a while. But the result was a pleasant surprise: it is a much gentler formula, has long staying power, and does not cause any migraine attacks.

But you have to bear in mind that the finish turns out a bit darker than chemical hair colours. I started out with 4R, which looked almost black on me. Now I'm going for a 5R.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2013 3:21:00 PM More reviews by ekum

i don't know whether i would buy it again....Actually i did like the colour when just done. I mixed 4c and 7c to get appr 6 with ashtones...the idea of dying the red tone off to a more natural/cool tone. It did cover grey (lightly...just fine)...After two weeks-or 6 washings (with sulfate-free shampoo) the effect was gone...the red glow unfortunately back. I like the idea that it is almost 100% natural and low hydroxinperoxide (3%)....but i think that means 'no long hold'

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2013 7:30:00 AM More reviews by ororzzz

I have been using this for about 6 months every 5 weeks roughly. Love, love, love the colour. It is beautiful and makes natural caramel looking highlights (i have brown hair and use dark blond) . Hate the fact that it damages my hair so badly. My hair is now breaking on the crown and top in short frizzy bits, and feels like straw. Nothing seems to repair it (hair masks, oil, protein conditioner, leave in conditioner). I basically have fried my hair with this product i might need to cut it off. It also makes my scalp very itchy, and flaky, like every other color i have tried.

i was silly to keep using it for so long, it is because the color is so pretty.
I use all natural shampoo, don't go swimming and have normally thick, wavy, strong hair.

if you do really want to use this anyway, do make sure that you condition VERY well immediately afterwards. The little sachet of conditioner they give you is good stuff, but there is not enough for me (and i have a bob).
One lippy for the awesome color.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 3:29:00 AM More reviews by cadbury

Trying to use something more gentle on my hair, I decided to try this. As reviews mention, colors run darker. If you look on the Herbatint website, they will tell you to go 2 shades lighter than you normally would. Don't get caught up with the names, because "dark blonde" may be light brown, "chestnut" may be dark brown, etc.

In order to get a dark brown, I chose 5N Light Chestnut. The N colors provide the best grey coverage, and it is recommended you use one or mix it together with a non N shade to achieve proper coverage.

The product has no scent, which is great. It is also easy to mix the two together, and once mixed, they make a gel that does not drip.

After my first coloring, some white hairs were completely uncovered, some were covered and some were yellowish.
After the first wash, more were yellow and more were visible. I usually color my regrowth every two weeks, but this was so poor it was if I hadn't bothered at all.

I waited and recolored after two weeks. My regrowth was double what it normally would be in some places, because the dye didn't take last time.

From the second time I used it, it started working fine. I'm glad I gave it another chance because it is lasting just as long as my previous hair dye - I am using sulfate free shampoo which may help. I will stick with this if it will keep my hair healthy.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2013 6:26:00 PM More reviews by ironicsymphonic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

STAY AWAY. I used this for about 8 months. I re-touch my hair every 6-8 weeks or so. I switched to this from drugstore color because it's got less chemicals and doesn't test on animals. The first few dye jobs were fine, but after four or five of them, my hair slowly went to hell. It got dry, it lost its shine, and worst of all, it started falling out in clumps - and I'm young and healthy and have been dying my hair for YEARS, and have always had pretty hair until this. Also, the last time I put this stuff in, my hair honestly felt like frayed, dry ROPE when I rinsed it out in the shower. Conditioner mostly smoothed it out, but huh? I couldn't even get my fingers in there - it was like a helmet of matted tangles. And I take excellent care of my hair and have never experienced anything like this. Sigh. I'm now shelling out for high-end reconstructing shampoo to fix some of the damage. Off to find a new brand of hair dye.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/19/2013 7:57:00 AM More reviews by a1010

I am usually allergic to hairdye so when my hairdresser recommended a natural product I found this one. It was promising to begin with and the instructions were very easy to use. My only problem with it is that the colour is completely different than it said on the box... I went for 4R which was described as copper chestnut but my hair is literally bright red now. Don't get me wrong, I like it but it was completely unexpected. I probably should have done a strand test but I never expected there to be such a variation in colour! Especially when it wasn't a henna product! Overall, my hair feels okay but I'm worried about how dry it has become - better get some strong conditioner if you're using this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2012 6:52:00 PM More reviews by Thaxter

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wow! Where has this Italian product been all my life?? I took the plunge and put a straight color of Golden Chestnut (4D) into my chin-length, greying hair, which had been dyed at the salon about four months ago. The result was a very rich brown shade which, in the sun, has a wonderful reddish tint. It is quite subtle. The shade was much darker than I would have thought, and had I taken the time to read all the reviews on the vitacost site, where I bought the dye, I would have gone toward a lighter shade. All the same, I just love it.

Ease of application is amazing. Just mix two liquids in a plastic bowl and stir, or use a plastic haircolor bottle and shake. The product forms into a light gel. I used a hard bristle toothbrush (couldn't find a tint brush at the drugstore) to touch up my temples and roots first, then finished my hair, which I had sectioned into three parts. The application went quickly, and it was easy to use a wide tooth comb to distribute all the gel through my hair. I hate messy applications, and this gel is a dream -- it doesn't glob, drip, or otherwise make life a hassle for you.

If you don't use all the product, you can cap the two bottles and return it to the box and use it the next time.

After distributing the color, I piled my hair on top (the gel stuck nicely together), put on a shower cap, and set a timer for 40 minutes. No strong odor or unpleasant sting.

In the shower, this washed out like a dream. Again, there was no mess -- no pools of really dark color from drugstore brands, none of the grit of henna . . . just a lightweight gel that washed out quickly and didn't stain the tub, walls, or shower curtain. The conditioner that comes with the box is rich and perfect afterwards, and you can buy the conditioner separately to have on hand. This dye does have a tangling effect after wash out, and you will need a rich moiturizing conditioner with it. A good alternative conditioner to the Royal Conditioner Herbatin makes is Aubrey Organics White Camilla.

I think the color effect is luxurious. It's a bit dark, but I'm okay with it for now. When looking at the colors at the web site, bear in mind that the actual base color is the darkest shade you'll see in the samples, not the highlighted bright tresses illuminated by artificial light. So always go a shade lighter.

I'll never go back to any product -- I love this. And it deeply colored ALL my grey! I'll check in in the future to give an update of wear over time.

9/1/12
Here's an update of wear. This color lasted well over a month. I have taken to using Light Chestnut, which gives a rich auburn shade to my otherwise medium chestnut shade. Color stays rich throughout the month with minimal fading. I do not find it flat or one-dimensional, as some have said, but just the opposite: I can see subtle highlights when I'm outdoors or inside.

No harsh chemicals, a wide range of rich Italian colors, terrific coverage, long lasting, and no stains on your bathtub or sink . . . what's not to love?

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No