April 18, 2014 | 1747 users online

Hair Color - Herbatint - Permanent Haircolour Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 4:16:00 AM More reviews by Shiva13

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been dying my hair for the last 25 years since I had had salt-and-pepper hair since my early twenties. I started out with henna and I can claim that I have been through every brand available in the market.

I have a problem with chemical hair dyes: they trigger my migraine attacks. Since I have to dye my hair every three weeks, I have endured these attacks until my thirties, once or twice even seeking medical help. Too high a price to be paid for young-looking hair?

I also had concerns about chemicals such as resorcinol and triethanolamine, which were associated with cancer. So, I changed to Phyto. The colour was great, but it washed off too quickly and it was too harsh to my hair with its high ammonia content. Then I came across Herbatint. I even hesitated to use the first bottle I bought for a while. But the result was a pleasant surprise: it is a much gentler formula, has long staying power, and does not cause any migraine attacks.

But you have to bear in mind that the finish turns out a bit darker than chemical hair colours. I started out with 4R, which looked almost black on me. Now I'm going for a 5R.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2013 3:21:00 PM More reviews by ekum

i don't know whether i would buy it again....Actually i did like the colour when just done. I mixed 4c and 7c to get appr 6 with ashtones...the idea of dying the red tone off to a more natural/cool tone. It did cover grey (lightly...just fine)...After two weeks-or 6 washings (with sulfate-free shampoo) the effect was gone...the red glow unfortunately back. I like the idea that it is almost 100% natural and low hydroxinperoxide (3%)....but i think that means 'no long hold'

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2013 7:30:00 AM More reviews by ororzzz

I have been using this for about 6 months every 5 weeks roughly. Love, love, love the colour. It is beautiful and makes natural caramel looking highlights (i have brown hair and use dark blond) . Hate the fact that it damages my hair so badly. My hair is now breaking on the crown and top in short frizzy bits, and feels like straw. Nothing seems to repair it (hair masks, oil, protein conditioner, leave in conditioner). I basically have fried my hair with this product i might need to cut it off. It also makes my scalp very itchy, and flaky, like every other color i have tried.

i was silly to keep using it for so long, it is because the color is so pretty.
I use all natural shampoo, don't go swimming and have normally thick, wavy, strong hair.

if you do really want to use this anyway, do make sure that you condition VERY well immediately afterwards. The little sachet of conditioner they give you is good stuff, but there is not enough for me (and i have a bob).
One lippy for the awesome color.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 3:29:00 AM More reviews by cadbury

Trying to use something more gentle on my hair, I decided to try this. As reviews mention, colors run darker. If you look on the Herbatint website, they will tell you to go 2 shades lighter than you normally would. Don't get caught up with the names, because "dark blonde" may be light brown, "chestnut" may be dark brown, etc.

In order to get a dark brown, I chose 5N Light Chestnut. The N colors provide the best grey coverage, and it is recommended you use one or mix it together with a non N shade to achieve proper coverage.

The product has no scent, which is great. It is also easy to mix the two together, and once mixed, they make a gel that does not drip.

After my first coloring, some white hairs were completely uncovered, some were covered and some were yellowish.
After the first wash, more were yellow and more were visible. I usually color my regrowth every two weeks, but this was so poor it was if I hadn't bothered at all.

I waited and recolored after two weeks. My regrowth was double what it normally would be in some places, because the dye didn't take last time.

From the second time I used it, it started working fine. I'm glad I gave it another chance because it is lasting just as long as my previous hair dye - I am using sulfate free shampoo which may help. I will stick with this if it will keep my hair healthy.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2013 6:26:00 PM More reviews by ironicsymphonic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

STAY AWAY. I used this for about 8 months. I re-touch my hair every 6-8 weeks or so. I switched to this from drugstore color because it's got less chemicals and doesn't test on animals. The first few dye jobs were fine, but after four or five of them, my hair slowly went to hell. It got dry, it lost its shine, and worst of all, it started falling out in clumps - and I'm young and healthy and have been dying my hair for YEARS, and have always had pretty hair until this. Also, the last time I put this stuff in, my hair honestly felt like frayed, dry ROPE when I rinsed it out in the shower. Conditioner mostly smoothed it out, but huh? I couldn't even get my fingers in there - it was like a helmet of matted tangles. And I take excellent care of my hair and have never experienced anything like this. Sigh. I'm now shelling out for high-end reconstructing shampoo to fix some of the damage. Off to find a new brand of hair dye.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/19/2013 7:57:00 AM More reviews by a1010

I am usually allergic to hairdye so when my hairdresser recommended a natural product I found this one. It was promising to begin with and the instructions were very easy to use. My only problem with it is that the colour is completely different than it said on the box... I went for 4R which was described as copper chestnut but my hair is literally bright red now. Don't get me wrong, I like it but it was completely unexpected. I probably should have done a strand test but I never expected there to be such a variation in colour! Especially when it wasn't a henna product! Overall, my hair feels okay but I'm worried about how dry it has become - better get some strong conditioner if you're using this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 8:19:00 AM More reviews by krisiva

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am happy to discover this hair color after using henna for years (which is a sort of messy and somehow doesn't work for me anymore). I love the fact that it contains fewer dangereous chemicals than most hair dyes and leaves my hair soft, shiny and strong. My hair does not fall after the color treatment, which is amazing having my bad experience with other brands. And the conditioner is great. I use it in shade 5N Light Chesnut and the color is fantastic match for me, but for sure it is a little bit darker than light chesnut. Highly recommended product, really!
I manage to buy it at very good price from www.iherb.com (and you can use code TOV126 for $10 discount).

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2012 6:52:00 PM More reviews by Thaxter

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wow! Where has this product been all my life?? I took the plunge and put a straight color of Golden Chestnut (4D) into my chin-length, greying hair, which had been dyed at the salon about four months ago. The result was a very rich brown shade which, in the sun, has a wonderful reddish tint. It is quite subtle. The shade was much darker than I would have thought, and had I taken the time to read all the reviews on the vitacost site, where I bought the dye, I would have gone toward a lighter shade. All the same, I just love it!

Ease of application is amazing. Just mix two liquids in a plastic bowl and stir, or use a cheap plastic haircolor bottle and shake. The product forms into a light gel. I used a hard bristle toothbrush (couldn't find a tint brush at the drugstore) to touch up my temples and roots first, then finished my hair, which I had sectioned into three parts. The application went quickly, and it was easy to use a wide tooth comb to distribute all the gel through my hair. I hate messy applications, and this gel is a dream -- it doesn't glob, drip, or otherwise make life a hassle for you.

After distributing the color, I piled my hair on top (the gel stuck nicely together), put on a shower cap, and set a timer for 40 minutes. No strong odor or unpleasant sting was felt.

In the shower, this washed out like a dream. Again, there was no mess -- no pools of really dark color from drugstore brands, none of the grit of henna . . . just a lightweight gel that washed right out and didn't stain the tub, walls, or shower curtain. I used a LOT of conditioner and air dryed my hair.

My luxurious color is so beautiful. Yes, it's dark for me, but since I've always loved dark brunette, I'm okay with it for now. I've already ordered my next two colors: light ash blonde and light golden chestnut, which I'll mix.

When looking at the colors at the web site, bear in mind that the actual base color is the darkest shade you'll see in the samples, not the highlighted bright tresses illuminated by artificial light in the photos. So search out the shadowy part of the hues, and use that as a guide. Always go lighter than you think. This is an Italian brand, and their definitions of "blonde," "chestnut," etc. are very different than ours.

I'll never go back to any product -- I love this. It also hasn't left my hair dry as others have said. I hope they never stop making this all-natural hair gel. Oh, and yes, it deeply colored ALL my grey! I'll check in in the future to give an update of wear over time.

9/1/12

Here's my update of wear over time. This color lasted a long time. I have taken to using Light Golden Chestnut, which still gives a rich auburn shade to my otherwise medium chestnut shade. This really covers my grey well and lasts over a month. Note that the grey hairs come out lighter than the nongrey hairs, and this works, as it creaetes a natural highlighting effect. Color stays rich throughout the month with minimal fading.

This does leave my hair drier because it doesn't use silicones like the drugstore brands, but their conditioner, Royal Creme, works wonders (as does Aubrey White Camilla conditioner).

No harsh chemicals, beautiful subtle shades, terrific coverage, long lasting, and no stains on your bathtub or sink . . . what's not to love? :)

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2012 1:59:00 PM More reviews by geb910

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Just tried this product for the first time. My hair was not in the best shape going into this color (dry from going brown to blonde back last July!) so I wanted to spare as much more damage as possible and still cover the few grays I'm getting. 1) the smell was wonderful compared to any others I've used 2) the display at the store said to buy 1 shade lighter than you normally do which I did and the color is great. My hair does not feel any worse (dryness) than it did before coloring. I think this product is good -- if my opinion changes I'll post another time. It is a bit expensive, but I was using John Frieda which is the same price but actually made my scalp get bloody patches (though color is super). Worth a try!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/9/2011 4:55:00 PM More reviews by MissK4012

I have previously colored my hair with just about every drugstore and salon product in the world - about 3 years ago, I decided I wanted to go more natural and quit coloring altogether...
... Fast forward to last week: I was finally fed up with my natural hair color - what used to be a slightly strawberry toned medium blonde had become a mousy, flat dark blonde - I was ready to try coloring again. So as not to completely ruin my natural routine, I started researching less chemical-ly hair colorants and decided to try HerbaTint.
Having read many reviews, I knew this color would show up dark - I was looking to go dark blonde/light brown with neutral or slightly reddish undertones. I chose 7N Blonde because based on reviews and the photo on the box it was definitely NOT blonde, but a very natural looking light brown. My hope was that is would either be neutral as advertised (no red or ash tones) or a bit reddish (realistically, my hair always pulls red).
The color: I followed the directions exactly and my hair turned out... GREEN. An extra-ashy, brownish gray in most light, and straight GREEN in bright light. In the week since I have colored, most of it (except for the ends) has faded to a less disgusting color (kind of a coppery light brown) but not a shade that is anything like the photo on the box, nothing akin to a blonde of any kind, and nothing that does anything for my complexion.
Worse than the color: I have never had a hair coloring product make my hair feel so dry and look so flat (except once years ago when I had a bleaching accident - but that was straight BLEACH). After a week of washing and conditioning, the top few inches of newer growth are starting to regain a bit of softness and shine. The rest of my hair (which is near waist-length) feels dry, has no shine at all, and pretty much looks fake or dead or something. Even oils and glossing products won't make it look shiny in the least.
I found this to be VERY disappointing for a supposedly more natural product. I expected I might not get great coverage or lasting power due to the lack of ammonia and ppd and the presense of (supposedly) plant-based dyes - but I always assumed less chemicals meant SAFER for my hair. I guess I learned my lesson about making assumptions!
I did give this product 1 lippie, just for the coverage. If there are hair types out there that this does not dry out, the coverage is superb. I don't have grays but I do have MANY stubborn whiteblonde hairs and all are perfectly hidden behind my terrible new ashiest-green/brown-hair-color-ever. If you're willing to risk a bad experience and happen to find a color that works for you, I imagine this will cover gray and white hair very well indeed. I also would have liked the absence of parabens, if this color weren't so gross.
OVERALL: I will have to turn back to the DS dyes I have shunned for 3 years just to fix the corpse hair HerbaTint left me with. I would have been better off not coloring at all and will definitely NOT buy this again.
UPDATE: Raised one lippie. After giving this a few more days, the green/gray color has faded out and my hair is the intended color now. Also, some softness and shine has reappeared, so at least my hair is not permanently damaged as badly as I had thought. I still won't be buying again though - this much drying and waiting over a week for my hair to look decent is not worth it.