September 21, 2014 | 2047 users online

Fragrances - Tova - Tova Signature Eau De Parfum

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 9:39:00 AM More reviews by sillage

Just bought Tova Signature, and I love love it -- holy grail worthy. Bought it from QVC.com on Friday, arrived yesterday, wearing it now -- love it! The photo here is of an older bottle style -- they have changed the bottle to a pretty tall clear column with a black bow on the cap, which is shaped like a round gold dome.

I was just introduced to Tova Signature by smelling it on someone less than a week ago. I passed a lady in the grocery store last Friday evening 3/14/14 after work, and she smelled *incredible*. Maybe she had just sprayed before going to the grocery store, but at 6pm, she wafted quite strongly and could be smelled from a couple yards away. She was almost wafting too strongly, but not quite.

I knew it had to be some kind of a musk (I'm a musk *fiend*!), and my head started swirling with the possibilies of what she might be wearing. I thought maybe Jovan White Musk (or even Jovan orig?) -- or maybe Body Shop White Musk. I was mostly leaning toward one of those 2 white musks -- which I love and already had at home.

It was basically just a musk perfume, more toward the *white* musk side, I thought. It was *very* warm, sensuous, & delicious -- with a good strong throw. I smelled no fruits or flowers -- it was just natural & musky.

I passed her a couple times before finally asking, "Is it you that smells so good?", and she beamed and said, "Yes". I asked her, "What is that you're wearing?", and she replied (thankfully she didn't want to keep it a secret!), "Tova -- I bought it off QVC".

Well, she smelled so wonderful, I had to have it *asap*, so that very evening, I bought some online.

I bought the 3-piece gift set, with 3.4oz EDP, lotion, and shower gel (3-piece was same price as 3.4 EDP only, so it made sense). I used the shower gel last night -- must say that scent was really off from the EDP's scent, and I wouldn't need another. The lotion tube's scent is fairly accurate to EDP's scent (not exact, but close enough, esp after rubbed in), and I might get that again, but I can live without that shower gel.

Now -- about the TerraNova China Musk oil (aka Body Time, they're sister companies) that many say Tova is based on. I have 2 bottles of original China Musk oil and have for many years. Seeing online that they were similar, while I was waiting for my Tova to arrive, I pulled out and wore my China Musk oil for a few days. Let me tell you that they are quite different!

Yes, at first, I got a very similar scent from my China Musk oil that I got from passing that lady in the grocery store -- however, after it had dried down on my skin, the China Musk turned 1/2 sugary vanilla on me. It was like Tova on top and sugary vanilla on the bottom.

That's the annoying part of China Musk oil. Mine is the original -- I read on MUA that Body Time has changed China Musk, and it now contains a mint note. My original China Musk is great at first, similar to Tova at first, but turns annoyingly sugary vanilla in the drydown -- and the note list does include vanilla. Plus, there's a lavender note in Tova that China Musk lacks.

Per the QVC website, Tova has a top note of bergamot, middle notes of lavender and jasmine, and base notes of amber, sandalwood, and musk.

I *much* prefer the Tova Signature I have on now to my TerraNova China Musk oil, and I will continue to order Tova Signature from QVC, since I plan to wear this a *lot lot lot*! I think it's a fantastic soft musky skin scent - very sensuous - similar to a white musk but so much better. It's quite strong with good throw & lasting power. Absolutely wonderful!

(Since Tova was listed twice, I've placed my review under each listing.)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by astraltraveler

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wore this a lot back in the day... until they ruined it! Found out Tova copied Body Times 30+ year old China Musk oil for this scent. Just look up "Halbert Tova China Musk" online!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by Fragranceaddict

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am new to Tova and thought hmmm I will give this stuff a try. When I read further I discovered there was an "old" formula that is no longer being made. However I thought I will still try it. For my personally the scent was like nothing I have ever smelled which has the potential to be a good thing but unfortunately for Tova, it was not. To me the scent was very buggy and did not work well on me. I don't think I would call it a mature woman's scent. I am not quite sure how to label it other then it was offensive to my nose. The dry down got better and in about an hour it was acceptable but not good. That would be my current review on Tova and I understand fragrances are very personal and what one likes others may not.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by JanM

I was an avid fan of the original Tova Signature EDP and wore it for many years from about 1997 when I first started watching QVC in UK. I liked the simplicity of the bottle - slightly frosted glass bottle with a black top, and the perfume was fresh and light and close to the skin, a bit floral, a bit warm but with a citrusness which lifted it from the depths but a muskiness which prevented it from being cold.

I had all sorts of comments from the "oh you smell lovely" to the "I can smell kitchen cleaner" but I didn't care, I loved it, I sprayed it enthusiastically and with abandon.....then something happened, the packaging changed - always a bad sign in my opinion - there was a sourness and a wateryness, a "signature platinum" was introduced which just seemed to smell sweet to me. I moved on.

However Tova Signature EDP is back in as far as one can hope for in this age of changes to base ingredients. One has to be sure to buy the perfume with the gold top, but really it is pretty good and close to the original as I can remember it, bearing in mind that I last smelled the original original some 10 years ago....but as I said I have moved on and whilst I have this new/old/original Tova Signature it is one of several perfumes that I use and enjoy. I miss that first all consuming love though.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2013 5:14:00 PM More reviews by ashesofroses

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

TOVA has again relaunched her FINAL original TOVA that she claims is the original fragrance. The jury is still out. I ordered a bottle and can't decide. Part of the problem is if it truly is the original fragrance why didn't she put it back in the original bottle which we loved.

The fragrance is close but when I look at the "new and improved" design of the bottle something tells me it's just not quite the same. I want the original bottle and then maybe I would be convinced.

Go to QVC and read the reviews. Some customers thinks she has hit a home run while others think it is a flop. I'm still on the fence. Again, I think part of the problem is by not putting it back in the original bottle. The packaging is OK, but I want the original packaging and bottle and that is having a way of how I view the scent.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2011 4:42:00 AM More reviews by FLBeachGrl

I read on the QVC community board that due to poor sales, QVC has discontinued this fragrance. Well, they have no one to blame but themselves. At least we won't be duped into buying yet another Tova "version" that fails miserably to live up to the original and we'll save our money. Sad that this beauty is now gone forever. RIP Tova Signature. :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 6:26:00 AM More reviews by brownie_953

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a review of the latest incarnation of Tova Signature - in it's 'Platinum' form. I find it to be close to the Tova Signature original --harkening back to the pre-QVC buy-out of Tova's company. Having said that nothing will compare to those heady days of the original Tova Signature (made independently by Tova through her Beverly Hills Salon) - the square frosted bottle with the simple black plastic cap.

However with Tova Signature Platinum there is the simple, elegant and sensual basic notes of bergamot, jasmine, lavender, sandalwood and clear musk all at 32 % iessential oils n this eau de parfum form - far exceeding essential oil percentages of other fragrances in the eau de parfum category. What keeps me from giving Tova Signature Platinum a 5 Star rating is a powdery note that emerges in the middle-notes range, which is absent in the original.

The price of Tova Signature Platinum is quite affordable when it happens to be available on QVC. I just wish that QVC U.S. would bring in as much Tova products as QVC U.K. and QVC Germany seem to have had on their websites. Those two countries tend to carry a larger selection of Tova products including her costume jewelry!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2010 5:10:00 PM More reviews by nikkis1000

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I didn't think the last bottle I got was as good, or lasting, as a few years ago. I stuck it in back, and didn't try it again for over a year. Something magical happened! I can't tell any difference between this and what I was buying from Tova five or ten years ago. I knew some perfumes could change over time, but to go from dreck to very, very, good was a big fat surprise to me!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2010 5:13:00 PM More reviews by Luvmynails

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been a loyal user of the TOVA Signature for almost 18 years. The new reformulation isn't even close! I have read many, many reviews of the reformulation, and not too many like it. It smells almost watered down. It doesn't last at all.

I did some searching on the internet and discovered that some ingredients used in some of the higher end fragrances have now been banned.

It looks to me anyway, that TOVA must have had to reformulate and remove the "offensive" ingredients. (Apparently, these ingredients MIGHT cause skin irritation) So, put a warning on the label!!! Don't change all our favorite fragrances!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2009 4:35:00 AM More reviews by boombutt

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

my bottles are from before it was reformulated. no worries about offending anyone with this scent. i didnt get much sillage used on its own but when used over other perfumes it is wonderful.