Smashbox Bionic Mascara

2.6

on 5/13/2014 4:17:00 PM

I didn't mind this mascara. The brush was a very soft spool-style wand, very similar to a Fresh mascara wand that I used before. I did have minimal clumping towards the end of the mascara's life but I think that that's pretty normal. I liked that the mascara is fairly water-resistant but not waterproof. But I personally enjoy a formula that give my lashes some softness. So I would repurchase this, if it were a part of a set or gift with purchase or even if it were convenient. If I had a choice, I would probably choose Lancôme mascaras, until I find something better.

on 3/5/2013 12:50:00 PM

I have an interesting relationship with this mascara. I would repurchase it but it always leaves me dissatisfied. So this mascara is great for volume and it is decent for length. I think the brush is really good in that it gets to every little lash and it helps fan out the lashes without making them look too separated and spidery. The only qualm I have is that it leaves my lashes crunchy and stiff and it causes fall out. I wish they would make the formula a little wetter so that it did not dry out my lashes so much.

on 11/21/2012 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Really works well to separate your lashes. More for a natural look and can be applied again once dry without clumping.

on 11/15/2012 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Fortunately I didn't purchase this product. I received a deluxe sample of this mascara and I don't know it it was just a bad one or not all I know is that I HATED it! The formula itself was thick and flaky and the brush! Lord the brush! When I pulled the wand out the bristles were all lain down flat. I had to wait forever for the bristles to pop out in order to apply the damn stuff. The bristles never all came up and most of them just stayed down.

Again I don't know if I just got a bad one but I'm sure not willing to spend the money to buy one if that isn't the case.

on 5/31/2012 10:36:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Ugh...racoon eyes. This stuff is awful. It has no staying power and most of the product ended up on my under-eye area. As I mentioned in another review of Smashbox mascara, when I went to return this, the sales clerk told me she gets tons of returns on this mascara. I really like some other Smashbox products, like the Halo powder, and I was hoping this mascara would be of equal quality, but that's not the case. This purchase made me realize I just need to stick with my reliable standbys and stop experimenting with new brands. So my mascara motto is now "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

on 4/21/2012 9:05:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I received this mascara in a set as a gift from the dear MUAer Bexcini. I hate to diss a product that I've been given as a present, but dear God, it really is a dreadful mascara. I tried every which way to make it work. I would have gotten up early and cooked it eggs if it would have helped it do ANYTHING remotely approaching nice eyelashes. I pre-powdered my lashes, curled them, combed them, wiped the excess from the wand for each eye, waited for it to dry (which it never really did), even stopped applying it to the lower lashes to avoid the chronic smudging and every time I was rewarded with mediocre, slightly saggy-looking peepers and the worst raccoon eyes since Great Lash. In fact, I suspect Smashbox bought a vat of Great Lash and called it Bionic. The raccoon effect took less than an hour to start, which might be a personal best. Please, do not bother trying this, even if it is on sale. It is the mascara equivalent of expecting to sit down and watch 'Casablanca' only to discover that someone taped over it with 'Troll 2'.

on 10/31/2011 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Not sure I would buy this as there are so many mascaras out there and I have long lashes so I am debating if spending money on HE mascara is a total necessity or not. I got this in a deluxe sample and I do like it a lot. It doesn't clump on me at all...I do reach for this a lot and am very happy with it.

on 10/9/2011 7:02:00 PM

Out of the dozen mascaras I have, I like this as my top 4. It goes on smooth, easy to build upon, and does a good job for my lashes. I forgot to look for the color & got Indigo Ink (a deep mat blue) but it makes my lashes looking good, as if a soft black. So, not magical but good enough.

on 10/5/2011 3:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

it really plumps up the lashes but the formula is super waxy so clumpiness is unavoidable. Just have to be very careful because it can easily give you a spider look. The end result can pretty if you can get it right. I would give it a 3.5 because its not foolproof.

on 9/29/2011 11:48:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I am in the minority here - I like this mascara. To apply, I start with Dior Primer and let that dry. I than place a credit card behind my eye lashes and work the mascara straight up the lashes using the credit card as a barrier between my eye lid and lashes.. This seperates them wonderfully, helps to get to the root of the lash, and makes them look a million miles long. Works for me - no clumping, lots of volume.

Popular Mascaras