Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner

4.6

Hydrotreated Heavy Naphtha, Dichloroflourooethane, 1-Methoxy-2-Propanol, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparabenn, N-Butylparaben, Fragrance, D&C Green #6

Background: I purchased this product because I needed an alternative to Isocol (the smell makes me feel really sick!) for cleaning and sanitising makeup brushes.

How I use it:
I mainly use this brush cleaner after I've applied liquid or cream products using very small brushes (e.g. eyeliner, angled brow, lip).
1. I pour a small amount of brush cleaner into the mixing tray that came with my Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow.
2. I swirl the brush around in the liquid until I can see that most of the product has come off.
3. I wipe the brush clean on a cotton pad.

PROS:
* It works! This cleaner removes very long-lasting makeup (e.g. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream, Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist lipstick, Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade, etc.) without breaking a sweat.
* It doesn't smell terrible. I don't particularly like the scent but in my opinion, it's way better than all the alcohol-based brush cleaners.
* Not too expensive given the quality and the fact that you don't need much. I paid AUD $19.95 for 4oz. and $39.00 for 8oz. (plus shipping) on Makeup & Glow.

CONS:
* The packaging. I find it difficult to pour out a small amount without it dripping down the side of the bottle, so I accidentally waste it.

on 1/10/2015 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Great brush cleaner! I use mine as a spot cleaner between washes. I put mine in a spray bottle, spritz my brushes with it, and wipe on a towel. It gets out most everything, even from white brushes. It does have a pretty weird smell that I could see bothering some people. It sort of smells like varnish or paint thinner, with the addition of vanilla. It's not really pleasant, but it gets my brushes so clean that I will continue to use it.

on 7/2/2014 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this product in TV/Film makeup school and it was awesome for cleaning brushes. You do still need to deep clean your brushes with soap and water, but this stuff is good for getting the bulk of product out of the brushes.

I haven't used too many other brush cleansers, but out of the ones I have tried this is the best and the most affordable. In school we poured the product into a small jar and cleaned the brushes in the cleansing solution directly. We dipped the brush in and swirled it against the container. Then brushes off excess onto a paper towel. We repeated this until the brush was sufficiently cleansed. The only downsize was the bottle was HUGE and it was hard to find places to put it and the cleanser is not quick drying. It would take forever for larger brushes to completely dry out, but I think that really isn't a big deal for people cleansing their own personal collection of brushes.

I haven't used this in years because I am only washing my own personal brushes and I just give them a nice cleansing with baby shampoo and water. I should buy some of this stuff because I"m pretty awful at cleaning my brushes like I should. Currently they are in a pretty disgusting state....I'm pretty awful. I know. Maybe I will clean them up tonight and get myself a bottle of this stuff in the near future! :)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Continue* I depot the liquid into three different spray bottle, only one doesn't get stuck, so I guess the liquid is too sticky to spray out, I wish they can change the formula a bit, cause I waist so much product from the spray

on 11/23/2013 5:09:00 PM

This has got to be one of the best brush cleansers out there. Before this I have used MAC, Sephora brand, and Beauty Blender cleanser for my brushes. I wear long-wearing, full coverage foundation and concealer because of my skin. These are the types of foundation that are hard to remove from your brushes. I also use sigma brushes (face kabuki), and sephora brand brushes that are dense and hard to remove makeup. I would have to use an oil-rinse cleanser like MAC cleanse off oil on my brushes just to make removing foundation from my brushes and then follow up with the cleanser to clean my brushes. I am very strict on getting my brushes clean because I have acne prone skin. I got lazy in cleaning my brushes often so I'd just buy more face brushes which is expensive and wasteful. ALL THAT HAS CHANGED. Thanks to CINEMA SECRETS!
I bought the small version of this to test it. It literally makes washing your brushes easy! Everything comes off using this. With the spray bottle I can spray the cleanser on a cakey, cream-based foundation on a sigma F80 or sephora #56 and watch the foundation melt off the brush just through spraying the stuff on! No hassle at all! This is very good for keeping brushes clean daily through spot cleaning. For deep cleaning I will pour some of it in a container and dip my brush in and rinse it off and it work very well. This does have a vanilla scent to it but it smells almost chemically, but I don't mind it. The brushes dry clean and not dried out. The price also is a lot cheaper for what you get compared to Mac or Sephora brand. I am going to repurchase the largest size of this that I can get.

on 11/17/2013 8:47:00 PM

I said I would purchase again, but BEWARE, despite the claim that this product will not harm brushes, I had two of them have the bristles come out of their handle. My Real Techniques fluffy blush brush and one of my el cheapo ELF eyeshadow brushes came out. I managed to get my Real Techniques brush back into the handle, but my ELF brush needed to go into the garbage can. Glad it can be replaced for only a dollar. It does quickly remove the makeup from the brushes, but heed the instructions to only wet the bottom of larger brushes or you will find yourself with a handful of bristles.

on 4/18/2013 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I bought a couple of these in the spray bottle and holy crap! This stuff works AMAZINGLY. However, the smell, although some people say it's vanilla, is not vanilla. It's pretty nasty. Use it in a well ventilated area. But I don't care because I love how it cleans my brushes. Make sure you get it in the spray bottle packaging because I think using it to soak brushes in is a waste if a bunch of product.

on 3/22/2013 7:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I bought some today. It left a blue hue on the white of my skunk brushes. Not sure if its because they are Sigma and not MAC. Has anyone else had this problem? Will it fade in time or should I wash out with shampoo?

on 3/16/2013 7:38:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Bought this stuff from Camera Ready Cosmetics, well it's every bit as fantastic as the other reviewers say it is! This stuff cuts through foundation, gel eyeliner and cream-based products like no other! Love the turpentine scent infused with vanilla. So what I do is pour a little of the cleaner into a bowl, and then dip and swirl each of my brushes in, then dry off with a paper towel. I tend to start with my eye brushes first. It works so effectively on both synthetic and natural hair brushes, and dries ultra-fast. I have the 8oz bottle but I wish I bought the 32 oz bottle because I can see myself going through it quite quickly. Other than that, definitely believe the hype!

on 2/19/2013 9:11:00 PM

It's fantastic. That's all you need to know.

Popular Makeup Brushes