Cinema Secrets Professional Brush Cleaner

Hydrotreated Heavy Naphtha, Dichloroflourooethane, 1-Methoxy-2-Propanol, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparabenn, N-Butylparaben, Fragrance, D&C Green #6

on 10/2/2015 8:24:00 PM

By far the best brush cleanser I've ever tried. And I've tried many as my extensive brush collection required me to (150+) brushes. Dissolves all the makeup powder or liquid off brushes in a snap and evaporates off the brushes super fast leaving them crispy clean n dry with a wonderful scent.

on 10/1/2015 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've bought this countless times and have gone through gallons of it. I used to wait until I was in Burbank and bought directly from the pro makeup store, but now Sephora carries it, which is more convenient for me.

I've tried several brush cleaners over the years and this is my favorite for really dissolving all the gunk fast. Some people soak the brushes in this, and you can, but these days I'm only doing makeup on myself, so I prefer to use a tin and just pour enough to cover the bristles and swish, then I squeeze it out over a sink and you see all the makeup and oil come off the brush which is really satisfying if you hate dirty brushes as much as I do. Then I give the brush a rinse in water. Some people don't; I do because I don't want all my white bristled brushes to be stained blue. I wrap a terry washcloth or small towel around the bristles and squeeze to get the water out. I don't use my favorite towels to do this, as makeup will inevitably stain them. Once that's done, and the brush is clean, I lay it flat to dry or use one of those trees that allows you to hang the brush upside down like a bat. This prevents water from collecting inside the ferrule (metal crimp around the bristles) and loosening the glue. Taking this precaution reduces shedding. That's my preferred method of using this cleaner. I'm sure other people use it differently, and have opinions about the best way to do it, and to critics, each his own. I've been doing it this way for years and my brushes are in very good condition.

It has a few ingredients I should mention as they may increase or decrease your desire to buy the product: It has vanilla extract in it, which I happen to like, but not everyone will want the vanilla fragrance. The cleaner is tinted blue. If you are avoiding dye, it contains D&C green #6. It also contains parabens, however; this product is meant to clean the brush and be rinsed off, so I am much more dubious of foundations and powders with parabens because they sit on the skin all day. This product isn't supposed to. But if you are avoiding parabens at all costs, Sephora's house brand offers The Natural Citrus Brush Cleaner in a 4-ounce spray for $11.50.

Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner comes in several sizes. The smallest is a 2-ounce travel spray for $8. This is a good way to test it to see if you like it, and the spray means you don't need to use a tin, if you don't want to. I usually buy a large size (because I know I'll use it all), $36 for 32 ounces.

on 9/15/2015 9:07:00 AM

It's a really effective brush cleaner and gets your brushes clean quickly. My only tiny issue was sometimes it was difficult to get out of my brushes. After I would wipe the brush clean I thought I had removed most of the cleanser as well but my brush would dry blue and stiff. I mainly had this problem with stippling brushes and really dense kabuki brushes. Otherwise, great cleanser.

on 8/6/2015 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Really good brush cleanser especially for spot cleaning has slight vanilla scent but not too over whelming

Background: I purchased this product because I needed an alternative to Isocol (the smell makes me feel really sick!) for cleaning and sanitising makeup brushes.

How I use it:
I mainly use this brush cleaner after I've applied liquid or cream products using very small brushes (e.g. eyeliner, angled brow, lip).
1. I pour a small amount of brush cleaner into the mixing tray that came with my Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadow.
2. I swirl the brush around in the liquid until I can see that most of the product has come off.
3. I wipe the brush clean on a cotton pad.

* It works! This cleaner removes very long-lasting makeup (e.g. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream, Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist lipstick, Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade, etc.) without breaking a sweat.
* It doesn't smell terrible. I don't particularly like the scent but in my opinion, it's way better than all the alcohol-based brush cleaners.
* Not too expensive given the quality and the fact that you don't need much. I paid AUD $19.95 for 4oz. and $39.00 for 8oz. (plus shipping) on Makeup & Glow.

* The packaging. I find it difficult to pour out a small amount without it dripping down the side of the bottle, so I accidentally waste it.

on 1/10/2015 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Great brush cleaner! I use mine as a spot cleaner between washes. I put mine in a spray bottle, spritz my brushes with it, and wipe on a towel. It gets out most everything, even from white brushes. It does have a pretty weird smell that I could see bothering some people. It sort of smells like varnish or paint thinner, with the addition of vanilla. It's not really pleasant, but it gets my brushes so clean that I will continue to use it.

on 7/2/2014 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used this product in TV/Film makeup school and it was awesome for cleaning brushes. You do still need to deep clean your brushes with soap and water, but this stuff is good for getting the bulk of product out of the brushes.

I haven't used too many other brush cleansers, but out of the ones I have tried this is the best and the most affordable. In school we poured the product into a small jar and cleaned the brushes in the cleansing solution directly. We dipped the brush in and swirled it against the container. Then brushes off excess onto a paper towel. We repeated this until the brush was sufficiently cleansed. The only downsize was the bottle was HUGE and it was hard to find places to put it and the cleanser is not quick drying. It would take forever for larger brushes to completely dry out, but I think that really isn't a big deal for people cleansing their own personal collection of brushes.

I haven't used this in years because I am only washing my own personal brushes and I just give them a nice cleansing with baby shampoo and water. I should buy some of this stuff because I"m pretty awful at cleaning my brushes like I should. Currently they are in a pretty disgusting state....I'm pretty awful. I know. Maybe I will clean them up tonight and get myself a bottle of this stuff in the near future! :)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Continue* I depot the liquid into three different spray bottle, only one doesn't get stuck, so I guess the liquid is too sticky to spray out, I wish they can change the formula a bit, cause I waist so much product from the spray

on 11/23/2013 5:09:00 PM

This has got to be one of the best brush cleansers out there. Before this I have used MAC, Sephora brand, and Beauty Blender cleanser for my brushes. I wear long-wearing, full coverage foundation and concealer because of my skin. These are the types of foundation that are hard to remove from your brushes. I also use sigma brushes (face kabuki), and sephora brand brushes that are dense and hard to remove makeup. I would have to use an oil-rinse cleanser like MAC cleanse off oil on my brushes just to make removing foundation from my brushes and then follow up with the cleanser to clean my brushes. I am very strict on getting my brushes clean because I have acne prone skin. I got lazy in cleaning my brushes often so I'd just buy more face brushes which is expensive and wasteful. ALL THAT HAS CHANGED. Thanks to CINEMA SECRETS!
I bought the small version of this to test it. It literally makes washing your brushes easy! Everything comes off using this. With the spray bottle I can spray the cleanser on a cakey, cream-based foundation on a sigma F80 or sephora #56 and watch the foundation melt off the brush just through spraying the stuff on! No hassle at all! This is very good for keeping brushes clean daily through spot cleaning. For deep cleaning I will pour some of it in a container and dip my brush in and rinse it off and it work very well. This does have a vanilla scent to it but it smells almost chemically, but I don't mind it. The brushes dry clean and not dried out. The price also is a lot cheaper for what you get compared to Mac or Sephora brand. I am going to repurchase the largest size of this that I can get.

on 11/17/2013 8:47:00 PM

I said I would purchase again, but BEWARE, despite the claim that this product will not harm brushes, I had two of them have the bristles come out of their handle. My Real Techniques fluffy blush brush and one of my el cheapo ELF eyeshadow brushes came out. I managed to get my Real Techniques brush back into the handle, but my ELF brush needed to go into the garbage can. Glad it can be replaced for only a dollar. It does quickly remove the makeup from the brushes, but heed the instructions to only wet the bottom of larger brushes or you will find yourself with a handful of bristles.

Popular Makeup Brushes