October 1, 2014 | 1439 users online

Palettes - Cargo - The blu_ray Collection

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 10:12:00 AM More reviews by pupster

Purchased the blush/highlighter and the lipgloss set separately, Sephora was out of the set when I ordered.

The blush/highlighter is really more highlighter than blush and hardly shows up on my medium skintone. It is also quite messy to apply as the powder is very finely milled. You do get a lot of product for the price unlike the lip gloss palette.

The lip gloss is a nice texture like all Cargo's lipglosses (I am a fan of these) and they do seem to have a reasonable amount of staying power for gloss. However, I have to vent about the miniscule amount you actually get of each color, for almost $30 this is a total ripoff. The colors are nothing special either, IMO, Clinique's superbalm lip gloss has more staying power.

Reviewers have commented on how the compacts look alike and it's hard to tell which is which without reading the bottom labels. This why I took off 1 lippie for packaging, but I solved the problem by using stickers on top of each compact.

Can't comment on how they look on high def film since I can't say I'm photographed or on TV ever:)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2008 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Kaycee36

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a makeup artist and I purchased this product to use for talent on television. I happen to be in a "mood" when I was visiting Sephora, and I learned about this new product for HD. Since I'm working with lot's of TV stations, I thought this would be a good product to try. This was a great purchase!!!. Everytime I put this product on talent, and they appear on televison, they are happy with the results. No matter the skin color,( I have tried it on all races). You can use lightly and the results are a great "glowy" appearance. The powder,blush, primer are the stars!!! Will repurchase for my kit when I run out! I recommend this product for anyone appearing on HD Television.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2008 3:24:00 PM More reviews by anooshka

Great Value. And I love almost all of the products in this. I do not care much for the primer, since I'm terrified of the silicones in this clogging my pores and I generally hate Cargo lip glosses. The mascara, blush, and powder are lovely. I don't love how the blush, powder and glosses are in identical packages without even a couple of words about what's inside of them- So you have to pick them up and actually look underneath for the label or open them up. I know that's not a big deal but it is very annoying.
I'm generally a very anti-powder/foundation person. I spot treat with concealer if I need to (that's not to say my skin is in the least bit flawless, I just can't handle the feeling of crap on my skin) and I still really enjoy the powder in this kit. I don't wear it every day, but I will be if I'm going out or feel I may get photographed. I use the Bourgious Kabuki (Bronzer) brush to buff the powder on very lightly and the blush on top with my MAC 187 or the B Kabuki. It gives a gorgeous flawless, almost airbrushed look. Even my bf who hates it when I wear make-up commented that my skin looked flawless.
The mascara is also awesome. I love them all.
As for re-purchasing, I'd most likely rebuy the powder and possibly the blush and mascara too.
(I hardly ever find a powder I love, so I'm going to stick to this, and I'm just too fickle to stay with the same blush and mascara for long.)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2008 6:20:00 AM More reviews by k_heart2004

I also got the set of the Blu_ray Collection but i'm only reviewing the make-up powder and blush on 'coz i have yet to use the 3 other products.

Make-up Powder - I'm MAC C3/NC30 and thankfully the shade of this powder is a perfect match for me. My skin looks real nice and other people have complimented me for that, : )!

Blush on- It looks super light on the pan. It's peachy-rosey pink but more on the rosey-pink side. Surprisingly, it's a different matter on the cheeks 'coz it gives a real wallop of color and it's not light-colored on the cheeks. It's a nice peachy rosey-pink and i'm now using a light hand on applying 'coz it's super pigmented. Staying power is also long.

I will definitely buy again.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/19/2008 7:08:00 AM More reviews by JayCollins

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have never reviewed makeup before, but I am so disappointed in this product that I just had to share with someone! This "high definition" makeup is great for Oompa Loompas, not for regular people. The one color that is offered does not match my skin tone at all, it makes me look like I have the flu. The mattifier is completely ineffective - I was shiny by 12:00. The powder, which WAS sold to me as a foundation, was gone by 1:00. I had people tell me, with a smirk, that they could tell I got new makeup. Humiliating. And the mascara flaked everywhere, by the end of the day I had bits of it in my eyes, on my clothes, everywhere. I'm so annoyed with the salespeople at Sephora for pushing this garbage on me. I spent $60!!! That might not seem like a lot to others, but as a working Mom, that was a huge sacrifice for me. This was going to be my big "New Job Interview" makeup kit that helped increase my confidence, and it has done exactly the opposite. I will never shop at Sephora again...I'm going to stay with Rite Aid and Target where mistakes aren't quite so expensive and disappointing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2008 8:44:00 PM More reviews by evakser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This review is also for the set.
I grappled with buying this, as I already have a mascara I like, and blushes I like and glosses, etc, but I'm quickly turning into a makeup addict. I decided I wanted to try the pressed powder, as I didn't have one, and was thinking about getting MAC, but I saw this set, and the rave reviews, so I got a set. Love this! I never bought anything by CARGO before, but I love this set! Comes with Pressed powder, Mascara, Blush, Compact of 4 Lipglosses, and Mattifying Primer. The only thing I have not tried yet is the primer. Will update this post with my opinion of it...
Pressed Powder:
I agree that one size does not fit all in terms of colors. More shades would be nice. With that said, I got lucky. I am NC20 and the color looks fine on me. My skin looks flawless with this on. Very nice powder in a nice compact. I only wish it came with a sponge, but I don't mind using my own brush or sponge. Overall, wonderful pressed powder. Great quality.
Mascara:
I've been using Diorshow mascara lately, and have been liking it, but tried this one today, and I like it a lot. Probably as much, if not more than my Diorshow. That's saying a lot!
The brush is odd, looks like a comb, and I don't know if I applied it correctly, but my I used the comb side, and my lashes were defined and lengthened beautifully. I was shocked actually! I didn't expect much and it went on great! Not a single clump! So far, I've worn it for about 4 hours, and not a single flake or smudge. And I have a problem with one of my eyes tearing up often (allergies, I think) and even with the eye tearing up and constant wiping, there is no smudging and no sign of the dreaded "Raccoon Eye". Very impressed!
Blush:
Very soft, fine milled, pretty pink color, somewhere between baby pink and dusty pink. Did not detect pepto bismol color! But it is very finely milled so a little goes a long way, do not put on too much or you can look like a clown. Build up the color gradually... It's a flattering, pretty color for many skintones. Nice compact. No brush, but I always use my own anyway.
Lipglosses:
Minty (reminiscent of mint dental floss), a bit thin, but feels hydrating and not waxy, or sticky - I hate sticky glosses. Colors are pretty - all have a bit of shimmer. Colors are
sheer plummy brown, sheer baby pink (looks a lot like NARS Turkish Delight), sheer rosy-peach, and sheer creamy - beige. colors can be mixed together and supposedly have plumping properties... Tingles slightly on the lips. Not as much as most of the plumping glosses, but a little.
Mattifying Primer: I have not tried this yet. Will update soon!
Overall thoughts- This is a great set for the price. It is def a bargain. I may get another set as this is LE and it's totally worth the money - individually it's much more expensive. At under $12 per item, it's a great deal for fantastic quality products!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2008 3:16:00 PM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So Cargo Blu Ray was a hit and miss for me. I really only wanted the blush/highligher but they were sold out of it so I got the set since I really like the gloss quad.

The one-shade-fits-all foundation powder does not work! I am an NC 30 and it definitely had an orangey hint to it on my skin. Secondly, I checked it out in different lighting (indoor, natural, flourescent) and I doesn't do anything different from other powder foundations. Actually, because the color is off on me, the finish wasn't anywhere as nice as my Glominerals of Stila IPF (love both of those).

The blush and glosses are beautiful. The blush reminds me of a non-shimmery version of NARS Orgasm with a little more pink to it.

The mattifier is nice enough. I love my MUFE primer and don't see this replacing it.

The mascara was okay. I used it w/ Shiseido base. But, at the end of the day I had the beginning raccoon eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2008 11:52:00 AM More reviews by tasha1977

I was such a skeptic!!!!! Very gimmicky concept....and yet...its awesome! I could live without the primer and lip glosses, but the powder, blush/highlighter and mascara I will definitely repurchase! Briefly...The powder is perfect for me but I could see it being too dark or yellow for others. Its very natural and seems to do a great job of covering. The blush/highlighter is the star of the collection as far as I'm concerned! BEAUTIFUL! I thought it would be way too light for me (orgasm barely shows up on me) but it is super finely milled and shows up great even while being hard to overdo!
Very glowy and NOT at all sparkley! The mascara is great for building volume but not so much length. Formula is good (stays put w/ no flaking) and the little comb is great if you know how to use it! The primer did nothing for me and the lip glosses are pretty but I'm not really a lip gloss girl. The collection price is incredible! I say get it while they are still offering this kind of deal!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2008 1:10:00 PM More reviews by RedPoint

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Like all the reviwers before me have pointed out this palette is a pretty good bargain and the "Hi-definition" thing sounds tempting, so, after reading some raving reviews I bouht it. However, I am not as impressed as some here. If I could I would give it 3,5 lippes( the 0,5 lippy is for its bargain value)

The palette consists of 5 Blu-ray products: a mascara, a mattifying primer, a compact powder, a blush/hightlighter and a lipgloss palette of 4 colors.

I'll start with the primer. It's an unattracted meshed carrot color when I squeeze it out of the tube, but upon a sheer application it becomes transparent. It's just like a very average silicon based primer, nothing more than thousands other silicon based primers out there. I also find its shine control power mediocre( even in Winter!). I also don't like the fact that it can't adjust the skintone like some primers do. Actually, becuase the unattractive tint it has, you really need to apply it very sheer otherwise it's tint will show on your skin.

As for the powder compact: I don't get this "universal shade" thing as it's definately NOT a universal shade. It looks pale beige( = quite ok for me) in the pan but much to my surprise, it applied much yellower and darker. I am fair-medium and reall have difficulty to pull this color off. I have to apply it super sheer, even that it's still considerablely darker than my skintone. Its coverage is very sheer, and I don't see it "blurs" my skin imperfections. It also dries up my skin after some hours. I think this might be better if I use it as a finishing powder( after foundation) rather than a compact foundation. I might try to use it in the summer when I am tanned.

The Blush( it's too pink for me to use as a highlighter), like everyone here seems to agree, is the best thing of this collection. It looks light pink with glod pearls in the pan but on the face it looks like a much pinkier version of Orgasm minus the shimmer---therefore much more flattering than Orgasm on me. It's also quite finely milled and easy to blend. I really love this blush, actually, it is the only item in this collection I will consider repurchase .

The l/g palette is nice but average. It's not sticky at all, very creamy to apply, has decent staying power, and has a pleasant minty smell. When I apply it I feel a nice cool sensation but frankly I don't see it plump up my lips or smooth over liplines much. Moreover, I feel the four colors( a wine, a rose, a peachy-pink and a toffee beige) in this l/g palette is a bit too common for its own good. I mean, most people already have those colors in their l/g stash. It make this palette seem redundant. The two lighter colors in this palette are too sheer to have a decent color payoff when I apply it.

I didn't try the mascara yet and will update it later.

So my overall impression of Cargo's "Blu-ray collection" is that abeit being a fairly useable collection, there are very few must-haves in it. You might feel your money better spent if you only get the blu-ray blush and buy yourself a nice compact powder somewhere else.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2008 6:29:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I was pretty intrigued by this one like LeslieCZ and like Leslie I have to give it a thumbs down for my personal needs. It was created to be worn for hi def TV filming, with light reflecting particles etc...to look completely natural and flattering on. First of all, it it works for you, it is a fantastic value for what you are getting, 5 items in all for $59. You can't beat the price. As far as the items themselves, I was pretty unimpressed by most. The pressed powder was way too yellow and too dark for me as an NW15-20. There is no way I could ever pass this off as blending into my skin naturally. It also was not a flattering finish for my mature dry skin. It seemed to bring out things that are there but not visible to the naked eye like pores on my cheeks and some saggy skin that I never even knew I had. Once again, my feelings about Caron powder have been validated after trying yet another face powder on the market. Caron is still unparalleled for finish and quality. The blush is a beautiful color. A perky pink with fine gold shimmer. Kind of like a pinker version of orgasm but a better texture and better pigment. But even this blush which I loved seems to make my cheeks look rough, it sunk into my pores. I found this to be really odd because the texture of this blush is so silky, it's not all all chalky so I have no idea why it is doing this, perhaps it's the fine shimmer. If you knew me you would be just as shocked as I am at this because my skin is not at all texturally problematic. I think it must be that the dryness was really accentuated by these products. The primer was an ordinary silicone primer, nothing really special there. The lip glosses are quite nice, nice colors and texture, slight minty taste. The mascara seemed great at first but then, after it had dried, it drooped at the tips. The length I got was lost because my lash tips got bendy after drying. This was only after two coats. Also, the blush, mascara and pressed powder are scented so if you are sensitive to odors coming from your mascara or powder, beware. It's not a strong or unpleasant scent but nonetheless it is most definitely there. To sum this up, if you have dry or very dry mature skin I do not think these products are meant for you. Ironically, this is the absolute last look I would want to wear if I was on hi definition television. It aged me by about 15 years. EDIT: Many people seem to not understand that the reviews here are based on a persons PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with a product and are strangely angry with me for writing this review. I have stated that this is not suited for my PERSONAL needs in the beginning of my review. I stated my coloring, age and skin type to help those of you reading this, which is something that many here forget to do when writing reviews. As far as me being "wrong" here, uh, no, I am not hallucinating as to what this did to my skin and appearance. I could lie to you and tell you it was the best thing since running water but I will not. It was unflattering and did the opposite of what it claimed it would do. Maybe I should have added the words "your milage may vary" to calm down some folks that seem to be so highly invested in this stuff. If it works for you, great, I'm happy for you but for me it was a total disaster and I though reporting different experiences and opinions were welcome and encouraged here. 'Nuff said.

20 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No