December 20, 2014 | 1555 users online

Treatments (Face) - Clean & Clear - Persagel 5% Benzoyl Peroxide

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by ara2991

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My HG acne treatment. I have really oily skin + buttloads of schoolwork + not a lot of sleep+ I eat bad foods+ I'm cramming for tests and exams+ lots of stress has led me to the worst condition my skin could be. I was upset when I woke up one morning to find my skin was filled with tons of whiteheads. I remember reading in chemistry class that benzoyl peroxide was a bacteria-killing compound, so I decided to do some research. Turns out, it's one of the two main compounds people use to fight acne. I asked my dear mother to go to the store and get me 0.5% benzoyl peroxide. She got me 5% instead. I put this on either way, and my whiteheads disappeared under an hour. It was crazy. I put my hand and tried to feel my forehead. The bumps were dramatically reduced. I was convinced this was a gift given from the deities above. This is such a good product; I'll repurchase it after it's used up.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2014 9:17:00 AM More reviews by vforvina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

**A MUST-HAVE** I broke out with hormonal acne all of a sudden and I tried everything possible to get rid of the spots. I watched a YouTube video about a young girl who used this religiously and her acne disappeared. So I gave it a try, after cleansing my face I would put this only on areas with acne and wait for it to dry. After that I'd put my moisturizer on, I think it's key to put moisturizer on after using this product. My pimples started drying out and disappearing (this does not happen over night but don't give up on it). This has been the main thing that helped me on my journey to clearer skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2014 3:02:00 PM More reviews by diepset1

I've been using this for years now. If there's one thing I always depend on to control my acne, it's this miracle in a tube here. If I have a huge zit on my face, it doesn't do much to get rid of it though, so I use a sulfur for huge problems. This product is more for acne prevention than anything and the formula is not irritating or expensive. The use of it might cause sensitivity to the sun, so don't forget the SPF ladies! The product doesn't have a smell and it's a white cream. If you put too much of it in your face, you run the risk of bleaching your pillows, so try not to put too much on at a time like my sister. My pillows, on the other hand, are unharmed!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2014 1:34:00 PM More reviews by milancablanca

Great product and really works even for moderate-severe skin problems. If you are looking for quick results-get this! Results after one use. And it isn't too irritating on your skin too.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by tayaferriss

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I don't have horrible skin but lately I've been getting a lot of bumps on my forehead and beside my nose as well as a few pimples, my skin was the worst that I had seen it in a long time! I heard a few youtubers raving about this and I usually stick to salicylic acid treatments(that never really worked) but I had never actually tried anything with benzoyl peroxide in it so I decided to give it a go, I'VE NEVER SEEN MY SKIN SO CLEAR! My bumps aren't 100% gone but I've only been using this for a few days and you can barely tell that they're there. I highly recommend this product!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/22/2014 9:07:00 PM More reviews by PaintingSumsets

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

A while back I had been eyeing this product for a long time, and I'd expected it to be the solution to the end of my breakouts. And when Walmart had it on sale for $5.95CAD, I just had to snatch it off the shelves and call it mine!

I bought this in December, so I've had this little tube for about 4 months. What a let-down! I imagined my pimples/papules to miraculously vanish overnight by covering them with this white, gel-consistency stuff, but instead I was given a slightly reduced size of my breakouts and the teeniest reduction of redness. When I feel a pimple that's about to pop up, I cover it with this spot treatment but it nevertheless still comes up to the surface, granted a little smaller than what it would've turned out on its own. It dries white with a pasty texture if you put a lot, but you could put a tiny bit on your spots and blend it in (it's super-blendable) if you want to put makeup on.

What I'm trying to say is - I would do fine without this. It did not wow me, but the price point at which I bought it for is forgivable. After four months of experimentation, I still have 1/3-1/4 left - there's quite a lot of product even after using generous quantities nightly.

My advice? I didn't have much luck with it, so stay away because it's not going to do much for you.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by hannahps

Before I tried this, I'd tried the Clearasil sulfur resorcinol and the Clean & Clear salicylic acid. Benzoyl peroxide works a lot faster and more efficiently! I normally have pretty clear skin with a few breakouts now and then, and this gets rid of them in only a couple of days. I wear it overnight just dotted on any pimples and during the day under my makeup. It can turn white and powdery looking once it dries, but this can be avoided by putting on a light layer instead of a heavier one.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by Roaringtempest

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

A Decent Product, but not the Best!

The worst breakout I've had since highschool prompted me to try Dan Kern's Regimen, which simply consists of gentle cleansing, 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide application, and moisturizer.

So if you read that fully, you'll see my first mistake- Persagel comes only in 5% or 10%. I know, I know, but it was all that the store had at the time and I was desperate! It was a huge mistake. My skin was very, very sensitive to the BP. I know everyone has rough side effects (no pun intended), but my skin went from oily/combination to bone dry desert in a day! Application of BP burned like heck, so much so that I'd pace around in discomfort with a chilled water bottle against my face!

I only used Persagel for a week. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible, since it was my mistake that I got a higher concentration and I know it's why my side effects were so bad. I began only using it once a day, at night. I will say that Persagel DID clear my acne very quickly, and my skin was on the way to recovery but the side-effects were too great for me. I switched to 2.5% BP, like I should have been using.

So far 2.5 doesn't sting nearly as much. I;ll be writing a constantly updated review of the product, Benzagel Spot On Treatment, as I continue the Regimen.

In short/TLDR:

-Persagel works very well, but is very harsh on your skin. Strong results, strong side-effects!
-I'd suggest either starting with 2.5% and working up to 5% (if necessary) or if you have to, only apply persagel once a day or every other day.
-Packaging was fine for me.
-Price was very reasonable- $6.49 at my Target.

3/5 lippies. Not a bad product, just not for me. Others seem to like it, so.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 12:58:00 AM More reviews by sophiexoxo

WOW! I used to have really bad acne and got prescribed a cream called Clindoxyl that cleared it out until recently, where my skin was too used to it and i started breaking out again. I grabbed this at Shoppers Drugmart and I've only gotten one blemish since, when i was PMSing! I apply a thin layer to my acne-prone areas before bed, after i cleanse, apply toner and moisturize. I wake up - or even a couple hours later- with no redness, and anything that was about to breakout is gone. I have since thrown out my prescription cream and will be sticking with this! Buy it!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2014 2:45:00 AM More reviews by bluna11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm in the middle of an allergic reaction to this product. Test it on you skin before hand or you will end up with a red rash looking breakout on the application site, not pretty.