April 20, 2014 | 1761 users online

Treatments - Clean & Clear - Persagel 5% Benzoyl Peroxide

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by hannahps

Before I tried this, I'd tried the Clearasil sulfur resorcinol and the Clean & Clear salicylic acid. Benzoyl peroxide works a lot faster and more efficiently! I normally have pretty clear skin with a few breakouts now and then, and this gets rid of them in only a couple of days. I wear it overnight just dotted on any pimples and during the day under my makeup. It can turn white and powdery looking once it dries, but this can be avoided by putting on a light layer instead of a heavier one.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by Elaine1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

the most powerful otc acne cream available!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by Roaringtempest

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

A Decent Product, but not the Best!

The worst breakout I've had since highschool prompted me to try Dan Kern's Regimen, which simply consists of gentle cleansing, 2.5% Benzoyl peroxide application, and moisturizer.

So if you read that fully, you'll see my first mistake- Persagel comes only in 5% or 10%. I know, I know, but it was all that the store had at the time and I was desperate! It was a huge mistake. My skin was very, very sensitive to the BP. I know everyone has rough side effects (no pun intended), but my skin went from oily/combination to bone dry desert in a day! Application of BP burned like heck, so much so that I'd pace around in discomfort with a chilled water bottle against my face!

I only used Persagel for a week. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible, since it was my mistake that I got a higher concentration and I know it's why my side effects were so bad. I began only using it once a day, at night. I will say that Persagel DID clear my acne very quickly, and my skin was on the way to recovery but the side-effects were too great for me. I switched to 2.5% BP, like I should have been using.

So far 2.5 doesn't sting nearly as much. I;ll be writing a constantly updated review of the product, Benzagel Spot On Treatment, as I continue the Regimen.

In short/TLDR:

-Persagel works very well, but is very harsh on your skin. Strong results, strong side-effects!
-I'd suggest either starting with 2.5% and working up to 5% (if necessary) or if you have to, only apply persagel once a day or every other day.
-Packaging was fine for me.
-Price was very reasonable- $6.49 at my Target.

3/5 lippies. Not a bad product, just not for me. Others seem to like it, so.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 12:58:00 AM More reviews by sophiexoxo

WOW! I used to have really bad acne and got prescribed a cream called Clindoxyl that cleared it out until recently, where my skin was too used to it and i started breaking out again. I grabbed this at Shoppers Drugmart and I've only gotten one blemish since, when i was PMSing! I apply a thin layer to my acne-prone areas before bed, after i cleanse, apply toner and moisturize. I wake up - or even a couple hours later- with no redness, and anything that was about to breakout is gone. I have since thrown out my prescription cream and will be sticking with this! Buy it!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/17/2014 2:45:00 AM More reviews by bluna11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm in the middle of an allergic reaction to this product. Test it on you skin before hand or you will end up with a red rash looking breakout on the application site, not pretty.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 4:10:00 PM More reviews by PaintingSumsets

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this last week and all I've got to say is: LOVE LOVE LOVE! I apply a little dot of this on my big pimple after my cleanser, toner, and moisturizer. I'm oily on my t-zone, and this would dry up into a pasty white if you apply a lot, but it kept my skin moisturized! I mean, how wonderful is that??? My acne is basically all irritated and red after cleansing and toning, but using this kind of calms my pimples while treating them. My pimples look way smaller by the next day. This is the substitute for Persa-Gel 10 in Canada, but if the 10% becomes available, I'll be grabbing off the shelf. Note: don't apply this in the morning if you're going out, because when this dries up it looks kind of chalky. Overall, you should DEFFO check this out! Hope this helped! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Camilascarlett

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I think this is absolutely wonderful. I have been using this product for over a year now and have to say it truly is great for a quick fix. OF COURSE it is drying, like any other peroxide, but that is quickly remedied after you've washed it off with any good moisturizer.

I wouldn't even say this works over night, I would say it works of 2-3 hours. My pimples are EXTREMELY noticeably less irritated, their redness almost entirely diminished, and it makes whiteheads almost invisible.

If you are going to spend a day in bed, I would recommend wearing it and reapplying at least twice during the day, and then wearing a moisturizing night cream when you go to bed. You'll wake un soft and unspotted!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by puffle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

No. Just NO. I'd gotten this because I wanted to test how my skin reacted to benzoyl peroxide, and because I'd started getting acne. I'd had the occasional pimple, but recently my skin had gotten around 3 cystic acnes, and even though I'd gotten rid of them, i was seeing minor pimples forming on my face. I'd seen good reviews on the persagel 10, but since I couldn't find it, and I wasn't sure if I'd react well to it, I got this one.

Well, that was a horrible decision.

I started using this on the minor pimples about to form, a little bit every night for around 3 days. The first and second day, it seemed a tiny bit redder, but I thought that was just the pimple, and applied more. Well it's day 4 and I have rosacea. I have two small, bright pink, bumpy patches on the top of my cheeks, and they seem to be spreading. It's also made the pores on those parts HUGE. Since the only thing I'd changed in my routine was this, and I saw a reaction within days, I knew it was this. I read on wikipedia that benzoyl peroxide can cause rosacea in some people, and I wish I'd know this sooner. My advice is, don't risk it. Stick to salicylic acid. I might change that opinion, depending on how my skin fares over the next few days, but for now, I really really regret this

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 9:01:00 PM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I use this as a spot treatment on pimples that have come to a head, or spots I have recently picked (bad, I know!) to make sure they really dry out. My skin is way too dry to use this all over, so I just dab it on problem areas with a qtip and leave it on overnight. For deeper, painful, under the skin type breakouts, this doesn't do much for me. But for little pimples, it takes care of them overnight. I do get a little flaking, but I find that the dark spots left behind when the acne heals are lighter when I use this than when I let them heal on their own. The pigmentation almost seems to peel off with the flakes. Gross, but effective.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 11:09:00 PM More reviews by lanid06

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

As all the reveiws say, it's tru, it's VERY drying. Its good at getting rid of patches of pimples, and whiteheads but not for blackheads, or oil, or rosacea.