MAC 138 Tapered Face Brush

4.8

on 4/30/2015 1:42:00 AM

I love this brush a lot, and I have two of them, one for blush/bronzer and one for setting powder/highlight. The shape and density of this brush are perfect for applying all my powder face products. It picks up just the right amount of product and blends so amazingly well. I used to hate using up the last bits of powder product along the edge of the pan, but the tapered shape makes it so easy without having to scrape the product out or smashing the bristles to pick up the powder evenly. For face makeup, you would only need this brush, a dense buffing brush, and a synthetic brush for liquid foundation and concealer.

on 4/24/2015 8:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Holy f** MAC. I paid $70CAD for this brush ($63+tax) aaahhhhh... but it's one of my proud investments.

Okay yes, it's true that you can use this brush for: blush, face, contouring, highlighting. But if you think about it, are you really going to mix a red blush, taupe blush, white setting powder on the same brush in one makeup application? It is a versatile brush, true, you can use it for anything. But I actually have a separate brush for each powder I use. And the 138, I specifically use it for contouring. I COULD wash the brush and use it as a blush brush on a different day, but usually I use the 138 for contouring.

It's very very soft and it diffuses well. I'm a "no-makeup makeup" kind of girl (though I do love eyeshadow!) and I much prefer when contouring acts like a light shadow (like the "shadow" in "puppet shadow"). So my contouring looks like it's from natural lighting, when really it's my light-hand taupe blush. The 138 makes this SO easy, it allows me to be very light-hand AND it diffuses the colour BUT I HAVE ABSOLUTE CONTROL. Because the 138 is pointed, I know where my powder goes. It blends the colour onto my face soooooooo well.

Whenever I use the 138, I know the dark colour is blended, my makeup looks very natural, and there's no unblended weird brown sticking out like I'm some makeup-idiot.

I didn't really care if it's soft or not (but it is), I need a brush that diffuses well. And it does. But it's also soft... oh my god, it's like heavenly soft that when I wash it, I feel like I'm destroying its angel-like body. Which is why I don't want to wash it daily! So I keep it as a taupe-colour-only brush.

With cheeks/blush application, it's the exact same. It blends blush extremely well even with a strong colour like the NARS Liberté.

I wouldn't use this for setting powder or foundation powder, I feel like you're just wasting your money. The 138 is way too amazing AND PRICEY to be used on something easy like foundation application!

on 3/6/2014 2:20:00 PM

If there is one brush you had to pick and buy..it would be this one!
This brush is super soft and not too dense but not too fluffy. Just perfect.
It has a very sturdy handy like most brushes at MAC..although this is on the pricey side ($63 CAD)..the quality is great like most of Mac brushes (this is made from Japan). I would recommend this brush because it is very VERSATILE. If you are like me, and don't like to have too many brushes at home, this brush is the one for you!!! Highly recommend!

You can use this brush and the different parts of the brush to:

- apply a all over bronzer OR
- contour your face
- apply highlighter
- apply blush
- apply a setting powder over the face
- apply a setting powder to set your undereye concealer.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Aaaaaaah- I finally got my hands on this amazing brush today via MAC's website because my local counter didn't carry it and the MAs actually never even heard of it! Still wonder how that's even possible. This brush is every good thing I expected based on my pre-purchase thorough "research." It's a must for everyone who wants to get the best results from their makeup.
The handle is average length for a MAC face brush, though I do wish it were a little longer given the large size of the brush itself, but I'm like that with most face brushes. The longer brushes are just more artistic to me, so don't let that personal preference deter you. The bristles are very soft and perfectly cut to a gentle point which makes it ultra versatile. I agree with the reviewer down below who said it could (or did?) easily be the one face brush you take to travel. It is perfect for placing powder in small areas only to avoid looking overly powdered, for applying bronzer or highlighter anywhere, contouring, precision blush placement and overall blending everything to perfection. It can also be used to apply a soft wash of color to eyelids but I doubt it would be ideal for placing crease colors.
I definitely recommend you get one ASAP, maybe even two which is what I plan on doing. Of course one is enough, BUT I tend to acquire multiples of HG products fearing they will be met with the awful "discontinued" doom!

on 6/9/2013 2:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I purchased this brush whilst I was in Hong Kong so I can't quite remember how much it cost, maybe the equivalent to around $60 AUD? However in Australia, it costs $105 - yes, the markup here is caaaarazy! It's made from natural fibres and the brush handle also says 'Japan'.

Anyway, this was the first MAC brush I ever bought. It was also my first 'higher end' brush. I mainly purchased it to use as a powder and bronzer brush. Because of the tapered shape, it's great for applying bronzer (I use Benefit's hoola) around my face and cheeks. I also use this for applying MAC's blot powder to my whole face.

This brush is soft so it feels nice and comfortable. I probably use MAC's brush cleaner every couple of weeks and deep clean with shampoo maybe once every two months since I don't wear bronzer/powder very often and therefore don't use the brush frequently. However, every time I do wear makeup, I always use this brush! After a year and a half of owning this brush, it still sheds a bit when I clean it. Around 3-5 hairs come out each time. It doesn't bother me too much because the brush overall has still kept its nice shape. I also don't find that I get any stray hairs on my face when I use it.

Knock on wood but if I lost this brush I would probably cry. Partly because it's my favourite and partly because it's so expensive here in Australia! In saying that, I would definitely repurchase it.

A great brush which works well with powder products. Du to its pointed end it is very good to apply product where control for the amount is important. I find it most useful for applying powder contouring, bronzing and highlighting products. Can also be used for final touch ups with face powder or fr applying blush.
It is very soft and doesn't shed at all.

on 4/7/2013 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I own many Mac brushes, but this is one of my favorites. I originally wanted the sigma or Sedona lace version, but I hate ordering online. I was in Fashion Valley with my grandparents and was fortunate to have a shopping spree in Mac and sephora, so I picked up this 138. I watch shaaanxo and she loves these brushes for bronzing, so that's what I use mine for. This is an amazing brush!!!! It is so soft and dense, and only a few hairs have fallen out. It bronzes perfectly, and then I use my 108 for my contour! This is quite an investment but if you get the chance I 100% recommend this brush.

on 2/26/2013 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this brush for applying powders, it's so soft :)

on 11/30/2012 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I am really loving this brush! It's pretty versatile. I use it when I want to lightly contour my face (it's too soft to do any serious contouring). I also use it to apply highlighter. I haven't used it for blush yet, but I imagine it would work great for that, too. I haven't noticed any shedding yet. The brustles are super soft. The retail price is ghastly, thankfully I get a 30% discount with my cosmo license. I realize they're supposedly hand-made, but $52 is crazy. With that said, I would re-purchase if I had to because it's good quality, it's soft, and it's multi-purpose.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've been using this brush for nearly two years now and finally had no choice but to replace it. I love the softness of the bristles and the light and even coverage it gives, but the number of bristles that fall out every time I use it are increasing in number. It started out by only shedding a few large ones but now I find at least a dozen large bristles all over my face after doing my blush and powder. Then there are the tiny hair-like bristles that stick all over my face and are such a pain to pick off.

I've done my best to care for it. I clean it with warm water and baby shampoo every 1-2 weeks and lay it flat to dry. And I bought this from a MAC store in London so there's no question about it being an authentic product. It's the only MAC brush I've ever bought and I know everyone raves about them, but I've moved on to Chanel and am infinitely happier with their brushes.

Top Rated MAC Products