September 2, 2014 | 952 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 138 Tapered Face Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by esornart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If there is one brush you had to pick and buy..it would be this one!
This brush is super soft and not too dense but not too fluffy. Just perfect.
It has a very sturdy handy like most brushes at MAC..although this is on the pricey side ($63 CAD)..the quality is great like most of Mac brushes (this is made from Japan). I would recommend this brush because it is very VERSATILE. If you are like me, and don't like to have too many brushes at home, this brush is the one for you!!! Highly recommend!

You can use this brush and the different parts of the brush to:

- apply a all over bronzer OR
- contour your face
- apply highlighter
- apply blush
- apply a setting powder over the face
- apply a setting powder to set your undereye concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2013 2:35:00 AM More reviews by RelaxDontDoIt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Aaaaaaah- I finally got my hands on this amazing brush today via MAC's website because my local counter didn't carry it and the MAs actually never even heard of it! Still wonder how that's even possible. This brush is every good thing I expected based on my pre-purchase thorough "research." It's a must for everyone who wants to get the best results from their makeup.
The handle is average length for a MAC face brush, though I do wish it were a little longer given the large size of the brush itself, but I'm like that with most face brushes. The longer brushes are just more artistic to me, so don't let that personal preference deter you. The bristles are very soft and perfectly cut to a gentle point which makes it ultra versatile. I agree with the reviewer down below who said it could (or did?) easily be the one face brush you take to travel. It is perfect for placing powder in small areas only to avoid looking overly powdered, for applying bronzer or highlighter anywhere, contouring, precision blush placement and overall blending everything to perfection. It can also be used to apply a soft wash of color to eyelids but I doubt it would be ideal for placing crease colors.
I definitely recommend you get one ASAP, maybe even two which is what I plan on doing. Of course one is enough, BUT I tend to acquire multiples of HG products fearing they will be met with the awful "discontinued" doom!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 2:16:00 AM More reviews by jamface17

I purchased this brush whilst I was in Hong Kong so I can't quite remember how much it cost, maybe the equivalent to around $60 AUD? However in Australia, it costs $105 - yes, the markup here is caaaarazy! It's made from natural fibres and the brush handle also says 'Japan'.

Anyway, this was the first MAC brush I ever bought. It was also my first 'higher end' brush. I mainly purchased it to use as a powder and bronzer brush. Because of the tapered shape, it's great for applying bronzer (I use Benefit's hoola) around my face and cheeks. I also use this for applying MAC's blot powder to my whole face.

This brush is soft so it feels nice and comfortable. I probably use MAC's brush cleaner every couple of weeks and deep clean with shampoo maybe once every two months since I don't wear bronzer/powder very often and therefore don't use the brush frequently. However, every time I do wear makeup, I always use this brush! After a year and a half of owning this brush, it still sheds a bit when I clean it. Around 3-5 hairs come out each time. It doesn't bother me too much because the brush overall has still kept its nice shape. I also don't find that I get any stray hairs on my face when I use it.

Knock on wood but if I lost this brush I would probably cry. Partly because it's my favourite and partly because it's so expensive here in Australia! In saying that, I would definitely repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 4:16:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

A great brush which works well with powder products. Du to its pointed end it is very good to apply product where control for the amount is important. I find it most useful for applying powder contouring, bronzing and highlighting products. Can also be used for final touch ups with face powder or fr applying blush.
It is very soft and doesn't shed at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by mspaigie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I own many Mac brushes, but this is one of my favorites. I originally wanted the sigma or Sedona lace version, but I hate ordering online. I was in Fashion Valley with my grandparents and was fortunate to have a shopping spree in Mac and sephora, so I picked up this 138. I watch shaaanxo and she loves these brushes for bronzing, so that's what I use mine for. This is an amazing brush!!!! It is so soft and dense, and only a few hairs have fallen out. It bronzes perfectly, and then I use my 108 for my contour! This is quite an investment but if you get the chance I 100% recommend this brush.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Fieeeh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I love this brush for applying powders, it's so soft :)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2012 2:28:00 PM More reviews by smatte77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am really loving this brush! It's pretty versatile. I use it when I want to lightly contour my face (it's too soft to do any serious contouring). I also use it to apply highlighter. I haven't used it for blush yet, but I imagine it would work great for that, too. I haven't noticed any shedding yet. The brustles are super soft. The retail price is ghastly, thankfully I get a 30% discount with my cosmo license. I realize they're supposedly hand-made, but $52 is crazy. With that said, I would re-purchase if I had to because it's good quality, it's soft, and it's multi-purpose.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/12/2012 9:50:00 AM More reviews by queenofthenile

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this brush for nearly two years now and finally had no choice but to replace it. I love the softness of the bristles and the light and even coverage it gives, but the number of bristles that fall out every time I use it are increasing in number. It started out by only shedding a few large ones but now I find at least a dozen large bristles all over my face after doing my blush and powder. Then there are the tiny hair-like bristles that stick all over my face and are such a pain to pick off.

I've done my best to care for it. I clean it with warm water and baby shampoo every 1-2 weeks and lay it flat to dry. And I bought this from a MAC store in London so there's no question about it being an authentic product. It's the only MAC brush I've ever bought and I know everyone raves about them, but I've moved on to Chanel and am infinitely happier with their brushes.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by gnikole2003

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

one of the most expensive brushes of mac and imo not a necessity .
it works great for powder , its amazing though for blush and/or highlight due to the tapered pointy tip it gives you extra control on the application
i am annoyed though at the fact that for the price this runs , its slightly scratchy and it sheds a hair here and there , maybe after couple washes will soften up but for now its quite stiff
i havent had it for long so cant tell if it will stop the shedding once its been through a number of washes
however i do love how dense this brush is and i would buy it again in a heart beat just because i love the control this gives me on application

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2012 10:50:00 PM More reviews by feveragnes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

MAC 138 is a tapered brush suitable for applying loose powder and brushes, and for contouring. The bristles are ultra soft, like, SUPER soft, and my sensitive skin has never felt so good before. I use the side of it to dap on loose powder, and the result is even and compact. Of course, I make use of the tapered shape to put on bronzers and blushes, and the tip just makes everything precise. The brush is semi-dense I would say, not too fluffy but not too dense, so the right amount of powder is packed up and can give a sheer satin finish. I know it looks huge, but according to the MAC makeup artist, its big size and unique shape means versatility - can be applied on big or small areas catering different needs.

I wash the brush and it doesn't shed, maybe 1-2 hairs? But it definitely doesn't shed on my face when I am using it. The shape is retained after washing, and it surprises me how quick it dries - perhaps partly due to its semi-dense nature?

It's really pricy ($48 Euro in Hong Kong) and one of the most expensive brushes from MAC, but if you want to buy a quality brush for multi-purpose, choose this over MAC 129 - it sheds much less, feels much softer and can apply, blend and contour on big/small areas. It's 'THE' HG big powder brush that I need and certainly is an investment.

Bristles: 5/5
shape: 5/5
versatility: 5/5
application: 5/5
price: 3.8/5 (consider the quality and the size)

Overall: 4.76/5