April 19, 2014 | 1887 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by albs

I bought this to use as a primer, because like a dummy I thought I'd "try something new", and have since purchased three primers that don't really work very well for me after finishing up my NARS eye primer. It doesn't work for me on its own, I get creasing and fading after several hours. I find the texture rather dry and somewhat difficult to blend on the eye. For a while when I would apply it it looked incredibly dry, yellow, cakey, and just really unappealing. I have found a way for it to work for me however, and have been wearing it this way almost daily under my eyeshadow. I apply my eye primer (TheBalm Put A Lid On It) which it quite a thin, almost silicone-y eye primer, let it set for about 30 seconds or so, apply a small amount of Soft Ochre and blend it gently (but well!), let it dry down and then apply my eyeshadow. This prolongs the wear of my eyeshadow considerably as compared to my primer alone. I'm not sure that I would repurchase it because it doesn't make sense to buy two eye primers when you can get away with one that really works, but if you have this and a primer that isn't doing what you need it to do, try them together.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by Gretalin

I like this paint pot but I'm not that crazy about it. For me, it is a good eyeshadow base and that's it. On the bright side, it evens out the skin tone, gives a nice and clean base for eyeshadows to pop. It does not prevent the oil from my eyelid what so ever. If I don't use a primer underneath, my eyeshadow will still creases on me. If I'm gonna wear it, I'll always pair it with my UDPP. Overall, it's a good product, but I don't think it is a "must have" for me.

For more in-depth review, please go to my blog http://gretalinbeauty.com/2014/03/30/all-the-mac-paint-pot-i-have-reviewswatches/

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by kamiller1972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my go to shadow primer. The price point is just right considering how much you get and how very little you need to use-beats the heck out of Urban Decays price point and how much you get...though I love that eye primer too. But if I had to choose between the two...it would be MAC all the way!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 1:34:00 PM More reviews by Cammmi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on second pot. I think the Pro longwear is a new formula because it has longer lasting than the original paint pot. Which makes this an even better base.
I reach for this paint pot almost everyday. It is so easy! You can just line with a dark shadow or directly a medium shadow in the crease. You don't have to build a neutral pale canvas after putting eye primer. A staple for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by bobloblaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For reference: My skin tone is NC37-40. I have dark hair and dark eyes. In the winter my skin is combo/dry, which is a combination of prescription acne medication and the cold weather, whereas my skin is very oily in the summer.

I just don't get the hype for this product. To my knowledge, it's marketed as a eyeshadow base to make your eyeshadow go on more vibrant while also smoothing out any discoloration you might have on your lids.

MAC doesn't claim that it will prevent your eyeshadow from creasing so I won't knock points for that since oily lids are better off going with a traditional primer a la NARS Smudgeproof Base or Urban Decay Primer Potion. Even when I used this, I layered a primer underneath since I knew this would not cut it for my oily lids.

Where I did knock off a lot of points was on the "vibrancy" part. I find the complete opposite is true. When I first swatched Soft Ochre on my hand I was a little worried that it would be way too white on my skin tone. However, skin twins have raved and rec'd it everywhere so I figured that once I blend it out on my eyes it would be fine. I was wrong. No matter how hard I blend it or how little I've used, it always looks like I've put on a white base. To add insult to injury, when I put eyeshadow on it, all of my shadows take on a muted, gray tinge to them, particularly my usually very warm brown shades. Suddenly they look like brown-grays. Gray-tinged shades make me look very sallow and ill so needless to say, it makes my eyes look terrible.

To be fair, I don't have very much discoloration on my eyelids at all. In fact they are the one area of my face that is rather flawless in contrast to the rest of my skin which has quite a bit of acne hyperpigmentation. So perhaps Soft Ochre does too much eyelid color correction? I'm not sure but I ended up trashing it because it never made my shadows appear true to life. I think for fairer skinned people this might be a major win but for anyone in the tan range, unless you have serious discoloration, it is a miss.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by largloworm

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this and was wondering if it would make any difference at all? I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I have it in Soft Ochre and it's great for my eyes. If I wasn't even wearing shadow I'd wear it. I use a brush and bring it right up under my eyebrow. Opens up my eyes! I am 67 and I have always been into make up! This is a have to have for me. My shadow stays ON and does not crease all day! My shadows always used to crease and look a mess. NOT now!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2014 5:31:00 PM More reviews by startariot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Bought this based on the good reviews, sad to say I'm so disappointed in this product. It creases after a mere 3-4 hours and my eyelids aren't really that oily.. doesn't really make my eyeshadow pop either. Only good things I can say are that it evens out my skin tone nicely and is easy to apply but that's just about it and not why I bought it.
Definitely not comparable to UD's primer potion, which does not crease on me for at least 12+ hours and brightens any eyeshadow I put on. Another overrated MAC product that turned out to be a huge disappointment.. won't be buying again (or anything else for that matter).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by Sisterhazel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have very oily eyelids, with a lot of discoloration. I got this specifically for the discoloration problem, and I am thrilled with the results. It evens out the skin around my eyelids, makes the skin look smooth, and doesn't accentuate crepiness. I'm not sure how it performs as a shadow primer - I'll update in a week for that. But for getting rid of the dark red blotchiness that seems to have popped up since turning 40, this is wonderful.

Update: I have been wearing this daily for the last week, and it works nicely as a shadow primer, too. Previously I was wearing Too Faced Shadow Insurance, which I like as a primer, but that doesn't address my discoloration problems. This paint pot is a winner all around.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 1:46:00 AM More reviews by jadyxo

I freakin' love this!! Before buying this, my eyelids were always so oily and every eyeshadow creased on them. This miracle product mattifies my lids while keeping my eyeshadows in place all day! Love love love.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by UWMsGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love Soft Ochre as an eye primer. At first when I tried it I found that it was way too drying on my eyelids, but then I read somewhere from others who found it really drying as well was a tip to making it work for dry skin was to apply moisturizer first and then this to make it go on smoother and what do you know, it worked! I love this as a primer and it really has great staying power. Love it!