Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation (All Shades)

3.7

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I like how this looks on the skin when freshly applied.
I do have issues finding a shade that matches well but they are pretty forgiving.
It did not break me out but my skin seems to be even oilier when I use mineral type foundations/powders.
This causes the makeup to cake up and slip around a bit and not look good.
I have to touch up far too much with this product then I have with others.

This mineral foundation competes well with the bareMinerals Matte line. The bareMinerals were my go to foundation but the price is high and I find the packaging irritating, they can be really messy. But the bareMinerals lasts me about 11 months while the Neutrogena lasts about 8 months. For $16 less, thats a fair trade off. I use Medium Beige in bareMinerals Matte Foundation, and Natural Beige in the Mineral Sheers Compact. The Neutrogena compact has a foam pad in the bottom compartment that may be ok for emergency application, but the coverage will be terrible and the pad gets oily quickly. I prefer to use an eco tools foundation brush or a kabuki-style brush. I don't get shiny with this foundation, but it sometimes gets patchy after a long day at work. It doesn't help that I work in a setting with very dry air. I often need to fix my makeup by 4 pm, and a re-application can look chalky. Using primers and different moisturizers has helped this issue, and I blame my face and dry air more than the foundation. I like that there is no talc in it. The coverage is sheer to light, but I use it over a BB cream (Maybelline, Garnier, or Aveeno) and that works well to enhance the coverage without getting spotty.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I should start by saying I use 80% HE products and so I am picky. This is the best powder compact I have found at the drugstore. I use Janie Iredale pure pressed base for the mornings, which is pricier but my HG, but to touch up during the day at work I keep this in my bag and it's great. It has pretty good coverage I would say medium when you use the pad that the compact comes with, and it doesn't feel cakey or thick at all. So medium coverage and feels light on the skin and doesn't break me out? All for under $10? That's a winner for me. The only thing I don't like is the compact because I only had mine for a few months and the hinge snapped . But I would recommend this product.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have been using this power for almost 5 years now and I can honestly say that I have no reason to look for anything else! It sets foundation beautifully, has a natural finish, and super build able coverage! I do wish that it looked a little bit smoother on its own (not over foundation or BB cream) but c'est la vie! It drugstore and from a company that does not overload their products with crap ingredients. The packaging is pretty bland, but I buy it for the results! I have combination/oily skin and this keeps my skin pretty shine free (I say "pretty" because in certain areas I still get shine, but I can't tell if it's the powder's fault or the fact that I can get SUPER shiny in my T-zone, so who knows) I will continue to repurchase this product :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Powder foundation is the only kind I wear, and I especially like mineral powders because my skin breathes and feels natural. I really like this one for several reasons. I like that it's pressed instead of loose, it's less messy. I like that I can find it at any drugstore. I like that it gives me good Bare Minerals quality for half the price. And I like the light, natural looking coverage it gives. I don't want to cover anything up, just even things out a bit. This is how I use it:
1. I make sure skin is well moisturized before applying.
2. I take the sponge that came with the compact and set it aside for another use. A sponge is no way to apply powder. Using a traditional powder puff (I buy them in multi-packs at the drugstore), I apply a light layer all over my face.
3. Using a kabuki type brush, I give my face a quick buff all over to even it all out.
Now I look and feel natural, just a little more even toned.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this powder foundation isn't perfect, I've come to accept that none are. I've been using Bare Escentuals (BE) for the last couple of years, but was never quite satisfied with how it felt on my skin and the color match.
1. Color Match
I tend to fall into the light/medium range with slight golden/olive undertones; my skin is pretty fair/sallow in the winter, but I do also get a significant tan in the summer. In BE, I wore Medium Beige, which I always felt was just a tad too pink for my skin tone. Not too long ago, BE came out with Golden Medium (the same shade roughly as Medium Beige, but a more yellow undertone). Unfortunately, this was WAY too yellow for my skin tone. I found that the color 040 works well for me during the fall/winter/spring and 060 Natural Beige during the summer. Both have just enough of the golden undertones that they complement into my natural tone.
2. Application
I use a kabuki brush to apply this all over my face. Overall, I really like the way this powder feels on my skin compared the BE. The BE always felt cakey and ,honestly, a little irritating. The texture of this powder is quite silky and blendable, yet goes on matte. The coverage is light to medium. I do find myself sometimes needing a (very light) mid-day blotting...I just use the sponge with little to no powder. It's great that it's a compact, because you can cart it anywhere.
3. Acne/Sensitive Skin
So this is why I've really stayed with this foundation. The coverage isn't as good as the BE, but this product works fabulously with my EXTREMELY acne-prone and sensitive skin. I can't use any products with fragrance, harsh ingredients, heavy fillers, etc. I have not had a breakout or irritation from this product. While it doesn't cure my hormonal breakouts, it certainly doesn't aggravate them.

Paula's Choice did a review of this product, which sparked my initial purchase. Here is that review: http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/neutrogena/Mineral-Sheers/_/Mineral-Sheers-Pressed-Powder-Foundation

I purchased mine at target for around $12: http://www.target.com/p/neutrogena-mineral-sheers-compact-powder-foundation/-/A-13653315

The best powder! I have oily skin so I need powder. But I don't want it to look like i'm wearing powder. This brand is the most translucent and light I have found. Only negative is the packaging. They should eliminate the bottom slide away compartment and just add more product.

really like this product! doesn't look to dry or mask-like. best yet? it doesn't change color when i get a little oily. i'm using the natural ivory which looks a bit pink in the packaging but is a great neutral when i put it on. it also doesn't crease too badly.

Tricky to apply, but does give med. coverage. By the end of the day it settled funny in wrinkles & on pimples. I would not recommend this.

I had this in my drawer in Natural Ivory 02 for some time. After trying Too Faced Cocoa Powder Foundation and not wanting talc in my face powder, I dug this out. For the life of me I can't recall why I had stopped using it. I tried it twice this week actually using the sponge that comes with it and it worked great! Gave me a matte finish without looking cakey, powdery or settling into lines. Way superior to the Too Faced for a third the price. I looked up the ingredients and low and behold no talc! I hate a made-up look which I got with Too Faced but Neutrogena looked much more natural. I think it must be the talc that gives the artificial powdery look. I used this over exfoliated moisturized skin then added blush and concealer on some spots. Coverage was light to moderate. I find that if I put concealer on first then the powder rubs it off and I have to reapply anyway, making it too thick. Anyway for a talc free product I would say this is a good deal. I ordered new brushes so I will try it with a brush but am actually ok with the sponge included. Wish I could return the Too Faced.