July 30, 2014 | 987 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Voleur de Roses

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2012 12:34:00 AM More reviews by htriesch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been on a quest for the perfect "dark rose" fragrance and even though I've tried Frederic Malle - Une Rose, Pasteum Rose, and various Rose Chypres, this is still my favorite rose so far. The other reviews are accurate, it can change each time you wear it - sometimes rose, sometimes plum, sometimes patchouli depending on your chemistry any given day, but it still has that dark, earthy rose quality that stands out from all the others I have tried.
I still want to try Serge Lutens - Rose De Nuit and if that fails then Voleur de Roses might just be the one for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2011 5:50:00 PM More reviews by HelenVanPattersonPatton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wet, earthy, sexy, dirtyish rose. Marketed as unisex, but one of the few florals I would find extremely sexy on the right man while not wanting to also wear it myself. It's very deep because of the rose-plum-patchouli combination, and to be honest, that combination isn't me. I love all three notes, and I am a huge fan of rose-patch scents (Juliette Has a Gun...) but the plummy note in this one makes it a bit overpowering on me. In addition, bergamot never lightens up a fragrance on my skin, and this is no exception. Therefore Voleur de Roses is all heaviness on me, but this scent is one I can totally see working on the right man (or woman). We were just meant to be acquaintances.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2011 1:23:00 PM More reviews by fivezero

Wet, earthy rose. Surprised to see it is marketed to men...it seems a strong feminine to me. I would like it but for the opening, which is unpleasantly acidic. The drydown is nice, though, and lasts on me for around four hours, which is quite good for an EDT. Overall, not for me but worth trying, especially if you are a rose fan.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2010 9:27:00 PM More reviews by AntFarm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my favorite rose so far in my rosy-fragrance experimentation phase. This is the kind of rose that makes me imagine the Queen in Alice and Wonderland, and the playing cards getting yelled at for painting the roses red. This smells of a real rose bush--of dew, earthiness, and blood-red roses. Very mysterious feme-fatale rose--not a fresh or light rose. I am tempted to be a rose thief when I smell this. It has a slight naughtiness to it that reminds me of when I was a little girl and I stole my neighbors' roses.

EDIT: I wore this again, and this time it was a pure patchouli bomb. This is one of those schizophrenic fragrances that emphasizes different notes each time I wear it, and because of that, I don't think I'd ever get a full bottle.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2010 1:54:00 AM More reviews by fragranceisall

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Because I liked Drole de Rose, I thought this would be a more exotic, mysterious rose frag. Wrong. It smelled exactly like dirt, black, Tim Burton-type evil dirt from Sleepy Hollow Cemetary, nothing like lovely soil that beautiful flowers grow from. In desperation, because I didn't want to throw away a nearly-full bottle, I tried layering it w/"Stella" and, wonder of wonders, the beast was tamed. But I still wouldn't buy another bottle.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2009 2:11:00 AM More reviews by sunflower18

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love rose fragrances and was excited to give this one a try. What transpired after I sprayed this on my arm was the smell of roses for about 30 seconds and then all I could smell was patchouli which I am not a big fan of, especially in larger doses as evidenced in this perfume.
To me it smells like a cross between bad underarm BO and the scent you would smell in the room if you went to see some kind of gypsy tarot card reader. Just way too earthy for me. There are many, many rose perfumes that I love or like, but this one will not be added to that list. Pass.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2008 8:51:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I am sorry to disagree with most of the people here, but unless I got a bad decant, this smells nothing like a rose to me.
At first sniff, I get a vine note - wine in a cellar, not in a bottle. Lots of moist (like in a cellar) - I live in a countryside full of vineyards and wine makers so I know what I am talking about. Something fermentating...
Then it is very watery to me, probably the rose is hidden there, but it does not smell like a classical rose to me.
I get a plum note, though (a candied one). And then fresh grapes, again. On my skin it is awful (smells like rotten wood, I find it unpleasant ) but is somewhat interesting when sprayed on paper - so i guess some skins react better than mine to this frag.
It is defintely a man fragrance, very dry - I do not even get the sweet patchouli everybody mentions here.... some sweet note in the drydown after some hours...it does not show up earlier on me.
I am really doubtful... provided that I got a good decant, this for me is a big NO.
It is quite original - the blending together of such cacophonic notes - but to me, unwearable.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2008 4:12:00 AM More reviews by aquasea2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This one is weird .. but in a gooooooooooood way! I don't get rose, I but I do get a plumminess mixed with something else (probably the patchouli) that takes on a whole different life of its own. The first spray is a bit much - reminds me of Opium (that 80s thing) and then the middle bit is gorgeous (and lasts a good while on me) but the drydown takes a but of a masculine turn.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2008 6:00:00 PM More reviews by vic2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Voleur de roses.I don't have it yet, but I long for it.
I am suprised this is marketed for men, but mind you I think only very strong personality types. men or women,can't get away with it, with the right body chemistry of course, because just out of the bottle, I thought "this stinks", but then applied on the skin, and with an amazing dry down, well, all I could think was" this is sex in a bottle"
I tried it in a store,and went on with my shopping, when I got home that night, I kept wondering what was that addictive smell, until I realized it was me! That night, when I woke up,I could smell it on my pillow, and thought " OMG, I've got to have it" The next mroning I went to the store again to douze myself in it! The price tag is my only deterent at the moment, as I'm travelling aborad and I am unwilling to pay the $200 it would cost to get it here, so I have to wait until I get home, but I already know, this is going to be HG for me.
Funilly enough, this is the only fragrance by L'artisan that provoked such a reaction in me- except Mandarine- the rest I find pretty ordinary.in spite of all the hype.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2008 9:55:00 PM More reviews by whoshore

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't like straight-up rose perfume and normally avoid it, but I do like patchouli, so I had to try this scent. I think it's amazing, but very unusual, and perhaps an acquired taste. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me quickly and became true love. To me, it smells like wet earth, crushed fruit and rain-drenched wild roses. I think big fans of rose fragrances might be disappointed by Voleur de Roses, since it's earthy rather than ethereal. I think it's sexy as the day is long.