November 29, 2014 | 809 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by bomkin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using castor oil (Now Solutions brand) for about... hmm.. the 8 months or so? I first got it to help grow back my pixie hair cut faster. Then I remembered that lots and lots of people swear by it for growing back or conditioning their lashes and brows.

I'm of East Asian descent and I have very sparse, thin, stick straight lashes and brows. You know you're playing a dangerous game when you're plucking your brows and you pick ONE wrong brow hair and it's GAME OVER. Now you have a giant bald spot you have to fake being full with makeup til who knows when it will grow back. The thing is, I was quite overzealous with this when I was a young teen and it NEVER GREW BACK. This plucking business is even more dangerous for me because I have such thin, sparse brows. So that is the sad, sad story of how I came to have a giant bald spot on my left eyebrow many years ago.

I really wasn't expecting much of anything when I started putting this on my brows and lashes. Just to let you know, it's not a miracle potion or anything. I really only started using it for extra conditioning properties and figured it wouldn't hurt. I wasn't expecting any growth from it at all, and it really didn't do anything for a long while, and I went about my usual daily business of placing that extra dark brown powder in my bald spot and wrestling with my curler and mascara to try to enhance what I've got (or what I haven't got..?). But then one day I noticed that hey! What the cabbage??? I don't have to put on as much brow powder anymore! And I took a step back and just LOOKED at my brows. HEY! HEY BUDDY, YOU'RE BACK! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN THE PAST DECADE??

And SO folks, THAT is the story of how my left brow was united with its old buddy, the brow hairs, after a decade long absence. In fact, castor oil brings a little TOO many buddies all over my eyelids in a much shorter amount of time than before I started using it. Now I actually have to spend some quality time with my tweezerman tweezers. Castor oil didn't make my brows or lashes grow any THICKER or anything, but I am perfectly happy for this incredibly cheap remedy because my brow buddies are BACK and I don't mind plucking a some extra hairs from time to time. And I'm pretty sure it's castor oil that is making the difference because I've been using lots of different oils as moisturizer/lash conditioner for years now, and have also tried vaseline as well, and they didn't do anything in terms of growth.

As for my lashes, like I said, it didn't help with volume or anything, but my lashes are DEFINITELY longer and actually visible now with mascara on (I take before and after pictures of everything, particularly for skin improvements). Even my partner noticed, and he never notices /anything/. But take this with a grain of salt because it could also be because I took a break from curling my lashes and putting on mascara every single day for a little while. I just like to use it for conditioning my lashes (my full n soft waterproof mascara I've been using for the past 4 years or so is definitely too strong for my eyes and probably lashes, as it makes my eyes bloodshot and water and burn a bit.. oh well time to make the switch), and don't expect it to give me the fake lash effect.

I really just think this helps you reach your body's natural potential for hair growth, that's been stopped for whatever reason. My pixie cut is reaching my shoulders now too, after 6 months of usage, but I don't want to be too hasty and say that that is castor oil all by itself, because I also used rosemary essential oil as well (which is also supposed to stimulate growth, but it's also INCREDIBLY AMAZINGGGG if you have hair that gets oily really fast like I do - just put several drops mixed with water/aloe on your scalp after showers - it doesn't make your hair greasy AT ALL if it is not diluted rosemary oil.. NOW Foods/Solutions 4 oz bottle on amazon that I bought feels definitely diluted... But Aura Cacia's did not. What a waste of money!). And I also did apple cider vinegar rinses after shampooing. (If you are doing ACV rinses, and if pH of hair things matters to you: you can see on kimmaytube's pH test of commonly used hair things video that only 1/4 tsp of it, which is a TINY amount, in 4 oz. of water = half a cup of water, brings the pH of ACV to 4.0, which is okay and won't eat away your hair or anything, assuming your water has a pH of 7. So yeah, it doesn't take a lot to get good effects is all I'm sayin'.)

Oh, one thing to consider though, I have read that it's extremely dangerous for workers to harvest the castor plant. From what I know, a lot of people since ancient times have made use of this plant for all sorts of things so I'm thinking it should be okay if done safely, but I do not know what the working conditions are for mass-produced castor oil/etc. from the company I order from is like, so I'm opting to go with Mountain Rose Herb's brand next time I order because they seem like they're a lot more aware of these kinds of things. This concerns me a lot, as I wouldn't want others to get hurt or potentially die partly because little ol' me wants to look a little better on this side of the world.

So yeah. In summary, castor oil helped with the growth of my hairs. I hope that helped someone. Yey i actually finished something

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2014 7:30:00 PM More reviews by neontom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Where I come from, they say: Castor oil for Hairs and Lashes (to grow faster), Almond oil (sweet) for Brows and Hairs (to grow new hairs!).. Almond oil is not good on eyes anyway.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by futuredermeditor

Castor oil is 90% ricinoleic acid, which has skin smoothing and moisturizing properties.

I'm not a huge fan of castor oil for the eyebrows. I think it's better for cleansing, though that too has its detriments: https://www.futurederm.com/2011/07/29/does-the-oil-cleansing-method-work-the-friendly-friday-qa-post/

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by xDevochkax

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have mixed feelings about castor oil in general, but since this is a review for using it on the brows, I'll keep it at that. About a month ago I was using this on my brows religiously every night for about 3 weeks, so it's safe to say I've formed a pretty solid opinion.

From my experience it seems like it moreso makes brow hairs longer rather than fuller. The length of my brow hairs is not my issue; they're long enough. My brows aren't extremely sparse, but they're sparse enough to have to use more products than I care to (pencil, powder, and tinted brow gel) to make them look decent. I think it MAYBE could have helped grow back overplucked areas slightly more quickly, but that could just be a placebo effect.

In a nutshell: If your brow hairs are too short, I think castor oil will help. If you want your brows to be more full, you'll probably be disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by krysownzu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased a bottle of this at the Vitamin Shoppe after reading reviews here where people stated this helps to grow eyebrows back. Mine are in rough shape because I ruined them when I was younger. I'm trying to regrow the section from the arch to the end (there aren't many hairs there anymore). I've been using it every night for the last 2 weeks and I will say this definitely works. The scent doesn't bother me. I have acne prone skin/combination, and I haven't broken out at all where I've applied this. I can't wait to see how my eyebrows turn out with continued use. Worth the price, it only cost me five dollars for a large bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Hellany

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this for a couple things. Eyebrows and eyelashes to condition them. I mix it with coconut oil and henna and leave it in overnight and it makes my hair so soft. Oh and as a sore muscle rub! Massage it in and let it sit for a while then rinse off.

Oh and dry hands and feet too. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 7:22:00 AM More reviews by vaigai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Indian people use castor oil traditionally for all kinds of things - for my grandmas, this stuff (along with turmeric, coconut oil, hibiscus powder, henna and sandalwood) was a beauty staple!

Makeup remover: removes even the most stubborn water-proof stuff. I use it to remove super stay-put oil-based stage makeup for dance.

Goo gone: Seriously, it works. Obviously use with discretion (its an oil.. it stains) but on glassware and ceramics, works amazingly well and relatively non-toxic [read the ingredients on real 'goo gone' - all kinds of volatile organic compounds]

Hair: Castor oil is THICK. If you read the ingredients of most hair spray, leave-in conditioners, settings sprays - they all have hydrogenated castor oil.. but they use it with powerful emulsifiers. I use this stuff sometimes like argan oil - just run a tiny bit on my ends and to smooth out flyaways, but too much gets greasy FAST. Also it is sticky.

Skin: I used the OCM a few times, but not enough to really make a habit or notice a difference. My skin is complicated, so I stay away from fads. This stuff is GOLD for ragged cuticles and ultra dry skin though. I also use it on the corners of my mouth when they crack or my lips when they get bad wind-burn (I walk outside a lot, Canada is cold :D)

Eyes: MONEY! I don't use this on my brows (breaks me out), and occasionally use it on my lashes instead of mascara (my lashes are long-ish), but the real magic here is a weird use..I have chronic, really bad dry eye. Can't wear contact lenses anymore, eyes are always red, bad night vision, tons of cornea infections.. :( My grandma suggested that I use "traditional" kajal (home-made black eyeliner) on the waterline to improve my vision. Sounds like BS right? I looked into it, and dry eye is caused by blockage of the Meibomian glands near the waterline...Traditional kajal is made with "castor oil soot" from lamps and..castor oil, which is a lubricating lipid. I started spreading castor oil (a tiny drop from a bottle only used for eyes, always with clean hands) on my waterline after wearing contacts, or just every day. My eyes are much less dry, less red, less irritated and I'm noticing a huge difference. I use organic, cold-pressed, double filtered castor oil.. and obviously YMMV and there is a risk of infection. But if you think about it, we all think nothing of putting eyeliner on our waterlines.. so why not castor oil.

Bottom line: THIS STUFF IS AMAZING, a multi-use product, ~$5 if you buy non-organic from any 'ethnic' grocery store or the drug store, and is worth every penny.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried this several times in cleansing oil mixes at different ratios and it clogs my pores, breaks me out and irritates my eyes. It works great for some but I won't try it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by hopetonou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do this and just having the conditioning of the oil helps with brittle lashes and even brows. Do it and see what happens.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Caitlin99

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have been using castor oil everyday on my eyebrows and eyelashes and even in my shampoo. It's really made a difference in the length of my eyelashes and the thickness of my eyebrows but I'm not sure if it did anything about my hair length yet