November 23, 2014 | 2124 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2014 7:30:00 PM More reviews by neontom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Where I come from, they say: Castor oil for Hairs and Lashes (to grow faster), Almond oil (sweet) for Brows and Hairs (to grow new hairs!).. Almond oil is not good on eyes anyway.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by futuredermeditor

Castor oil is 90% ricinoleic acid, which has skin smoothing and moisturizing properties.

I'm not a huge fan of castor oil for the eyebrows. I think it's better for cleansing, though that too has its detriments: https://www.futurederm.com/2011/07/29/does-the-oil-cleansing-method-work-the-friendly-friday-qa-post/

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by xDevochkax

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have mixed feelings about castor oil in general, but since this is a review for using it on the brows, I'll keep it at that. About a month ago I was using this on my brows religiously every night for about 3 weeks, so it's safe to say I've formed a pretty solid opinion.

From my experience it seems like it moreso makes brow hairs longer rather than fuller. The length of my brow hairs is not my issue; they're long enough. My brows aren't extremely sparse, but they're sparse enough to have to use more products than I care to (pencil, powder, and tinted brow gel) to make them look decent. I think it MAYBE could have helped grow back overplucked areas slightly more quickly, but that could just be a placebo effect.

In a nutshell: If your brow hairs are too short, I think castor oil will help. If you want your brows to be more full, you'll probably be disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by krysownzu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I purchased a bottle of this at the Vitamin Shoppe after reading reviews here where people stated this helps to grow eyebrows back. Mine are in rough shape because I ruined them when I was younger. I'm trying to regrow the section from the arch to the end (there aren't many hairs there anymore). I've been using it every night for the last 2 weeks and I will say this definitely works. The scent doesn't bother me. I have acne prone skin/combination, and I haven't broken out at all where I've applied this. I can't wait to see how my eyebrows turn out with continued use. Worth the price, it only cost me five dollars for a large bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Hellany

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this for a couple things. Eyebrows and eyelashes to condition them. I mix it with coconut oil and henna and leave it in overnight and it makes my hair so soft. Oh and as a sore muscle rub! Massage it in and let it sit for a while then rinse off.

Oh and dry hands and feet too. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 7:22:00 AM More reviews by vaigai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Indian people use castor oil traditionally for all kinds of things - for my grandmas, this stuff (along with turmeric, coconut oil, hibiscus powder, henna and sandalwood) was a beauty staple!

Makeup remover: removes even the most stubborn water-proof stuff. I use it to remove super stay-put oil-based stage makeup for dance.

Goo gone: Seriously, it works. Obviously use with discretion (its an oil.. it stains) but on glassware and ceramics, works amazingly well and relatively non-toxic [read the ingredients on real 'goo gone' - all kinds of volatile organic compounds]

Hair: Castor oil is THICK. If you read the ingredients of most hair spray, leave-in conditioners, settings sprays - they all have hydrogenated castor oil.. but they use it with powerful emulsifiers. I use this stuff sometimes like argan oil - just run a tiny bit on my ends and to smooth out flyaways, but too much gets greasy FAST. Also it is sticky.

Skin: I used the OCM a few times, but not enough to really make a habit or notice a difference. My skin is complicated, so I stay away from fads. This stuff is GOLD for ragged cuticles and ultra dry skin though. I also use it on the corners of my mouth when they crack or my lips when they get bad wind-burn (I walk outside a lot, Canada is cold :D)

Eyes: MONEY! I don't use this on my brows (breaks me out), and occasionally use it on my lashes instead of mascara (my lashes are long-ish), but the real magic here is a weird use..I have chronic, really bad dry eye. Can't wear contact lenses anymore, eyes are always red, bad night vision, tons of cornea infections.. :( My grandma suggested that I use "traditional" kajal (home-made black eyeliner) on the waterline to improve my vision. Sounds like BS right? I looked into it, and dry eye is caused by blockage of the Meibomian glands near the waterline...Traditional kajal is made with "castor oil soot" from lamps and..castor oil, which is a lubricating lipid. I started spreading castor oil (a tiny drop from a bottle only used for eyes, always with clean hands) on my waterline after wearing contacts, or just every day. My eyes are much less dry, less red, less irritated and I'm noticing a huge difference. I use organic, cold-pressed, double filtered castor oil.. and obviously YMMV and there is a risk of infection. But if you think about it, we all think nothing of putting eyeliner on our waterlines.. so why not castor oil.

Bottom line: THIS STUFF IS AMAZING, a multi-use product, ~$5 if you buy non-organic from any 'ethnic' grocery store or the drug store, and is worth every penny.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2014 9:44:00 AM More reviews by hwnpunch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried this several times in cleansing oil mixes at different ratios and it clogs my pores, breaks me out and irritates my eyes. It works great for some but I won't try it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by hopetonou

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do this and just having the conditioning of the oil helps with brittle lashes and even brows. Do it and see what happens.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Caitlin99

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have been using castor oil everyday on my eyebrows and eyelashes and even in my shampoo. It's really made a difference in the length of my eyelashes and the thickness of my eyebrows but I'm not sure if it did anything about my hair length yet

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2014 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Josie012

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Using castor oil has made my eyebrows seem thicker, but I don't like that it's smell can be overpowering and that it's very thick. I've stopped using castor oil for a couple of weeks now, and I've noticed that my eyebrows have returned to how they were before. I don't like that I have to use this all the time to see results, and that the results aren't lasting.