Castor Oil

4.3

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 6/30/2015 1:49:00 PM

I've been using this for my sparse eyebrows for over a month and I see a difference but it doesn't seem very significant. I have stopped plucking except the necessary stray hairs here and there. I've quit trying to sculpt them while I use this. My brows are sparse with scarring FYI. The scars won't fill in but I do see some hair growth in the sparse parts. I don't think this is something that will give instant result, so just be aware of that. Maybe after a few more months maybe I'll have the desired results, fingers crossed.
Also, this is not like other oils, this is thick and sticky. Which is good because it doesn't run down my face. IF you want to use this for hair please get the PURE or UNREFINED. And also, COLD PRESSED.

on 6/27/2015 5:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This is a review for Now Foods Castor Oil.

I decided to try this oil after reading a lot of reviews from all over the web.

I wanted to try this for my hair cos my hair is in a bad state from the multiple chemical abuse I've put thru it. My hair is very dry and I think it has stopped growing. It's currently around my upper waist and I've been on biotin for the last 2 yrs and a yr of l-cystein and I suppose it has plateau off. I also trim my hair every 6mths.

The consistency is thick and sticky. I've used it for abt a week. I use 2 drops on my thick toweled dried hair ( I don't think it's thick, but my hairdresser said I have thick hair) after i shampooed and conditioned. When I go to bed, it's still slightly wet but when i comb out in the morning, it's all absorbed and my hair looks healthy and has a healthy shine to it.

I've tried it as a hair mask twice, by oiling the scalp with only castor oil and left it on for 4-6hrs. I noticed I shed a lot more after shampooing it off when I oil my scalp.

The next day when I shampoo my hair, I noticed I didn't shed as much. Maybe 10 strands? When I brush my hair after the wash and also the next day, i find significantly less hair shed on the brush.

The second time I mixed it with sunflower oil 1:1. I noticed a lot of shedding too and next day I didn't find any reduction of hair fall from the other days.

I also use this as a nighttime oil on my face.

I'm 36 but I look like I'm probably 25-28yrs old. I have a good skincare routine and I've tried many kinds of oils on my face (clarins' orchidee oil and lotus oil, Sisley's black rise oil, Argan oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, etc). All of them broke me out but castor oil did not. I used 3drops on my face at night on top on the existing creams I use and leave it to be absorbed. When I wake up in the morning my face is well moisturized and nourished. The fine lines under my eyes and the dehydration lines that are starting to show are also more plumped up.

I've not seen any increased in density or length in my lashes or eyebrows yet since it's just been a week but the castor oil didn't give me any problems when I use them around my eyes.

on 6/24/2015 5:10:00 AM

Didn't see any difference in growth rate as a hair mask. Used this for a month. Honestly, just makes it softer but many oils will do that. I penetrated the scalp with it (+a barrier almond oil) upside down many times with inversion method (God, I am desperate to grow out this bad cut!) but it didn't really work. If I needed a hair mask for silkiness than this is an option, but I'd hoped for accelerated growth, which definitely didn't happen.

Also, I stupidly decided to use it on my lashes. Not like they're short or particularly sparse, I just wanted to see. I did it for 5 days and ended up with clogged eyelash follicles and swollen eyelids. I can't believe people on here recommend this for eyelashes when it is SO dangerous. Don't understand how I'm only one of the few to get an infection from this. Beware!

on 6/24/2015 12:26:00 AM

In all honesty, maybe overtime and excessive use of this oil will contribute a noticable outcome, but as for me using it religiously on my hair for months as masks, I cannot say I see a difference. I don't want to be a buzzkill but I suggest that if go through a commitment like this, purchase something that will guarantee success for your hair. Hope this helps.

on 6/19/2015 10:09:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I read so much on the internet about this oil and I can say : It really helped me to thick and grow my eyelashes.
I simply use an old washed out mascara and apply the oil on my eyelashes every night before I go to bed.

on 6/11/2015 5:56:00 PM

I have mixed feelings about Castor Oil. I have used it for eyelash/eyebrow growth, dry areas of skin on my body and also on skin boils. I think it might be the consistency of it, since it is such a thick oil, or maybe my sensitive skin, but I have never been super impressed with it. It does help my eyebrows grow some, but I had to stop using it on my eyelashes, as it kept giving me small acne like bumps on my lids and under eyes, not milia, almost like clogged pores or styes. It didn't seem to make a difference for dry spots on my body, unless I mixed it with other moisturizing ingredients and as far as my skin boils, that was just a nightmare. It made it worse instead of better, but everyone is different. I do not dislike it, but I also do not love it either. I might repurchase in the future if needed, but I will probably just stick to my Jojoba and Coconut Oils instead.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Castor Oil is one of the thicker oils out there. I used it on the rough skin on my feet, elbows etc but I just find that you really cant use this unless youre going to bed because its just so thick.. I didnt really see much of a difference in the major dry areas of my body so the pros dont weighout the cons enough for me to repurchase it again.

on 6/1/2015 11:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This stuff stings like hell if you get it in your eyes so I haven't been able to use it for eyelash growth but I have used it and loved it on my brows. It feels sticky like honey but once you get past that it's alright.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I LOVE Castor Oil! I add this to my DIY body butters, I use it on my eye lashes and as a night time eye cream and it has done wonders for my eye area (which is really really dry for some reason). I also use it on my hair before washing, and on the ends of my hair when I twist it at night. This product is amazing, its cheap, you can get it from anywhere (currently I just the Jamaican Black Castor Oil with Coconut Oil, love it). I recommend for all types of uses. It is also amazing on scars that you are trying to get rid of. It is also a natural anti-bacterial. I am a woman that completely waxes her nether regions and I apply castor oil at night to keep the skin down there soft and germ free, it absorbs into the skin and it really has helped keep the skin down there clear and bright (darker skinned women sometimes get hyper pigmentation down there).

I had high hopes, but this really did the opposite of growing hair on me. I spent two weeks trying to use this to grow my eyelashes, but eventually i had to accept it was just causing them to fall out without regrowth.
If you want something that really works, but hurts like a mofo if it gets in your eye, try Neem oil. My lashes grew back like crazy in days.

Popular Brows Products