Hesh Shikakai Powder

4.4

on 2/2/2015 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This powder definitely has a learning curve but once you find a method that works for you it's MAGIC!
On my curly hair what I do is:
Using a glass jug, I add a bit of Hesh amla powder(i just eyeball), then i add approximately HALF the amount of shikakai (very key!), If I have any powders i'll add them in but usually these two are enough. I then cover my mix with boiling water, leave it on the counter overnight. The next day, the powder has settled at the bottom & there's a clear liquid at the top. I carefully pour JUST the liquid at the top of the jug into my spray bottle.
I deep condtition, co wash my hair as usual, then rinse clean. I then spray the shikakai mix all over my hair & scalp. Leave it to sit while I clean myself then rinse with cool water. I style as usual & my hair feels strong & is so soft & shiny it's unreal. This method works every time & this powder has become a staple in my regimen.

on 1/8/2015 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

For reference, I have virgin stereotypical straight Asian hair. I tried a single box of this which lasted me about 5 washings over the span of 2 weeks with hair a couple inches past my shoulders. I thought it was on the expensive side compared to the normal drugstore options I use but admittedly I'm also not used to spending very much on shampoo as I don't have any special hair care needs.

I saw some mention of this on a forum, and the idea of mixing loose powder with water into a paste to wash my hair sounded interesting. I was pleased to find it cleansed my hair effectively since I did have some apprehensions when I was smearing the paste into my hair. It was easy enough to use (albeit a different experience than a lather-rich shampoo with sulfates). My hair felt soft as if I used conditioner when I hadn't and it wasn't especially tangle-prone.

It is more of a process than my regular hair routine and isn't quite as portable (it comes in a non-resealable bag inside the box so I needed to find a different leak-proof container for it). I haven't repurchased as it didn't do anything for my hair that a cheaper and faster option hasn't done. I believe it's supposed to be gentler for dyed hair though so it may be worth it for someone else.

Overall, I enjoyed trying out this shikakai powder but it didn't offer my hair anything special to prompt a repurchase.

on 1/2/2015 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I LOVE this product. I have naturally kinky curly hair (4a) and I find this feels really great on my scalp. My hair feels clean after and not stripped. I usually mix it with other powders; henna (sometimes), alma, hibiscus powder. I'd highly recommend it for any hair type.

on 1/2/2015 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I love washing my hair with shikakai and rose petal powder, especially after oiling my hair. When you use regular shampoo to try and remove hair oil you won't get it out cleanly and you may end up washing twice. This negates the purpose of oiling your hair and scalp.
Using shikakai and following with a ACV rinse gives me fresh, bouncy hair. That's a great thing because in 2009 I lost alot of hair on the right side of my head (Lupus related) and shikakai has been helping those fine fragile hairs grow back thick and dark :)

I've never been tempted to use Shikakai as a paste - I find rinsing with it in place of conventional shampoo is far easier, quicker (you only work it in/leave it for five minutes before rinsing) and less messy to apply, once you've actually made the shampoo solution. The only reason I don't use it to shampoo with at the moment is because I already have a plethora of bottles with various homemade concoctions taking up space in my bathroom and fridge. But once I need some more shampoo I'll make up a batch of this baby, either with or without Aritha/Reetha and decant into 500ml bottles to use once or twice a week after oiling (I stand the bottle in very warm water before using it). If you have particularly greasy hair or a problematic scalp this is a tried and tested remedy and Hesh is a good brand and very good value. I still use conventional shampoos if I'm absolutely pushed for time but I find using my homemade potion in conjunction with oils leaves my hair a lot softer, less tangled and therefore in less need of conditioner. It also has bounce and shine that I usually need to use product to achieve. I'm not sure about build-up or scalp itch as I rotate my shampoos slightly so I don't get any, so I think alternating it with other shampoos would avoid these problems. Try the extremely pungent Ancient Formulae Shikakai oil too if you want your hair to grow extremely fast and don't mind mineral oil.

on 12/6/2013 1:19:00 PM

Hi everyone! I would like to review this herb, which I've been using for two months now for cleaning my hair and scalp. I must say I've tried many different shampoos and I was never completely satisfied with how my hair looked after washing. I have medium long, dark blonde, dry, thick hair with split ends. I try to avoid using silicones to treat split ends because I believe that they just make hair look silky, but do not repair damaged hair and do not solve the problem. Ok, recently I started using Shikakai powder in combination with Brahmi and Amla powders from Hesh. I soak them in Hibiscus 'tea', which is a great cleaner and conditioner for hair (dont worry it doesnt colour blond hair, at least it didn't do it on mine) and I don't make a paste, but rather a solution, which I then rub on my scalp and spread over my entire head and hair. Then I cover my hair with plastic wrap and a towel and leave for at least half an hour, max. 1 hour. Then I wash the powder off and my hair feel immediately silky and smooth. The Brahmi powder has a cooling effect on my scalp and in the same time it stimmulated hair follicles, my hair grow much faster now, like 2cm per month. This mixture cleans really well, even if I apply oils on the ends (I prefer almond and avocado oils mix). In addition, these herbs treat split ends problem! I dont need to use oil masks anymore, my hair do not feel dry, the became denser and more controllable :) I am really happy with how my hair look now. I even feel that I dont need to wash them so often, my scalp doesnt get oily do fast. Great results and I dont even mind to spend time applying it and washing the bathroom after the application, because it works for me.

on 6/21/2012 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hi, Shikakai powder is really great alternative. For non-messy use, you can boil it (preferably along with amla and ritha powder), drain, and use that water to wash your hair. Amla gives strength and ritha gives lather like shampoo.

on 9/21/2011 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

I love shikakai.
The only shikakai we get here is Hesh at the Indian grocery store. It is sort of expensive for the quantity but the end result is good, not wonderful. The hair is left shiny and with an earthy scent. The shower needs to be cleaned to remove the shikakai remnants, but that is a quick task.

Now that I have brought shikakai (1 lb) which has rose petals, vetiver powder, sandalwood and harsingar, amongst a zillion other ingredients, I won't be needing to use Hesh shikakai again. A shikakai hair bath is a treat...on weekends!

on 3/9/2011 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

To use shikakai powder, you can mix it with enough water to make a paste. Then work it through your hair and rinse. My results were beautiful. Soft, smooth, and clean hair. The powder didn't affect my blonde hair.

I picked this stuff up at an Indian grocery for $2.99. My first box only lasted 4 washings! But I've learned to ration it and it now lasts a few weeks. I typically wash my hair every 2-3 days.

However, I seem to have a reaction to this stuff now, which is strange because I'm not allergic to anything. It is painful to get in your eyes. Please take care when rinsing. My eyes turn red and itchy. My scalp feels itchy and my nose is runny after using it. I used to love shikakai, but now I am not sure if I would use it again because it seems to irritate me. continued >>

on 7/12/2010 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love this stuff! just oil your hair about an hour before hand, then you can mix a bit of this powder to the consistency of a normal shampoo then distribute on a wetted scalp. i actually mix my powder with some henna to make it last longer since in the u.s. it's like 2 dollars for so little. it works very well and adds tremendous shine. i use neha herbal henna powder. anyways, i dont use any shampoo anymore. my mother used to use shikakai when she was a kid in india and she had a marvelous mane! this is good pure quality stuff, some sketchy shikakai powders aren't pure...no worries here!