April 20, 2014 | 1458 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ulta - Professional Series Stippling Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 1/15/2011 5:17:00 AM More reviews by jadukdik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

man this brush shreds like crazy! i've been using it everytime i apply foundation for 4 months now and it still shreds. i wash it regularly and it dries so fast - but that doesnt help with shredding at all. but this makes the foundation application soooo easy and fast! it doesnt leave streaks or anything like that and it blends so well. i will stick with it for a while but in the future i think i'll try sigma ones

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2010 10:32:00 AM More reviews by blueroses2525

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is my first stippling brush so I don't have any basis for comparison, but overall, I'm satisfied with it. It does an good job of applying my Colorstay foundation. While I don't quite see the "airbrushed" look, it still looks okay and avoids the streaky look that flat-paddle foundation brushes can leave. I deducted one lippie because of the shedding. I have to pluck at least 4-5 bristles off my face each time I use it. Still, it's a good brush at a moderate price.

UPDATE 12/20/10: I returned it. Way too many hairs shedding all over my face. I tried the e.l.f. powder brush instead and got much, much better results for a lot less money!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2010 1:50:00 PM More reviews by angel411

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Nice brush. I paid $26 for this at ulta and they gave me two free nail polishes as gift with purchase. This is my only stippling bursh so I have no others to compare to. So far it does a nice job of face that fingers or foundation brush can not do. I wouldn't say it looks airbrushed, like other users claim, but it's more natural looking than a foundation brush, probably because it uses less product. It does shed....Been using it for about a week and I'm still picking hairs off my face.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2010 12:30:00 AM More reviews by pquiles

Got this ULTA Stippling brush because I wanted a dupe to the MAC 187. After doing some research saw that there were complaints about shedding/fallout, but those were the same complaints that users had w/ the MAC as well, so I figured I'd get the less expensive of the 2. PLUS they were included in tthe buy 2 get 2 free sale. Well,.... I used it to apply my NARS sheer matte foundation and firming foundation. Lots of hair came out, and I spent a lot of time picking them off my face, but boy oh boy... my foundation looked great. I've only used it 2 days now, but I felt I could deal with the shedding and purchased another one as a back up and for my NARS blushes or when one is dirty. Overall, I really like the brush, but I'm taking a lippie out for excessive shedding.
Update: Not the best applicator for blushes.. Doesn't pick up color as I'd like, had to keep dipping my brush. I will keep the 2nd one I purchase as a back up foundation brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by souplada79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UGH! I'm so mad I bought this AFTER forking over $42 bucks for the famous MAC 187. Don't get me wrong. The MAC 187 is a great brush, but not for stippling foundation. I found the bristles on the MAC 187 a little too soft to really buff the liquid foundation in. I end up with a lot of streaks that I need to fix.
This, however, is PERFECT. Same concept as the MAC 187, but the bristles are more dense and a little bit firmer. And it makes stippling liquid foundation so much easier and better. Less streaking for me with the Ulta brush. I actually gave my MAC 187 away to my sister because it's just taking room in my bag.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/12/2010 6:00:00 PM More reviews by taharrell

You know, I wish I could like this brush but I am exceedingly tired of plucking hairs off my face when I use it. It does a great job at stippling but it sheds and sheds and sheds. I keep trying to make it work for blushes and powders however, the "hairs-all-over-the-face arrgh" factor just makes me shove it to the back of my makeup drawer again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2009 7:03:00 PM More reviews by kimnn16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i wouldn't buy this again, not because its a terrible brush but because i feel like i don't need it. i feel like when i use the flat foundation brush it seems to apply much better for me than this. when i first bought it, i had no shedding and was grateful i bought the one that didn't shed. however, as i kept using it and as i kept washing it.. it now begins to shed. i've used this with blush, powder, and liquid foundation and i feel like for blush its not even(because its not a blush brush but hey its always good to experiment!), powder sometimes worked great for me with this, liquid foundation i sometimes would get an even app but overall, i'll stick to the flatter brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2009 12:51:00 AM More reviews by christianadivine

Let me start off by saying that I have stippling brushes from SEVERAL companies. I have MAC's full size, MAC's SE, Sigma Makeup's SS187, Coastal Scents' Fiber Optic, Adorned with Grace Minerals' Ingenue Large Dual Fiber, and this one.

Now, this brush in comparison to MAC's full size 187 is that this brush is actually a tad denser, thus giving you more a "pushback" and giving you more control when you stipple on foundation. Though the white bristles are not as soft as MAC's bristles. The Ulta brushes bristles aren't all that rough, but they have the least softest white bristles in comparison to all of my other stippling brushes.

This brush in comparison to Sigma Makeup's SS187 is denser as well, meaning that the "pushback" is better with this brush once again. It appears to have a tad more white fibers than the Sigma one as well. However, the Sigma SS187 has softer bristles than the Ulta one as well.

Coastal Scents' Fiber Optic is utter crap. It's not good for ANYTHING. It's too big for blush, too soft for foundation... it's just a waste of money so I'm not even going to compare it because it's not worth comparing. Just SAVE your money for a brush that is WORTH it.

The Adorned with Grace Minerals Dual Fiber is just as dense as this brush but I feel that the Ulta one has a tad more "pushback" than the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO. BUT the Adorned with Grace Minerals Dual Fiber has SOFTER white fibers than the Ulta one.

All in all, my least favorite brush (excluding the coastal scents one, because I regret ever buying that brush) is the Sigma SS187. Don't get me wrong, it's a good quality brush, I just personally prefer a little more "pushback" in my FO's since I use them to apply liquid foundation in a stippling motion. My second least favorite is my MAC (both full size & SE). My favorites would honestly have to be a tie between my Adorned with Grace Minerals Large Dual Fiber and this brush.

They both have the density that I prefer for stippling foundation and are significantly cheaper than the MAC one, which after I got it, kinda wondered why everyone thinks it's the best one.

This is just my opinion. I'm not saying the MAC one is bad, because it's NOT. It's just not worth $42 in my opinion. =P

For blushes I prefer a SMALLER fiber optic and for that I prefer my Sigma Makeup SS188. =] But if you like using the full size Dual Fibers for pigmented blush, I'd recommend the Sigma SS187 because it's "loose" enough to give you an light application and airbrush finish. Like I said, I just prefer a brush that's a tad more densely packed and has more "pushback" for liquid foundation application.

As far as shedding and bleeding goes during washing, they all bled and shed about the same. I will note that the Adorned with Grace mineral brush shed/bled the most out of all of them, BUT these type of brushes have a break in period. It will take a washing or two before the shedding and bleeding stops. That's why you always wash brushes before using them! =]

So if you're trying to figure out what to get, I'll break it down for you so that you can figure out what you want.

MAC 187 ($42: not including tax or shipping should you order it online) - Averagely Dense, VERY soft bristles. IMHO, not worth the $42 that it costs. =P

Adorned with Grace Minerals Large Dual Fiber ($13.59 the price includes shipping & tax if you're in the US) - VERY dense, VERY soft bristles BUT bled and shed more than the other FO's. After it's broken in though, no problems.

Sigma Makeup SS187 ($16.00 NOT including shipping and taxes) - Averagely Dense (I'd say about the same density as MAC's or a TINY bit less), VERY soft bristles. I feel this brush works better for applying products such as bronzer, blush, MSF's, highlighting colors, etc. I don't really like this brush all that much for liquid foundation application.

Ulta Highlighting Brush ($26.00 NOT including shipping and taxes BUT this brush goes on sale ALOT and they usually have a buy one get one half off sale. It's a STEAL if you get it during one of those special offers.) VERY dense, averagely soft bristles. My preferred brush for liquid foundation application. Then again, the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO does just as good a job but with softer bristles AND a cheaper price tag. Just mind you the Adorned with Grace Minerals FO does take a bit longer to break in than the rest of the brushes, but once you break it in, it works like a dream. =]

I also wanted to note that I've used and abused my Ulta brush for the past year and it still looks brand new. It's constructed VERY well. =]

So that's my opinion of this brush in comparison to the other FO's I own. =]

In the end, I get the same outcomes with my MAC, Ulta, & AwG Minerals brushes... the latter two being a tad easier & faster to use since they have more pushback thus giving me more control. =] None the less, the same outcome. =] To be honest, it's all about personal preference and what YOU want your brush to do for you AND what you can afford. =] I hope this comparison was helpful.

I also wanted to note that NONE of these brushes get a 5 from me because they each have things about them that I like and dislike. But my two personal favorites for both performance and value would probably be my Ulta one and my AwG minerals one. =]

29 out of 30 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2009 7:11:00 PM More reviews by xjslx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

awesome brush, of course i want the 187 but that thing is just wayyyyy too expensive, and this seems to do the trick for me in terms of foundation -- the outcome of stippling on my foundation with this brush is flawless.. i honestly don't need the 187 now, but would like to get it just so i can say that i have it (hehe).

in terms of applying my MSF's however i think my contouring brush does a better job... not sure if it's just stippling brushes in general or just specifically this Ulta one (b/c MUA swears that the 187 applies MSF's like a dream), but i feel that when applying MSF with this brush i can barely see it on my face? =/

got this brush for $20 w/ my 20% off coupon -- great investment, i've washed it several times now and it hasn't shed at all (at least not that i've noticed!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2009 1:45:00 PM More reviews by groovinchic

UPDATE: I have been switching this between my blush, bronzer and foundation (1 week each and then I wash) and guess what - I love this better than the MAC for each. I promise I don't work at Ulta (in fact I really don't like shopping there) but I can't deny that I heart this brush more than any of my others.

OLD: This is amazing and just as good - if not better - than the MAC 187 for me. The bristles are just a tad firmer on my Ulta brush than the MAC. I've been using it for blush. It gives me an unbelievable glow rather than a harsh line of color. In fact, I've kicked the MAC 188 to the curb because this works so well. I haven't tried it with foundation, but I'm assuming that since the bristles are firm that it would totally rock.

Even better - I bought this when the ulta brushes were BOGO 1/2 off. So I bought one for a friend. I ended up getting two of these for less than the price of ONE MAC brush. I think I'll keep my eye out for this sale and next time buy more for my other friends who've never used a skunk, kinda a stippling brush outreach program, I guess.