July 22, 2014 | 1718 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Sukin - Hydrating Body Lotion

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2014 7:59:00 AM More reviews by modernhippie91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this lotion! I used to use products with petroleum and all sorts of synthetic chemicals in it so switching to this all natural product was a bit difficult for my skin to get used to. But after a couple of weeks of twice daily application my skin adapted to the different level of moisture and everything's great! Sometimes my legs need an extra application but that's just normal for my skin and not really reflective of the product. I love that the smell doesn't stick to your skin all day and that it absorbs quickly.
It's great to know that not only are you looking after your skin but that you're protecting yourself from nasty chemicals.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 10:50:00 PM More reviews by Lilypily93

Leaves my skin looking healthy and beautiful again

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 2:55:00 AM More reviews by teleah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Pregnant with my second child, my skin has been dry and itchy. All the recommended lotions and creams for pregnancy leave a film on my skin that makes me uncomfortable. I found the sukin brand at my local chemist and on a whim gave it a go. I picked up the body lotion and a few other pieces and im in love. On dry skin its absorbs really easy so best on damp warm skin straight out of shower or bath. Smells like the incense/candle shop I frequent and no oily greasy film left on skin. Im soft and smooth, itch free and I can dress quickly without rubbing off on clothing. Love love love. Cost was $12.95 for a 250ml pump bottle that is in my opinion is nice looking and im happy to have on my bathroom counter for anyone to see. Now waiting for next pay day to buy more of the sukin range.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2013 12:54:00 AM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm using my second bottle and its lovely.

- smells devine... a natural fragrance that is non perfumy
- non greasy and moisturizing
- inexpensive
- good ingredients
- no parabens or petrochemicals/mineral oil
- comes with a pump

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2012 8:31:00 AM More reviews by AnhLe

It is a great product. The smell is so nice. Doesn't feel greasy at all. Suitable for everyday use.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2012 12:08:00 AM More reviews by Prettyvisitors

I'm picky with my body lotions. I try moisturise my whole body every day, but I prefer to avoid mineral oil on my skin because I'm paranoid. For a long while I used just almond oil or olive oil, but i found that almond oil almost left a cracked film on my skin (I guess mineral oil would do the same), and I started getting lazy with oils by the time I switched to olive oil. Its not the cheapest product, but its really not that expensive. Plus, its hard to find a cheaper moisturiser that actually works. I like the texture, it hydrates, it isn't greasy, the smell is fine, and its works. Plus, if you get a bigger bottle, the price drops a decent amount.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2012 7:04:00 AM More reviews by an0uck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Update 2014_______________________________________________________

This is the only review I have done that has recieved down-votes.

As you can see from my other reviews, I buy a product, review it, and come back after using it for some length of time. As you can see for this product, I have used it 3 times (500ml bottles) and given a proper review (not just one sentence).

So I think maybe I have not been clear enough in saying why I dislike this. I will now try to be more clear.

1) This is not an effective moisturiser.
- The first ingredient is water. Now, many moisturisers begin with water as an ingredient, but need to have other ingredients that draw moisture into the skin. The second ingredient, aloe vera, is known as a water binding agent, but it is not effective as say, glycerin. Although it sounds chemical-ly, glycerin can be made naturally from plant and animal fats. So the reason why myself and a few other low-raters find this to be 'not that great for dry skin', is because the formula isn't the most effective (ingredient 2) at drawing water (ingredient 1) into the skin. The glycerin that this does moisturiser contain is way down the ingredients list.

2) Possible harmful ingredients.
Does contain a smattering of antioxidants and fatty acids, but none of these are novel in terms of a moisturiser. You already know the benefits of Vitamin E, roship oil, etc - and these are found in many moisturisers. However, concerningly this does contain fragrant plant oils that may irritate the skin (the mandarin, tangerine, lavender oils). So for people with sensitive skin this is not really an ideal formula.

3) Unimpressive company/product range.
I have tried other Sukin products, and found they all smelled the same. I also tried Sukin whilst they still used "Papyrus" font on their products. My first question would be - why would you not just make all your products unscented instead of using volatile plant oils? Secondly - why do I want some terribly designed bottles/logos/etc, when there are many prettier and more effective moisturisers to choose from?
I also wrote an average review of this on the Sukin website, and it was deleted. So clearly the company isn't comfortable with having just average reviews of itself out there. This is understandable, but obviously its hardly illuminating for the consumer who actually wants a considered opinion of the product.

Hence I am moving this from 2 lippies to 1 lippie. This moisturiser is somewhat expensive (cheapest I found it was $13 for 500ml at Chemist Warehouse), is not particularly effective for dry skin (which I have), might cause discomfort to sensitive skin (which I have) due to fragrance, and is poorly marketed and designed in an increasingly competitive "natural products" market.

This moisturiser does not work for me, and I have tried to explain how it is unlikely to be a HG for anyone. On top of this, are you comfortable with Sukin's selective inclusion of reviews? I now buy elsewhere, and I'd suggest you do too.

Alternative moisturiser recc's for dry/sensitive skin:
Natural: Alba Botanica Very Emollient Lotion Unscented (no fragrance, good value, large pump pack)
Regular: La Roche Posay Lipikar Baume AP (contains ceramides and fatty acids, though is $$$)

Update 12/13___________________________________________________________
Not purchasing this again. Thought I was doing well because it was "all natural", but really, it wasn't helping my dry skin at all. I think you would have to have more of a normal to slightly-oily skin type to have a chance with this.

Very poor value. But so be fair, most products marketed as "natural" are. So I went online and got the Alba Botanica Unscented Lotion, and that was about $12 for a kilo. I would recommend Aussies to try that option, as we really don't have much else available to us.

Didn't have good results with the Sukin shampoo, and samples of other Sukin products demonstrated that they ALL have the same scent. I am starting to think the brand is a bit of a rip-off, as they seem to be aiming for a cheap and cheerful version of Aesop. Except they don't have nice fragrances or packaging or anything really to distinguish them.

So this moisturiser is now down to 2 lippies. It isn't greasy, sure, but it doesn't really do much moisturising for me either. It is packaged well also, but thats about it - it certainly doesn't look nice on your shelf. So I think give this one a miss. There really aren't many good Aussie natural brands that I have found, but if you go online there are meant tried and tested Euro and American natural companies.

OLD REVIEW:__________________________________________________________
I tend towards dry skin, and find this pretty effective as long as I'm moisturising regularly. It is quite creamy, and absorbs into the skin well.
(However I have had bad experiences with a Sukin shampoo, so I am only reccommending this specifically, I would not take the high rating on this to the entire range)

PROS:
* Lightly moisturising
* Very light lemongrassy scent. Not 'herbal', not at all strong
* Third time buying, will continue until anything better comes along (tried 1 250mL first, and then 2 500mL bottles)
* Natural / recyclable / carbon neutral

CONS:
* Whilst not ~too~ pricey, $20 for 500mL is a little bit much, and there aren't any other bigger sizes (however I got this at priceline who often do sales, so I got 20% off entire sukin range)
* Extremely plain packaging, and not in a 'cute minimal' sense (c'mon, papyrus script?)

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2012 6:53:00 AM More reviews by Shahz33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this product in the winter when my skin is a bit dry. It applies easily and gets absorbed completely. No shininess left behind . The smell is amazing (think Aveda-ish) even thought I don't generally like scented products. I used the Dr.Bronner cream before this that was effective but I like the results (and scent) from the Sukin cream much more.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2011 6:24:00 PM More reviews by Luminesque

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this lotion, it is my go to after every shower. It smells wonderful and really compliments the body wash from the same company. I apply this on damp skin and work it in well from my ankles to neck and then on my feet. It absorbs really well and a little goes a long way unless you are applying it to dry skin, you may need more for that. I also find myself using this after washing my hands and again on my hands at night before bed. I love the pump packaging, the product is natural and the packaging recyclable, the dark plastic protects the product essential oils and it is very inexpensive for an organic product. Also I have to add that it doesn't irritate my skin after sun exposure like some other natural ingredient products I have used in the past. I have been using this for 6 months and will continue to do so.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 3:49:00 AM More reviews by astiam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

one of the best organic body lotions that I have ever tried! It beats the expensive brand out there and it smells so so nice. It's extra hydrating as well and I know this because I have extra dry skin! I just wish it comes in a more travel-size packaging.