April 17, 2014 | 1873 users online

Cleansers - Everyday Minerals - Everyday African Soap

rated 2 of 5 on 4/1/2011 1:12:00 AM More reviews by sarah2202

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The brown lather irked me at first but I quickly got over it. The smell is earthy with a hint of tea tree.

I found this to be a bit too drying for my sensitive, acne-prone skin, although it was much less drying than other cleansers such as Clinique's mild liquid soap and Clean & Clear acne cleansers. I'm using this as a hand soap now and it works really well for that purpose. It lathers very easily and feel silky, and leaves my hands soft and clean. However it is marketed as a facial soap and I would not buy it again for that purpose. I will probably try African soap from a different brand in the future.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2008 9:11:00 AM More reviews by stiera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This soap was too drying for me. It felt like it gave me a deep-down clean, but afterwards my skin felt uncomfortably tight and was very flaky. I have very dry, sensitive skin to start with and this soap does not seem well-suited to dry skin. I gave it to my husband and he loved it though. His skin is normal, and he loved the cleaning power on this soap.

The scent was an earthy scent and this soap lathers up brown, which tends to make you feel very dirty! It lasts a long while if you keep it drained of water though. Overall I feel this soap is too stripping to be effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2008 1:35:00 PM More reviews by carolienhulshof

I love this soap! It is really so effective against acne! My oily skin feels nice and clean after I washed my face with this product. Maybe the smell takes a little getting used to, but once you've learned to appreciate that, it's lovely. It's all natural, effective, and very very cheap. I am not going to use another cleanser for my face EVER again!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2008 8:36:00 PM More reviews by PinkDagger

This product has been temporarily discontinued. :(

I love this soap. It gives me the squeakiest clean feeling any soap could ever give. Many people complain it's messy, but I've found as long as it's kept directly away from water and used sparingly when needed (not drenching it), the mess isn't so bad. I have a bowl specifically for it in my shower that I keep farthest from the shower head. When in use, it shows as a thin layer of muddy black translucent and slightly viscous liquid, but the effectiveness of the suds and how long they last make up for any "eww" factor that might have existed seconds before.

I do have acne-prone skin, but I have not been using this soap long enough to conclude on its effect on acne. I will update my review in the coming weeks. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2008 2:55:00 PM More reviews by krisfree_99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was very hopeful about this product as it proclaimed to treat acne-prone skin, which is something I suffer from on my back. I am a fan of EM and have been pleased with everything I have used so far. Unfortunately, after using the bar just a handful of times, it started to melt and lose it's shape, making it almost impossible to use. It has an ok scent and does an average job of cleansing, but I did not see any change in my acne. Overall this is ok for the low price, but I have stopped using and will not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2008 1:39:00 PM More reviews by blondeambitioned

I have been crazy about most of Everyday Minerals' stuff lately, especially their all-natural beauty bars, soaps, and lotions! This was one of the last products I tried.... mainly because I have very temperamental, oily, acne-prone skin that throws a temper tantrum every time I use a new skincare product. I have stuck to the same cleanser for years, in fear that anything else will make me break out. I thought I would give this a try since I am trying to move to all-natural products, and I am so glad I did! I thought that the claim that African Soap clears up breakouts is a myth (I've heard that said about many things) - but it's true!! I have been using this every morning and have not experienced ONE breakout. It also has helped relieve the itching with patches of eczema! For me, that's a very big deal! I am especially surprised because the soap gives you that 'sweaky clean' feeling (due to the glycerin, no doubt), which made me think that the natural oils were being stripped dry from my face and would cause me to break out worse... but that has not happened at all. I have been using this in the winter and have not felt that this has irritated or dried out my skin.

For $3.50 for a bar, you really should give it a try!! I am happy I did :)
Ingredients:
Black Soap powder, Saponified Olive Oil (Olea europaea oil), purified water, Palm oil (Elaeis guineensis oil), Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera oil), sodium hydroxide, Shea butter (Butyrospermum parkii oil), Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia oil), Eucalyptus Oil (Eucalyptus globulus oil), rosemary oleoresin extract (Rosmarinus officinalis oil), Lavender Essential Oil (Lavandula angustifolia oil), Honey, vegetable glycerin, Vitamin E (tocopherol)

continued >>