November 23, 2014 | 1659 users online

Sunscreen - Desert Essence - Age Reversal Pomegranate Mineral Sunscreen

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by TheEmpress

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I find this sunscreen to serve as a primer,concealor and brightener. My makeup stays matte and in place all day. More importantly, my skin can breath with this opposed to chemical sunscreens. Desert Essence is considered a PHYSICAL sunscreen. Yes.. it is super thick and I do wish it were a bit thinner. I usually use a small pea drop on my face. Yes...it goes on white. I gently work in into my face, neck, decollage and back of my hands. I usually pat dry with a paper towel after applying and wait 20-30 minutes before putting on makeup. I used CHEMICAL sunscreens until I finally wised-up. I also got tired of it running off my face the minute I started to sweat. Besides, I really believe chemical sunscreens intensifies hot flashes. Word to the wise: You absolutely must use a make-up remover to completely remove this screen or your pores will clog.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by liliesandsunshine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I want to love this product- the ingredient list is pretty impressive and it is a physical sunscreen (currently trying to avoid chemical sunscreens). However, this feels really heavy on my skin and I have to rub it in to get rid of the whitish cast. Also I have to wait for it to completely dry before I can put on makeup (or else end up with streaks). This is a pain since I'm always in a rush in the morning to get to work. I just finished this today and I will not be re-purchasing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 12:26:00 PM More reviews by gabiinchicago

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Pros: good protection, recommended by EWG, not chemical, doesn't irritate or sting, includes antioxidants, does not produce free radicals like the chemical sunscreens
Cons: too white for even most pale skins, very thick, accentuates every flake, some may dislike the natural scent

I have to dab on this product rather than rub it; otherwise, all my flakies appear. Also, I have to use a darker than normal powder to cover the white; otherwise, I think it would be great facial sunscreen for those who choose physical sunscreens, which I always do!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2011 5:03:00 PM More reviews by wildone

I bought this sunscreen to use at the beach. It is thick and whitening just like the burts bees sunscreen. It is very hard to rub in and it feels heavy and sticky on the skin. I will not buy this again and it is definitely not appropriate for everyday use. The minute my mom put it on her face she had a allergic reaction. she washed her face and had to use coppertone instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2011 4:05:00 PM More reviews by eddiecatt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a very good sunscreen to use on the body, but I find it a too white and thick to use on my face. It smells much better than Badger and is less greasy, but like Badger it is quite thick and rubbing it in feels like a workout in itself. Very nice to have handy as an all-mineral, all-natural sunblock, though; I would rate this a 5 except I feel it's just not suitable as a moisturizing sunscreen for the face.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2010 10:45:00 AM More reviews by MoonsIReflection

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for one year (before I joined MUA).Looking for a sunscreen that does not cause cancer,I came across this one on EWG:

I have extremlly fair skin,and I burn like an egg on tin foil in F100 degree weather!. (like the way I explaned that?,lol).So finding a sunscreen was very important to me,I use sunscreen 365 days a year.All I have to say about this product is THANK GOD!,this is gentle engough for my VERY sensitive skin that gets really iratated by using products with chemicals,this works for when I go in the sun,and protects my skin really well from getting burned.I love the ingredients in this.

Here's what the desert essence website says

"Desert Essence Organics Mineral Sunscreen protects your face and body from UVA and UVB exposure. May be applied underneath makeup. Great for adults and children.

• Vitamin E protects skin from the sun and reduces the
appearance of wrinkles.
• Grape Seed Extract helps prevent signs of aging.
• Pomegranate Extract supports healthy skin tone and texture.

Top Rated, Environmental Working Group’s Sunscreen Guide, 2010"

This product does what it says and I will continue to use this (DON'T DISCONTINUE THIS PLEASE!). =)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 1:12:00 AM More reviews by rtorres72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this sunscreen...protects my skin very well without making it greasy or irritated (the only sunscreen that I can say that about!). It does have a drier consistency, so you probably can't use it without a little moisturizer beneath. What works for me is to rub a little coconut oil into my skin while it's still damp, then immediately put on the sunscreen (just a small bit, less than dime-sized). it spreads easily, cuts the redness in my cheeks, and makes my skin look smoother/more even-toned, so that I don't even wear makeup most days.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2009 5:20:00 AM More reviews by dragonballz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had high hopes for this product as it is made from natural ingredients and I have had pleasant experiences with other products from Desert Essence. Well, everything started out great. That is until I realized the sandalwood essential oil was giving me a headache. The finish is also really nice compared to other mineral sunscreens. I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't have sinus or fragrance sensitivity issues.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2009 11:31:00 AM More reviews by jb417

I wanted to like this product as it had all that I was looking for-a sunscreen free of parabens, made with all natural ingredients -but sadly, my skin just did not like it-I broke out like a 15 yr old again!
UPDATE: I don't know what kind of allergic reaction this product caused because the initial breakout turned into a rash all over my face, going to dermatologist because it's not going away on its own even though I immediately stopped using this cream. I am beginning to suspect that I may be allergic to an ingredient(s) in sunscreens

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2009 11:11:00 PM More reviews by desha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love makeupalley because of the money I've saved. My reviews are positive because I tend to purchase products that receive good reviews. Desert Essence Age Reversal Sunscreen is a Grand Slam.

First, I'm African American and frankly, sunscreen is not high on my priority of things. I usually get by with whatever's in my moisturizer unless I plan an outdoor activity and then only in summer. But a couple of years ago, I read about a few cases of people of color in Panama getting skin cancer and I realized that I shouldn't take for granted my melanin since the ozone level is really messed up. And when I started using Alpha Hydroxy ResQ with Retinol, I decided I should be serious about a sunscreen. But I hate sunscreens. They're too oily mostly, if I wear one I can't wear a moisturizer and I love my moisturizer and hate when I can't wear it. I usually don't wear foundation in the summer unless it's an occasion for a polished look, but with sunscreen, I'm an oil slick before I leave the house in summer. And I have Normal/Dry skin.

But the reviews on this made me search it out and it's a winner. It's the first really matte sunscreen I've used. It doesn't feel heavy at all to me as someone else said. As far as a 'whitish cast,' nothing. Of course, I use the product sparingly, so maybe that's why. And I can wear my beloved Principal Secret Reclaim Daytime lotion or the Reclaim Mattifying Moisturizer, which I use during the summer.

The surprise about this sunscreen is that on me, it's almost like a primer. Although my pores aren't a neon sign, I do wish my t-zone was smoother. This product makes my skin look smoother than with a primer. I've already decided to use it this way even after summer is over when I wear foundation more.

I guess if you need to lather sunscreen on it might be problematic, but I still recommend trying it to find out because it's a clear cut winner. Very happy with this purchase.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No