September 3, 2014 | 1042 users online

Fragrances - Tauer - Incense Extreme

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 11:54:00 PM More reviews by innapark

This is a sensual yet elegant skin scent. With a name like Incense Extreme, I expected something loud with tons of sillage. However this resides quietly and tenaciously near the body. I am fascinated by Andy Tauer's signature openings that are scintillating or effervescent and seem to ride a vertical current straight up my nose. This opens with the same ride driven by a dry peppery petitgrain that lightens up the heaviness of the straight-on incense in the heart (which because of my background, conjures up Buddist temple moreso than Catholic church!). And from there you get the Tauer's ambergris base. Compared to other Tauer scents (Carillon pour un ange, Orange Star, Rose Incense, Lonestar Memories) this is not nearly as complex, but it retains that distinctive Tauer experimental sensibility. This is daily-wear, bottle-worthy.

Direct from the card:
HEAD NOTES: coriander with fresh pettitgrain.
HEART NOTES: A rich incense, softened with orris root.
BODY NOTES: Dry and vibrant woods over a rich ambergris base.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: coriander, petitgrain, iris, incense, cedarwood and ambergris.

This fragrance opens with a cold-as-steel incense note enveloped in a sheath of spices and citrus. At first the fragrance is bitter and cold; only gradually - and just partially - do coriander and petitgrain soften this austere first impression. However, the scent truly changes once cedar and iris emerge, it becomes warmer, drier and most of all woodsier. It remains light and airy reminding me of a desert wind at sundown. Like Lonestar Memories this is a fragrance mimicking the great outdoors. The last stages of the development are surprisingly sweet, but not as sweet as the dry down present in most of Tauer's offerings. Lasts for six hours on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2009 7:11:00 AM More reviews by fpih

For the first half hour, this is pure incense. For the next half hour, cedre is more prominent and the incense takes second place. After that, it's pure cedre all the way. And it lasts for hours and hours. For some reason, Tauer perfumes don't develop well on my skin. This is more cedre extreme than incense extreme IMO and not complex at all. Not what I was looking for.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2008 5:15:00 PM More reviews by DorothyEm

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After Andy's last lavender thing that I hated, I was afraid to try another one of his creations. I waited some time before I got a sample of this and now I regret the wait. Much as I love real incense and incense inspired perfumes, I was getting tired of just about all of the ones on the market. They seemed to have the same notes and if I was forced to do a blind test I probably would have failed miserably in distinguishing one from another. Tauer's stands out for me because it is very dry, severe and spare. I think another reviewer used the word "austere" and that fits, too. I wore some last night and could still smell it on my chest this morning, so the lasting power is wonderful. One of the things I like about the lack of warmth is just when I think it's faded, it wafts up and weaves around me, like incense smoke. For me it's a very private perfume. I was raised Catholic and no other incense perfume (including the CdG Incense series) besides this one has ever reminded me of the sombre, sacred odors issuing from the swinging, smoking censor used at high Masses. Wearing this one is a wonderful and satisfying sensory experience and Andy has indeed returned to his brilliant roots.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2008 8:16:00 PM More reviews by Dorothy_M

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2008 3:45:00 AM More reviews by dinazad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

In the Pyrenees, high up on the mountain, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but the odd prehistoric grave or the ruins of a few hovels and a tiny church anywhere near, there is the ruined monastery of San Pere de Rodes. An enormous, imposing complex of buildings nesting just under the mountain top (they had to remove part of the mountain and build up another part in order to create a flat place large enough for the monastery). The bare walls, the arcs, towers and vaults buffetted by the icy tramontana winds, the wild, bare landscape contrast sharply with the opulence of the sheer size of the place, the clarity and beauty of the view and fill you with awe. That's Incense Extreme: austere, cold and bare, opulent, shining and compelling. Beautiful.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2008 9:53:00 PM More reviews by CheriCheri

This scent begins with a sharp opening but quickly fades to cinnamon and rubber. Whatever else is in this scent is overwhelmed by this "rubber" accord. After an hour, a faint greenish violet scent appears, yet confusing me further. Burning tires and violets? Did Luckyscent send me the wrong fragrance? Points given just for sheer strangeness.