Chanel Le Blanc de Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base

3.9

Ingredients: aqua, ethylhexyl palmitate, talc, neopentyl glycol diethylhexanoate, cyclopentasiloxane, silica, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel extract) water, propylene glycol, glycerin, PEG-30 dipolyhydroxystearate, HDI/trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, aluminium hydroxide, butylene glycol, alcohol, phenoxyethanol, tribehenin, silica dimethyl silyate, methylparaben, disteardimonium hectorite, propylparaben, fragrance, BHT, laminaria digitata extract, ascorbyl palmitate, glyceryl stearate, disodium stearoyl glutamate, citric acid, sodium hyaluronate, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, butylparaben, ethylparaben, denatonium benzoate, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), mica.

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

A luxurious purchase. Love the pump that came with it, disperse out small amount, not too much as you only need little. Used it with with Chanel Perfection Velvet foundation, result is nice, natural glow. Will re-purchase for the luxury feel.

Asian
NC20-25
Chanl B20 Claire
GA LAsting Silk 4.5
Dirosnow Foundation 020

on 4/3/2015 7:37:00 AM

I don't consider this to be a primer in the traditional sense of the word. It does not control sebum, blur your pores or extend the wear of your foundation, nor is it marketed as such. The Chanel MAs use it as a complexion enhancer. It gives your skin a subtle chic glow (Chanel's trademark; see VA, Les Beiges, Joue Contraste blushes) which is the foundation upon which you can build your look. It can be used either as a semi-moisturizing layer before your foundation or TM (hence the comparison with a primer by many) or as a highlighter either mixed with your foundation/TM or separately after your foundation/TM on the high points of your face. Whichever method you choose is determined by the condition of your skin and the product you're mixing it with. Always ask for a sample so you can try this out in a few different ways prior to purchase. The stuff is expensive enough to warrant that!
My preferred method has always been layering. Thin, thin layers and very well blended.
I have dry cheeks, so I use a moisturizer first and let it sink in. Then a very thin layer (half pump) of Le Blanc, spread out with my fingers. Please note that I'm a NC40 and I can see a very slight white cast on my skin, which transforms into a subtle glow. If you are darker than I am, ask for a sample and check the effect on your skin! I then proceed with my foundation (currently VA Aqua b40) and concealer. Again, try with a sample first if this works with your preferred foundation, because it may very well be that you love Le Blanc and you love your foundation, but they don't play well together. On a non-makeup day, I use this without foundation but with concealer under my eyes and around my nose, plus tiny bit of blush and mascara, no powder.
I have also used excess product as a subtle highlighter. The keyword here is subtle. I feel this is often interpreted as "I can't really see it with my naked eye so it must not be working". If you're looking for a more promounced effect, use a traditional highlighter. If you're looking for moisturization, use a good moisturizer. Etc etc. Can you do without it? Of course! But if it works for you, I dare you to go without it. I for sure will have this in my kit for as long as Chanel offers it.

on 1/9/2015 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

LOVE!
I am very late with using primer, I never saw a benefit from using it.
The Chanel one gives me smooth and bright skin, never breakouts. It is a guaranty for an good looking skin day. I need to be very carefull for choosing foundation and primer, because with the wrong one I am prone to get breakouts on my normal skin.
After loving the effect of a primer, I bought Kanebo Sensai and Sunday Riley but I need to say, nothing beats Chanel for me.
The pump bottel is good but you can not get the last drops out, you need to take the pump away to get everything out of the bottle.

Best highlighter ever!
This product is absolutely amazing! It's the only highlighter I have ever found that makes me look luminous and not glittery. This also works really well mixed into foundation for an all over glow. Friends of mine who have used this product have complained that their skin doesn't feel moisturised after applying this. This is NOT a moisturiser, it's a highlighter, and a bloody good one. It's lasted me over a year and I use it everyday on the top of my cheek bones, so it's well worth the money. I think this would be fine for any skin type. If your'e oily, don't use it all over maybe. It also smells really nice which is a bonus :)

on 1/2/2015 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

TERRIBLE for dry skin. Maybe it would be ok for other types of skin (which is why I gave it a 3 instead of 1!) Anyways, it makes dry skin drier which makes fine lines more apparent and skin look worse. Also, it doesn't soak in at all.

on 1/2/2015 6:30:00 PM

I had to return it much to the dismay of the SA. It sucks having to return stuff, but $50 for something that made my skin look drier and older and just kinda sat on top without sinking in as other reviewers have all noted.... From far away it looks maybe brighter maybe dewy, but close up dull dry and wrinkly... My burberry sheer illuminating liquid base in the lighter color makes me dewy without this weird drying effect. Too bad. I bought it bc a youtube vid, so I can see how maybe from afar I liked the effect...it's just the up close dry effect that kills it.

This also broke me out.

on 11/17/2014 4:28:00 PM

Great stuff. It is expensive, indeed. But it is a first class primer that is worth the money. Chanel thankfully recently changed the packaging. The bottle now comes with a pump, so really easy to take out just the right amount of it. It smells delicious and is easy to apply. I am not a big fan of fancy brushes for my liquid make up, so I simply use my fingertips. Works just fine. I apply it as a base before I put on my BB cream (here I use the Shiseido BB cream). Works just great together. I let the Le Blanc set in a minute or so. Then the BB cream. And only then my Estee Lauder Doublewear concealer for a few selected areas, like under my eyes.
The Le Blanc doesnt really show that much actually. Which is good because we dont like drastical changes, do we? We like to look great but nobody should really be able to say what makes us look great. Le Blanc adds that bit of glow, the healthy look that we are keen to have. If I use my BB cream without the Le Blanc, the effect is gone. So it is really Le Blanc which does the trick. I tried other primers before, none of them was as good.
The other day, the bottle slipped out of my hand and the liquid blended quite nicely with my white bathroom tiles. Really a shame, but I got a new one immediately. Will certainly stick to this brand.

on 11/6/2014 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is such a help on days when I haven't slept well or my skin is lackluster for whatever reason. It instantly makes my skin look more healthy and subtly brightened without me having to do highlighters and light-reflective concealer and all of that stuff. That's my favorite thing about this... how subtle the effect is. It's not going to be a dramatic, shimmering, corrective fix. I think more strongly illuminating primers and liquid highlighters are best if you're looking for that type of result. This just adds a soft, low-key glow to my skin and helps bring a little light to shadowy areas and helps smooth out skin for foundation.

It took a couple tries for me to figure out how this works best for me and I've found that if I apply with a liquid foundation brush (I use a Lancome Foundation Brush #2) lightly all over my face it looks natural, does the job, and doesn't feel filmy, heavy, or like anything at all actually. It just immediately melts into my skin. I dispense one small drop on the back of my hand and just dip the foundation brush in as I go, that way it doesn't apply too thickly and it spreads evenly. I really only need a tiny bit for it to do something. I especially love in under my eyes (which always have bluish circles), and on the tops of cheekbones, but I do use it all over my face most days. I apply it after my sunscreen and before my foundation. I've also used a fluffy skunk style blending brush to apply this and that also works well it thin and very sheer.

I have normal skin, so I can't say whether it helps my makeup last longer since I don't have issues with that. I do have dry areas sometimes from allergies and this didn't sit on top of those areas or bring attention to them, thankfully. I'm NW5-10 (more neutral than cool) and I don't notice any ghostly cast. No irritation or sensitivities either despite this being fragranced. I do wish Chanel would stop adding such strong fragrance to so many products though since I do notice it lingering for a while and I think it can be too much for people with reactive skin types.

I own this in the new pump bottle (new as of Fall 2014), which replaced the old packaging with the spatula. I love this new bottle style since the pump is sanitary and it's very easy to control how much is dispensed... such a big improvement on the old one. Plus it has a secure cap.

So all in all I love this and will keep repurchasing. I do think it's one of those products that's best to try a sample of first (which I did a few times actually) to make sure it works for you and gives you the type of results you're looking for.

on 4/18/2014 8:26:00 PM

What a disappointing product. I'm not sure what it actually does, to be honest. I don't need to pay over 50 dollars for a product to give me a glow (which it actually doesn't) when any decent foundation / tinted moisturizer / BB cream at less than half the price can do so. It doesn't make my makeup last longer either. Beautiful glass packaging, sure. But the cap is sure near impossible to close back properly!

on 3/5/2014 1:50:00 AM

I bought this on a whim one day, and upon taking it home and using it, found I absolutely hated it! It made my skin look greasy, and I found my complexion very pastey. Recently I tried using this in a different way, however, and had amazing results. Originally I tried mixing this with my foundation - this resulted in a pastey, sickly looking complexion, and I also tried applying it over my foundation in the areas I wanted to highlight (inner eye, brow bone etc), with inconsitant results. When I applied it with a brush under my foundation to areas I wanted to highlight and blended it well, and I ended up with beautiful dewy skin that lasted all day. Amazing stuff, wish I figured out how to use it properly a long time ago but totally glad I have it now! One thing I wish was different about this though is the packaging. I find it a slight inconvience because of the wide mouth on this jar, I need to be careful not to dump a ton out (lost the plastic dipstick it came with soon after I bought it). Other then that, good stuff, I will buy again.