October 26, 2014 | 939 users online

Moisturizers - Argan Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2014 5:46:00 AM More reviews by imperiale

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have incredibly dry skin (to the point where it flakes off in patches) and I've been hunting for anything that has the potential to moisturise. My mum's the same - we both had been doing our research and decided to try oil - she said she'd had a good result, so I poked around and thought I'd try Argan oil.

I purchased oil made by a company called Moroccan Gold - because it was very reasonably priced, their oil is 100% organic, and most importantly - cold pressed. It comes in a brown glass bottle, and helpfully comes with 3 gold coloured caps: a screw cap, a dropper, and a spray nozzle. The oil itself is a yellowish colour and smells slightly nutty, proof that it is indeed cold pressed.

As for use, I found it really pleasant and effective, but not mind blowingly incredible (I always get my hopes up, lol). I like the feeling - it is oily when you apply, but it's a "dry" oil, it doesn't feel thick or masking, and it does absorb quite quickly. It gives a lovely moisturised but still dry feeling to the face, if that makes sense. I can't use it just on its own unfortunately, because it's just not enough moisture for me, and I have to follow it up with a cream, but it DOES impart more moisture than a cream on its own, and I've been lucky to not experience any breakouts from it.

I only use the oil on my skin - I don't use it on my hair because my hair is incredibly soft and shiny naturally, and the oil overwhelms it. If you have drier or coarser hair it might work wonders, but I would think castor oil would be more effective for you.

I'll definitely repurchase when the time comes, as for me, it really has been a good addition to my moisturising routine, and I'd definitely go with Moroccan Gold again. Don't expect a miracle from it, but it DOES work quite well.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2014 3:06:00 AM More reviews by jillfoshizzle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

An ok oil, too oily for my hair and I wasn't impressed with it on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by sxyleolady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The brand I use is from Aura Cacia. Great oil for the under eye area, not so much for my entire face. I have oily, acne prone skin which can be a bit temperamental at times. Hearing so much about Argan oil and how it's great for all skin types including oily skin, I decided to give it a try. Two weeks into using it, I experienced a couple of breakouts. Not sure if it was from the oil or my occasional hormonal breakouts, I stopped for a while and returned back to it a few months later. The same thing happened again. I quit using it for my face and started using it for my under eye area.

Now for my under eyes, I love it. I use a very small amount around my whole entire eye area nightly and by morning the skin around my eyes are so soft and hydrated. It soaks in within minutes of application. Be sure to use a small amount. I have no wrinkles, dark circles, or crows feet, but I do have a few fine lines and since using this oil there has been major improvements. I will continue to use it for preventive measures. The fact that it's natural and doesn't cause any irritation around my eyes is a definite plus for me. Great natural alternative to irritating eye creams.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by bonton

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have to disagree with the information with the long list of great Argan oil companies. She right to a point. Yes when they puchased the oil is pure....what the companies DO to the oil when they get it is totally different. The oil they buy has sediments in it The heat it at high temperatures to clean and or strain it. That process kills alot of the good benefits that we are seeking. The best argan oils are hand strain or cold processed,these can be found in companies that don't mass market. Most of those companies there oil is slimy and sits on your skin. Unprocessed by heat should feel soft and absorb into your skin immediately.It should smell like nuts, some even say rubber bands. If yours has no smell its been heat processed.
Raw Argan oil is NOT clear. If yours is clear you may want to question it. I by mine from Saadia Organics.100% cold pressed by hand in Essaouria. The web site have very good information on what you should look for to make sure you are getting the real stuff. I only added this because I have received emails asking what brand I use. I purchase it from the Georgia salon in the USA online. Its on her website for where to purchase in Canada and USA. I got mine in two days under $5.00 shipping.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by Ami85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

First of all, I have to say I have oily to combination acne prone skin. I used this a couple of time on my face, just a few drops, and it feels great, leaves a very smooth skin, however this makes me break out sooo bad... And not just the little white dots, but those painful HUGE RED BUMPS. I will never use it on my face since it is so bad for my skin. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by gnikole2003

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

here is my experience with argan oil
first a few details about my skin : NC15-20 , oily but dehydrated , extremely acne prone , sensitive , clogged pores city , can easily get eczema and/or rosaceea if treated harsh
so to cut it short i have a hell of a skin !
since for about a year i managed to keep it fairly clear by diet and simple routine ,but i still felt it needed a little oomph and figured to adjust my routine by adding an oil .
after long hours of reading reviews and details i have decided on argan oil
started patch test on neck area ( my most problematic zone ; neck and jaw line ) by massaging a drop of argain oil , leave it on for about 15-20 mins then wash it off with cleanser.
after almost 2 weeks my neck is wonderfully smooth and i can feel that the argan oil has done wonders but at the same time my whole neck and jaw line is covered in clogged pores and tiny bumps
so what can i say ...i loved the way my skin feels but im bummed about the clogged pores
i most definitely recommend argan oil for its benefits but be sure to run a patch test for atleast 2 weeks

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2014 1:52:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great product for hair and skin if used in moderation. Does not weight hair down. Gives awesome shine. If anything it gives me crazy volume when I use it in rotation mixed with one of my shampoos. They key to any oil and hair care is to rotate the oils being used and do no use back to back days to avoid buildup and flyaway or weighed down hair. I consider this a medium intensity oil and great for light hair issues but I still have other favorite oils for deep conditioning or truly bad hair days. I rotate my oil in hair days with no oil in hair days and that works well for me. All you need to do is to keep an oil free condtioner on hand for rotation to get the most benefit out of this or any oil for your hair.

I do use it on my skin as well at night in rotation with more heavy duty creams and oils. No complaints and I currently buy the Vitacost brand and love it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2014 12:23:00 AM More reviews by ryapapaya

I recently purchased argan oil to use as a facial moisturizer.
It goes on oily - No Duh. It doesn't really sink into the skin, and I didn't feel the hydration I thought I would experience from using an oil.
The only time it felt nice on my skin and sunk in properly was when I cut it into another moisturizer.
However, I suspect this particular oil is causing me to break out a little. Not huge red bumps but tiny white dots.
Since I can't use it on my face I've opted to use it EVERYWHERE else. Literally everywhere. Lips, Hair, Nails, Dry feets... I add it into my body lotion and my skin drinks it up.
Very versatile product so if it doesn't work for you don't be discouraged.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2014 2:25:00 AM More reviews by Safin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is natural shine in a bottle. I use a brand named Cosmostar, a bio argan oil from my local health food store. I use it on my fine hair, mostly a few drops on the dry ends and to give my hair a nice shine. This is such a great alternative for all the chemical serums that are loaded with silicones!
I use it both on wet hair (as a leave-in conditioner) and dry hair (as a finishing/smoothing product) and it never makes my hair too oily. Love love love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2014 9:57:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

There are lots of oils that are great for hair but pure argan is a great option for dry hair ends as it is fairly light yet very effective. I use it overnight on my ends once a week, you only need the tiniest amount so it's great value. Just make sure it's cold pressed if possible and, more importantly, pure; it should smell toasted/nutty. I use a different oil blend on my scalp, again overnight, and remove the lot with a very gentle clarifying shampoo the next morning followed by my usual shampoo and conditioner. My hair looks very shiny, bouncy and split ends are transformed. It's easy to go overboard so use the smallest amount to start off with. This regime has replaced my weekly Aphogee regime now my hair is in great shape.