Josie Maran Cosmetics 100% Pure Argan Oil

100% pure organic Argan Oil

on 7/11/2015 1:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I jumped on the Argan Oil bandwagon when I tried the cheaper alternative. A brand called Acure Organics. That one did wonders to my skin. And I was happy with it. I went on to purchase the second bottle of the Acure Organics Argan Oil but didn't like the smell of the second bottle, it smelt like manure. So I browsed through and decided to try this. This is of course double the price, but since a little goes a long way, I thought why the hell not? So I bought it and it was a much better quality then the one I previously used. This calmed my blemished plagued skin every time I use it at night, I can even use it in the morning if I let it absorb in advance. It decreases the size of the blemishes I had and calmed down any inflammation I had. I haven't noticed the anti aging benefit. But it moisturises pretty decently and makes my skin soft the morning after. I am now on my second bottle.

on 6/25/2015 5:27:00 PM

Best Aragon oil on the market. I've been using it for 3 years. Not only has it helped minimize my eczema, but it removed the scars that my eczema has caused. This has worked better then all the prescriptions I have received from my dermatologist. I will never be without it.

on 5/24/2015 8:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Buy one of these and carry it with you everywhere. I use it on hair, face, body, nails ... It's a great all rounder and has become one of my few indispensable items. Granted, there are cheaper versions of Argan oil, but none of them work quite like this one. Frankly if I wanted a cheaper oil, I'd just stick with coconut oil but not a generic Moroccan oil that tries to pass itself off as Argan oil.

on 5/24/2015 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Guess it's been about a month since I received a free deluxe sample of this from Sephora. I know many here like to make fun of JM and I'll admit I have in the past. Her demos and over-the-top comments (+horrible French accent) on QVC do drive me crazy and I wish she'd wash her hands once in awhile, LOL.

But that being said, after junomacguff's high praise and getting the freebie, I've drunk the JM kool-aid.....at least on the subject of the 100% argan. Her other products don't interest me.

The good news is while she's the biggest importer of Argan from Morocco, her Argan is also ethically sourced. Here's a quote from Sephora:

"Josie Maran Pure Argan Oil is first cold pressed to ensure the best quality, highest-grade oil. It is housed in a recyclable glass bottle and purchased from women’s cooperatives in Morocco to support their social and economic welfare. These cooperatives work within a UNESCO biosphere reserve that ensures the protection and reforestation of Argan trees."

Here's a link to a peer-reviewed study that demonstrates that argan oil is protective against melanoma. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3723062/

At this point, I probably will purchase once my sample is gone.

UPDATE (7/17/15): Time for an update......so I quite like this now that I figured out how my skin likes it best. I thought I'd share in case anyone else was having difficulty with residual stickiness. I basically started with using HABA's squalane application technique, using water to "thin" it, BUT since switching to Evan Healy's oil/water technique, my skin loves it so much more. I'm still just using one drop for my face and one for my neck. And I will add that I do the mixing on my fingers rather than my palm as shown in the EH video. I use about 5 spritzes of EH lavender hydrosol but regular water would work just fine. Here's the link to EH's explanation for clarification if you're interested: http://www.evanhealy.com/index.php/skin-works/

on 4/29/2015 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I wish this oil worked for me. It broke me out badly after several days using it. So I'm using this on my dry elbows, knees and hair. I hate to waste product.

on 4/29/2015 11:24:00 AM

**This isn't a review for Josie Maran's but Fushi's Argan oil**

In the UK, it is extremely difficult to get hold of Josie Maran. When I head about putting Argan Oil on your face, I was extremely against it. I don't have OILY skin but I tend to get oily in my T-Zone. At the time, I had bumps on my skin that I presumed were spots but looking back, they didn't have anything in them.

I looked at getting this but it was almost impossible to find in the UK, and the only places that sold it, sold it for a ridiculous price. I already had Fushi's Argan oil at home as I was using it on my hair. I read into this product to find out if it was organic and pure and I found out it was and it was sold at a MUCH more reasonable price than Josie Maran's.

On Fushi's website, you can get 100ml for £13! Other websites like FeelUnique and Amazon also sell it. By looking at the colour of this product, you can tell that it is the real deal and not a knock off. It is a pale yellow and has a nutty smell.

It is an AMAZING product. My skin's texture is a lot smoother and looks so much more radiant. I have heard that it is a great product for wrinkles but I can't comment on that as I don't have any. I also use it underneath my eyes as my eyes were quite dehydrated and I didn't have the time to go and get an eye cream.

Over all, I would definitely recommend this product. Fushi also do a lot of other oils, all are 100% certified organic.

on 4/15/2015 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

My skin LOVES this. I can't get over the difference it makes. My skin is clear, soft, and glowing. This is also great for taming hair frizz. Josie Maran's Argan Oil is obviously highest quality, and I trust this brand to keep it that way. Argan Oil is amazing.

This is 100% pure argan oil, regardless of what rival companies. or brainwashed consumers may claim. Can 100% argan oil be bought at a cheaper price? Sure. However, argan oil is the "backbone" of Josie Maran's brand. The formulators and marketers are making far too much money to risk the reputation of the entire brand by making false claims regarding the purity of their oils. The brand's major claim is, "We get all of our Argan Oil from all-female cooperatives in Morocco. These co-ops, set up by the Moroccan government in 2002, give women of rural Morocco a steady income, a fair wage, decent working conditions, and literacy and other education classes." (see Josiemarancosmetics.com)

Other brands aren't faced with the same risk regarding the provenance of their oils ; especially "natural" brands that mass label products that come straight from wholesale vendors! Is it even possible to purchase a product that doesn't claim it's the purest, and the best, and the most special because of...? I doubt it. Is it possible to buy high quality argan oil from another brand? Of course, but if it's cheap, there's something fishy going on. If you go to Marrakesh, you can buy a liter of argan oil for $75.00, but the plane ticket will cost a whole lot more. (And you want cold-pressed for cosmetic use. Moroccans are well aware that people will pay big bucks for argan oil, so there are no guarantees of "quality" unless buying from a respected brand name).

Argan oil comes from trees that are indigenous to Morocco, but they also grow in the Negev desert in Israel. The Josie Maran company goes out of its way to inform customers that the argan oil it sells is from Morocco. See: http://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/model-citizen-100-percent-pure-argan-oil.html#.VS7Mk_nF88Q

I trust this brand, because if they leave themselves THIS open for scrutiny, it's unlikely they're stupid enough to sell anything but oil that meets FDA's definition of 100% argan oil.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I loved this oil. This and the Argan milk saved my eczema this winter. My skin was dry, flakey, peeling and red everywhere but my t zones. I applied this every morning and night after the Arian milk and before my cream. Doesn't have a smell, is all natural, nice dark bottle but the price is outrageous. I understand it's naturally but my pockets think it can try some other oils

on 4/13/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is very overpriced. I love Argan oil and rosehip seed and gave seen a huge improvement in my skin. I am 40 and started using them at 38 when I became serious shout my skin care.

I bought this about 5 months ago to try over my other brand which is much less money but the same thing. I heard it was better, cleaner, and higher quality Argan. It's nice but I see no difference, plus it's much much more money.

After I finish this smaller bottle I sm going back to the lesser brand. No need to spend 40 bucks on this when Argan oil organic and unrefined is around 20 for the same amount she is selling.

on 4/12/2015 1:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have to give this product credit for one thing and one thing only- it introduced me to Argan oil. I saw this product at Sephora and bought a small bottle to try (as it is very expensive, it was $17 for a half oz). I was pleased with the product, it goes on smoothly and is rapidly absorbed without making my oily skin feel oilier.

There is a science behind why argan oil is so great for skin. It seems counterproductive to put oil on oily skin, or oil on skin in general, but the truth is that is the only way you can truly moisturize your skin. Moisturizers that are water based cannot penetrate into your skin and are an illusion brought to you by the beauty industry. I personally have oily but dehydrated skin- my skin gets dehydrated with some products I use to combat the oiliness, causing the oil to pump out faster... a vicious cycle! After I wash with my cleanser that contains BHA and a BHA+ witch hazel toner I immediately put this on. My skin saw a reduction in break outs, a brightening of tone, and actual healing on scars and red marks left over from past pimples. I saw a slight reduction in my closed comedones. Slight. The oil penetrates the skin and makes it supple and happy.

By the way, *Argan oil and Moroccan oil ARE NOT THE SAME THING*. Argan oil is the pure extract, moroccan oil is a brand. Anything that is labelled 'moroccan oil' contains fillers, including waxes and silicones. This is great for hair, not so great for skin.

Now, the reason why I haven't given this a higher review is because there are better products out there. This product is insanely expensive for what it is. It is nicely refined and has a slight nutty smell... but its no different then many products.

I converted to MyChelle Dermaceuticals Advanced Argan Oil, a more affordable $20 purchase (for 1 oz) at my local Whole Foods (or $14.50 on Amazon.com). I use this exclusively on my face.

For my body (and face when I run out of MyChelle and get too lazy to buy more) I use Pura d'or 100% pure organic Argan oil. 4 oz of this cost $19.99 and it is AWESOME. (To buy 4 oz of Josie Moran argan oil it is $100 at Sephora. SCAM!!!) The only reason I don't use this on my face all the time is because it is a bit thicker then the MyChelle.

Hope that is helpful... you really don't need to spend so much to get an equal and sometimes better product!!!!!