Josie Maran Cosmetics 100% Pure Argan Oil

3.8

100% pure organic Argan Oil

on 5/24/2015 8:11:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Buy one of these and carry it with you everywhere. I use it on hair, face, body, nails ... It's a great all rounder and has become one of my few indispensable items. Granted, there are cheaper versions of Argan oil, but none of them work quite like this one. Frankly if I wanted a cheaper oil, I'd just stick with coconut oil but not a generic Moroccan oil that tries to pass itself off as Argan oil.

on 5/24/2015 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Guess it's been about a month since I received a free deluxe sample of this from Sephora. I know many here like to make fun of JM and I'll admit I have in the past. Her demos and over-the-top comments (+horrible French accent) on QVC do drive me crazy and I wish she'd wash her hands once in awhile, LOL.

But that being said, after junomacguff's high praise and getting the freebie, I've drunk the JM kool-aid.....at least on the subject of the 100% argan. Her other products don't interest me.

The good news is while she's the biggest importer of Argan from Morocco, her Argan is also ethically sourced. Here's a quote from Sephora:

"Josie Maran Pure Argan Oil is first cold pressed to ensure the best quality, highest-grade oil. It is housed in a recyclable glass bottle and purchased from women’s cooperatives in Morocco to support their social and economic welfare. These cooperatives work within a UNESCO biosphere reserve that ensures the protection and reforestation of Argan trees."

At this point, I probably will purchase once my sample is gone

on 4/29/2015 11:58:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I wish this oil worked for me. It broke me out badly after several days using it. So I'm using this on my dry elbows, knees and hair. I hate to waste product.

on 4/29/2015 11:24:00 AM

**This isn't a review for Josie Maran's but Fushi's Argan oil**

In the UK, it is extremely difficult to get hold of Josie Maran. When I head about putting Argan Oil on your face, I was extremely against it. I don't have OILY skin but I tend to get oily in my T-Zone. At the time, I had bumps on my skin that I presumed were spots but looking back, they didn't have anything in them.

I looked at getting this but it was almost impossible to find in the UK, and the only places that sold it, sold it for a ridiculous price. I already had Fushi's Argan oil at home as I was using it on my hair. I read into this product to find out if it was organic and pure and I found out it was and it was sold at a MUCH more reasonable price than Josie Maran's.

On Fushi's website, you can get 100ml for £13! Other websites like FeelUnique and Amazon also sell it. By looking at the colour of this product, you can tell that it is the real deal and not a knock off. It is a pale yellow and has a nutty smell.

It is an AMAZING product. My skin's texture is a lot smoother and looks so much more radiant. I have heard that it is a great product for wrinkles but I can't comment on that as I don't have any. I also use it underneath my eyes as my eyes were quite dehydrated and I didn't have the time to go and get an eye cream.

Over all, I would definitely recommend this product. Fushi also do a lot of other oils, all are 100% certified organic.

on 4/15/2015 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My skin LOVES this. I can't get over the difference it makes. My skin is clear, soft, and glowing. This is also great for taming hair frizz. Josie Maran's Argan Oil is obviously highest quality, and I trust this brand to keep it that way. Argan Oil is amazing.

This is 100% pure argan oil, regardless of what rival companies. or brainwashed customers may claim. Can 100% argan oil be bought at a cheaper price? Sure. However, argan oil is the "backbone" of Josie Maran's brand. The formulators and marketers are making far too much money to risk the reputation of the entire brand by making false claims regarding the purity of their oils. The brand's major claim is, "We get all of our Argan Oil from all-female cooperatives in Morocco. These co-ops, set up by the Moroccan government in 2002, give women of rural Morocco a steady income, a fair wage, decent working conditions, and literacy and other education classes." (see Josiemarancosmetics.com)

Other brands aren't faced with the same risk regarding the provenance of their oils ; especially "natural" brands that mass label products that come straight from wholesale vendors! Is it even possible to purchase a product that doesn't claim it's the purest, and the best, and the most special because of...? I doubt it. Is it possible to buy high quality argan oil from another brand? Of course, but if it's cheap, there's something fishy going on. If you go to Marrakesh, you can buy a liter of argan oil for $75.00, but the plane ticket won't be cheap. (And you want cold-pressed for cosmetic use. Moroccans are well aware that people will pay big bucks for argan oil, so there are no guarantees of "quality" unless buying from a respected brand name).

Argan oil comes from trees that are indigenous to Morocco, but they also grow in the Negev desert in Israel. Why anybody would care if their argan oil is from Morocco or Israel is beyond me, as long as it's authentic argan oil, but the Josie Maran company goes out of its way to inform customers that the argan oil it sells is from Morocco. Somehow this supports the "slums of Africa". See: http://www.josiemarancosmetics.com/model-citizen-100-percent-pure-argan-oil.html#.VS7Mk_nF88Q

I'm sure this carefully worded advertising is designed to manipulate customers into thinking they are helping people when they buy Josie Maran Argan Oil. I trust this brand, because if they leave themselves THIS open for scrutiny, it's unlikely they're stupid enough to sell anything but oil that meets FDA's definition of 100% argan oil.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I loved this oil. This and the Argan milk saved my eczema this winter. My skin was dry, flakey, peeling and red everywhere but my t zones. I applied this every morning and night after the Arian milk and before my cream. Doesn't have a smell, is all natural, nice dark bottle but the price is outrageous. I understand it's naturally but my pockets think it can try some other oils

on 4/13/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is very overpriced. I love Argan oil and rosehip seed and gave seen a huge improvement in my skin. I am 40 and started using them at 38 when I became serious shout my skin care.

I bought this about 5 months ago to try over my other brand which is much less money but the same thing. I heard it was better, cleaner, and higher quality Argan. It's nice but I see no difference, plus it's much much more money.

After I finish this smaller bottle I sm going back to the lesser brand. No need to spend 40 bucks on this when Argan oil organic and unrefined is around 20 for the same amount she is selling.

on 4/12/2015 1:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have to give this product credit for one thing and one thing only- it introduced me to Argan oil. I saw this product at Sephora and bought a small bottle to try (as it is very expensive, it was $17 for a half oz). I was pleased with the product, it goes on smoothly and is rapidly absorbed without making my oily skin feel oilier.

There is a science behind why argan oil is so great for skin. It seems counterproductive to put oil on oily skin, or oil on skin in general, but the truth is that is the only way you can truly moisturize your skin. Moisturizers that are water based cannot penetrate into your skin and are an illusion brought to you by the beauty industry. I personally have oily but dehydrated skin- my skin gets dehydrated with some products I use to combat the oiliness, causing the oil to pump out faster... a vicious cycle! After I wash with my cleanser that contains BHA and a BHA+ witch hazel toner I immediately put this on. My skin saw a reduction in break outs, a brightening of tone, and actual healing on scars and red marks left over from past pimples. I saw a slight reduction in my closed comedones. Slight. The oil penetrates the skin and makes it supple and happy.

By the way, *Argan oil and Moroccan oil ARE NOT THE SAME THING*. Argan oil is the pure extract, moroccan oil is a brand. Anything that is labelled 'moroccan oil' contains fillers, including waxes and silicones. This is great for hair, not so great for skin.

Now, the reason why I haven't given this a higher review is because there are better products out there. This product is insanely expensive for what it is. It is nicely refined and has a slight nutty smell... but its no different then many products.

I converted to MyChelle Dermaceuticals Advanced Argan Oil, a more affordable $20 purchase (for 1 oz) at my local Whole Foods (or $14.50 on Amazon.com). I use this exclusively on my face.

For my body (and face when I run out of MyChelle and get too lazy to buy more) I use Pura d'or 100% pure organic Argan oil. 4 oz of this cost $19.99 and it is AWESOME. (To buy 4 oz of Josie Moran argan oil it is $100 at Sephora. SCAM!!!) The only reason I don't use this on my face all the time is because it is a bit thicker then the MyChelle.

Hope that is helpful... you really don't need to spend so much to get an equal and sometimes better product!!!!!

I know that this review will likely do nothing to dissuade others from buying such a cult favorite. But take it from someone who takes their skin care products seriously-this product is a rip-off. Let's analyze this oil in terms of quality. A few things that distinguish a good argan oil from a bad one are the texture, odor, and price. Good argan oil is moisturizing, but never slippery, or "slimy." It is not odorless, but carries a light, nutty scent. Finally, it does not come cheap; sourced in Morocco, it takes time and effort to crush the fruit to get to the tiny, oil-containing kernel inside. As a result, finding quality argan for $5 an ounce is not a bargain, it's a scam. Sure, you're getting moisturizing properties with Josie's argan oil, but it's not the purest on the market. I definitely get that slicker feeling with this product, and it really does take a while to sink into your skin. Perhaps the only authentic feel about this product is the scent. (I detect a hint of nuttiness.) Finally, there's the exorbitant price of $48 for a full-size bottle. You'll see Josie Maran Cosmetics listed on sites such as PETA and The Leaping Bunny, as she does not test on animals. BUT, if you want to support the naturally occurring crops in Morocco that sustain the local women there, don't buy this. Hardly any of the sales from this product go to them. In fact, the only ethically fair traded Moroccan supplier in the world comes from Neal's Yard, a company that works closely with the largest argan oil crops in the world. The verdict? Although Josie Maran has successfully created a beloved, skin-nourishing oil that sells off the shelves of every Sephora in the world, it is not the best product if you're looking for quality and value. When I grab this off the shelf at a beauty counter, I don't feel like I'm purchasing a superior product, nor supporting the livelihood of hardworking women. I'm not bashing Josie, but I will say that after investing the time and money in trying out her product, I feel a little cheated.
Pros: Amber, glass bottle with a dropper. This protects the product from damaging light, and also prevents spillage. Smells nice.
Cons: Not the purest you can get for the money. Expensive, slimy, and little to no ethical impact with purchase.
Josie Maran's Argan Oil: (1.7 oz. for $48)
Neal's Yard: (1.69 oz. for $28.)

on 3/22/2015 8:21:00 PM

I don't really get the hype around this product. I have never had a problem with skin products irritating my skin, except for this one. The past couple of winters I've noticed my skin become considerably dryer, and my regular moisturizer was is longer sufficient. So I bought a small bottle of this, after seeing it hyped in several places. The woman at Sephora positively raved about it.
So I tried it for a couple of weeks, mixing in a few drops with my regular nighttime moisturizer, as well as trying to apply it separately. Didn't notice any difference in the level of moisture in my skin. It didn't feel greasy, I just didn't notice anything at all. It didn't seem to help in any capacity. After a week I realized I was waking up with red skin, as if I'd been burned or something, and sensitive to touch. Like I said, this has never happened to me before with any other product. I do not have sensitive skin.
I could only conclude I am either allergic to Argan oil, or this product is not working anywhere near as well as it claims. Even if it weren't for the redness, I noticed absolutely no increase in moisture in my skin.

Popular Moisturizers