October 23, 2014 | 1135 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Josie Maran Cosmetics - Tinted Moisturizer

rated 1 of 5 on 8/22/2014 2:27:00 AM More reviews by isabella8

I really wanted to like this product because I love Josie Maran and I was impressed by the Escape to Morocco Holiday Lights and Brights starter kit I bought. But alas, this product failed me big time. I've been getting a lot of breakouts due to pregnancy so my skin is very erratic right now: super oily t-zone but dry with a lot of acne along the jawline. I've been trying non-toxic cosmetics with some success but wanted to try something a bit more luxe (if that makes sense) but still good for my skin. I'd heard great things about Josie's line so I wanted to start with a tinted moisturizer. I usually prefer light and natural makeup.

I bought this shade in Light 01 (I'm MAC NC25) and when I first applied it, the shade appeared to match because I'm light with yellow undertones. I applied this with my fingers then buffed with a stiff foundation brush. I finished off with a light dust of powder to set. It gave my skin an awesome dewy finish for about 1 hour. But what came after that was a sore disappointment...it started getting really greasy and heavy on my face and after a few hours, it turned orange on me. I even developed a new acne spot right above my lip--really bad! I rarely break out from makeup that quickly! I couldn't stand how heavy it felt on my face that I grabbed some toilet paper and wiped everything off. My skin actually looked better with NO makeup on at that point.

Also, upon reading the ingredients more carefully, I realized this product contains 1.5% avobenzone for the sunscreen portion. It's been advised by some dermatologists that pregnant women should try to avoid avobenzone. I'm returning this product as it was not as "natural" as I thought it was.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by JLB2005

Very rich with a bit of coverage. I like creamy textures. Goes in nicely with fingers or that beauty sponge thingie from Sephora. I am mixed race and the medium shade boosts my skin tone in a natural way to make me appear much more "sun kissed". The shade is deeper than my own but it blends well and feels nice. If you want something light and non-greasy, this is not for you. Maturing or dry skins might love it like I do.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/9/2014 2:31:00 AM More reviews by ralexandra

Like so many other reviewers have said, this is not a tinted moisturizer. I bought it wanting a tinted moisturizer, and it's not one. That's all you need to know! I have mostly clear skin, just a pimple here or there once a month and this stuff made me break out badly. Pimples all over my face, multiple new ones surfacing during wear. It was recommended for dry skin (it was winter when I bought it, and I was combatting some serious dryness), and it certainly is oily and heavy like a dry skin moisturizer. It does not blend well no matter what tools you use--hands, brush, sponge--and it just sort of sits on top of the skin, never absorbing. Because of this, the color doesn't really suit my skin tone (plus the colors are just kind of poorly formulated, I've gathered). There is no transparency as with other tinted moisturizers, it is a very heavy formula. I hated it! I spent weeks with pimples all over my face. Don't waste your money. Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier do great tinted moisturizers, and I'm never straying from them again!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2014 2:57:00 PM More reviews by lolita97

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really love how moisturizing and smooth this is but that's it. It broke me out and was SUPER thick, my skin looked way better when i took it off. Plus it's too oily and doesn't have good coverage. The only thing i like about this was the feel of it, it feels so luxurious!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/1/2014 9:26:00 AM More reviews by tootired

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I went into Sephora to try and buy Tarte Smooth Operator but after having an in depth conversation with the very informative SA, she convinced me not to buy Tarte but to give Jose Maran a try as she felt it would be better for my dry, old, face. IDK...maybe because of my age and the target demos of both companies she felt Josie would be a better match?

Thankfully, she sent me packing with SIX generous samples of both brands, 3 colors each. What a gal!

I had no luck with Josie Maran. Shades were off, consistency was too thick, and it did nothing to enhance my completion at all. It was difficult to apply even with a good moisturizer underneath. At the sides of my face where I have the slightest bit of peach fuzz, the product just stuck to the fuzz and it was impossible to blend. The finish was dull, drab ,blotchy, covered nothing and adhered to the smallest of flakes I had that could not be detected by the eye without the product on.

It was a total bust for me. As for Tarte, I'm wearing it today and as a quick comparison to Josie, it applied 100 times better, has more covering power and has a lovely finish. Too soon to tell but I'll review Tarte when I've spent more time with it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 12:34:00 PM More reviews by Peri

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE all of Josie's products, but this one fell a little flat in my opinion. It's more like a BB cream than a tinted moisturizer, as it's light in weight but quite thick. Too thick, IMO. It oxidizes on my skin too, turning it brownish, which I don't like. I definitely shows that I'm wearing foundation. That said, I'll still use other products from the line because, apart from this, they're really fantastic.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 10:33:00 PM More reviews by kmhanker

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

While this is a nice product, I'm not over the moon for it. It's a little too thick and too heavy for my taste; calling it a tinted moisturizer is misleading. I do mix this product with my facial moisturizer to thin it out, but if I'm going to spend this much money on a product, I'd like it to actually be a tinted moisturizer.

The color is also a bit dark (I use Creme). If you're fair with cool undertones, I suggest trying a sample first. I suspect that I may also have a reaction to the argan oil (I've developed smal bumps on my cheeks, which has never happened before). On the plus side, it is moisturizing and oxidizes well with my skin. I'd purchase it again, but only if it was the only natural tinted moisturizer available.

I will update this when I have more information regarding the argan oil reaction.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2014 8:53:00 AM More reviews by BeautyBloom14

Overall I love it! Check out my blog post for a detailed review! http://beautybloom14.blogspot.com/2014/03/josie-maran-cosmetics-argan-tinted.html

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2014 2:01:00 AM More reviews by kimmurs

I have light-medium (depending on season), yellow-toned, combo skin. I use this in Light 1. For a tinted moisturiser the coverage is really good! I found the shade nice for warm skin tones and I love that it is SPF 30 physical sunscreen (titanium dioxide + mostly zinc oxide). There's definitely better out there as far as the feel/finish department goes. I think it may be due to the physical sunscreens in this, but I find you can really feel the product on your face. It is hard to blend too, as in once you've applied it you need to blend immediately because it sticks and dries fast - not light and smooth at all. Because of this drying/sticking I would not recommend this if you have dry skin. Overall decent TM with good physical sunscreen coverage (I'm not sure how natural the product actually is), but in general there's better out there IMO, especially if you have dry skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/9/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by savyy

This goes on really thick and doesn't blend nicely. I tried it with fingers, sponge and foundation brush. It also looked splotchy and oily but also accentuated dry spots by the end of the day. Only good thing is the natural SPF but I just felt like I was slathering on a heavy mineral sunscreen rather than a TM. The ingredients are also sketchy for a supposedly 'natural' brand.