November 27, 2014 | 1265 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Brass Free Blondes

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2010 12:53:00 AM More reviews by Saraelyse

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i used this product a few years ago when my hair was blonde and this was a new product. it gave me hot roots, and darkened the ends. I was none to pleased with the results. i wouldn't recommend this product, or repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by sophrosyne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I could not be happier with this product. Qualification: I read all of the reviews here to figure out which color to buy, and that made all the difference. I was blonde as a kid, and then puberty brought about that wet-mushroom-tree-bark color popularly known as "dishwater blonde," which really isn't blonde at all but a dark and dirty taupe verging on gunmetal grey. I highlight it, but unlike the hair of most women who highlight their hair blonde, mine lifts ashy rather than brassy. So the last time my hairdresser did my highlights, he did warm tones and then sealed them with some kind of treatment that was designed to keep them gold and not ash out. Well, it worked too well. Fine at first, but it grew out, and now I have 2 inches of dark ash taupe at the roots, and bright yellow highlights. Hideous. So I decided to go brown, but I didn't want to go darker than my roots (my eyebrows are very light and I didn't want them to look "drawn in" by the kind of dark pencil that would be necessary to match my hair). So I read the reviews here and bought this product in Dark Blonde. GREAT CHOICE. I followed one of the reviewers' recommendation to use a coloring brush. Okay, I didn't have a coloring brush, but I used a basting brush from my kitchen utensil drawer. Yes, you read that right. Next time I'll get a proper (stiffer) coloring brush, but hey, it did the job. My hair is long, past the bra strap, so one box didn't cover it all, but I only colored the blonded portions of my hair, and left the 3" up the back of my head from my neck uncolored, which was fine b/c it was unhighlighted. I followed instructions pretty much exactly, including the 10-minute limit; in the future I'd leave the color on longer, b/c I'd like it a bit darker. However, it did *exactly* what it promised: my hideous yellow-orangey highlights are now a beautiful, cool ribbon-brown, and just a tad lighter than my natural color, which was unchanged by the product. I doubt my colorist could have done a better job. Will definitely repurchase when this treatment wears out. UPDATE: I decided to go a bit darker, and tried the colors "Lightest Brown" (which darkened it a bit but then faded out considerably within 2 weeks), and then "Light Brown," which was disastrous. It WON'T come out and is fading to the most hideous brassy light brown, like rusty water. The colored portion of my hair is in awful condition. I stand by my top-notch rating of the darkest blond color, but OMG, the other reviewers were right about the brown colors.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/14/2010 3:54:00 PM More reviews by kellikelso

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Before I used this product I "had" light brown hair. So I got this in dark blonde in fear of it making my hair darker. Unfortunately, it did anyway. Now my hair is about 3 shades darker and I still have plenty of warm tones. It did not do anything good for my hair at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/16/2009 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Daniela7474

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

HOLY CRAP THIS SUCKS!!!! I swear, I look WORSE now that I've used this. Before I just had some brassy streaks in my blonde that I wanted to get out and make a little more cool toned. This crap actually warmed my hair and now I look strawberry blonde. Granted, now the color is more uniform and I don't look like a calico cat, but now I have SOLID STRAWBERRY color. UGH! How can something that was supposed to take the warm and brassiness out, actually put it back in.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY CLEAR OF THIS PRODUCT.

IT'S HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2009 4:16:00 PM More reviews by millascent

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

GREAT RESULTS, NON-BRASSY NATURAL LOOKING BLONDE, WITH A COUPLE OF SECRET TIPS FOR GREAT RESULTS! I have recently returned to home hair coloring after years of going to the salon to get base color w/ bleach highlights, in an exhausting 4 hour ritual of getting all my hair done in alternating color foils and sitting under a hot drier for an hour, but now I've found how to get great results at home, after only 30+ years of hit and miss tries!! Now, I'm going to share the love with all of you, in repayment for all the great information the makeup and perfume reviewers share here!!

I started life blonde but currently I have level 7 dishwater brown hair with close to 50% gray (the resistant kind). The bleach highlights and base color foils at the salon just got to be too much maintenance. Plus economic factors forced a change, so I decided to embark on a search for the perfect single step, one color (home product) to give me perfect natural medium blonde hair w/ plenty of 'natural' shadings; nearly an impossible dream to imagine, right?

First I tried medium ash blonde (by Preference) but it came out terrible, orangy at the roots and greenish on the tips! Other products, similar, greenish tips and my hair kept getting more and more orange. Next I tried the dark neutral blonde shade in several brands, including all the salon products for use at home, but they also came out super brassy and now my hair was very dark, auburn-reddish brown. So I gave up on trying to get a decent ashy color and went instead for a golden based dark blond. It was easier to achieve a consistent looking color result and I found several products could do the job, but I still felt the yellow/orange tones clashed w/ my coolish pale skin tone. Finally I settled on Fiera (Irridescent Blonde) because it comes out evenly colored, shiny and healthy but I felt the color was still very brassy, almost apricot, even after I used the after-coloring shampoo-in toner product Claroil makes!

So today, my gray roots were peeking out and I went to get some more hair color (Super Bowl day, perfect!). But on a whim, I decided to give Clairol's Natural Instincts newer BRASS FREE BLONDES a try (I've used the Natural Instincts before, but it doesn't cover any gray and the color results are hard to gauge but generally too DARK). But anyway, I chose the 8C shade, labeled Medium Blond. I have hair about 1" below the shoulders, so I decided to get 2 boxes of color, to make sure I had enough product to really saturate my hair this time. I also got some 40% volume developer (my hair is somewhat resistant to lightening) and a clear shower cap (these two things turned out to be an essential part of getting a good result, I discovered). When I got home, I poured the first bottle and then 1/2 of the second bottle of Brass Free developer into a glass bowl and noticing how thin the developer seemed, I decided to replace the last 1/2 of a bottle of Brass Free developer with the stronger 40% developer. I mixed the product into a yellow jelly-ish cream and used a color brush to apply quickly, beginning at my hairline. I ended up needing all of the mixture to saturate my hair. Then I quickly put my hair in the plastic shower cap and then I wrapped my head up in a towel, to make sure my head and hair were all kept warm- this helps the color develop evenly.

I kicked back for about 35 minutes but I assume this product stops developing on its own, like most home products, so you may not have to wait as long... Then I showered and shampooed my hair with my regular shampoo and conditioner. At first, I feared the roots were going to be a little too reddish but as I dried my hair, I changed my mind. It came out a beautiful shimmery medium natural blonde and it's a little lighter at the top layers and appears to have some natural depth and low lights as well. It is shiny, even and gorgeous throughout. Nearly ALL the grays are gone (usually, even if I don't wash my hair afterwards, I can see tons of grays left over). And the color really looks like it did back when I was ten! I'm stoked! My husband, who never spontaneously comments after I do my own color, even said it's a perfect 10!!! Total cost $30 vs $170 at the salon (and I think it feels so much better, too!)

Criticisms: I'm not in love with the Natural Instincts conditioner (too heavy and leaves hair flat, slick and overly coated w/ crap), the packaging is nothing new. I wish it came with a mixing bowl & nice flat brush, since the bottle tip is no good for the quick, gentle application hair craves- it almost forces you to over-saturate your scalp and you have to scrub whatever is left of the color down into your hair tips. Go get the bowl and a real color brush, use more product than you think you need and consult a color expert to find out if you may need a stronger volume developer too. And good luck, hope you're as happy with your results as I am:)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2008 10:57:00 PM More reviews by mnoble

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have a natural base color of dark blond. I frequently get carried away with the bleach to be a lighter blond and end up with brassy yellow bright hair. I used 8c Medium Blond and it worked really nicely. Not only did it cut all the brass but my hair felt pretty soft after. But definitely follow the directions, it looks like it would make your hair pretty dark if you leave it on too long.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/10/2008 9:38:00 PM More reviews by squared3017

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

when i went through my blonde phase (complete with extreme brassiness, since my natural hair color is medium brown and i was trying to make it medium to dark blonde...) i used this in attempt to tone down the brassiness in my hair. there was a lot of it, lots of gold. i was under the impression that this would be an ash base to help to neutralize unwanted gold and orange tones, but this didn't really do anything. in fact, my hair color, in addition to being too dark, turned out ridiculously warm for something that claims to eliminate brass. so it was basically a waste of money and i probably would have been better off just buying one of the regular ash blondes from the natural instincts collection.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2008 8:15:00 PM More reviews by bedhead19

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

first, this says it will cover your grays as long as you aren't over 50% gray.

it did not.

i have sparkling white hairs mixed in with my (fake) dark ash blond highlights and you can fully see them. not as bad as before. but they are there, and i'm sure after i shampoo they will be bright again

the upside is it did tone down the blond brassiness, but it isn't ASH like it claims it will be after you color. it just isn't as brassy and fake blond looking. and i have good highlights to begin with, they just get too light from the sun and i have to tone them.

my hair feels soft, but until i put the conditioner in, it did feel quite a bit dry and mangly.

i'm not 100% disappointed, i might buy this again if i can't find toner, but over all my hair just looks a little different and a little darker. which i guess is better than turning out a whole lot worse. but not as good as turning out like the picture on the box that claimed would be my results.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2008 1:24:00 PM More reviews by nella1969

My natural hair colour is dark ash blonde, that has gone very brassy from previous colouring. I used Medium Blonde, 8C.... I was afraid that the Dark blonde would too dark. My hair came out beautiful ...no green hue . The brassiness is gone. Looks very natural and compliments my skin tone very well. I may try the Dark Blonde, next time and will update my review.